Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
GOT GOOSE?
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mwj8ztxv60

State trooper given final salute

CAREY -- Activity in the village of Carey ground to a halt Monday as State Highway Patrolman Andrew Baldridge was remembered during a funeral Mass at Our Lady of Consolation Basilica.

Mourners, including hundreds of federal, state and local law enforcement officers from throughout Ohio and surrounding states, came to Carey on a cold, foggy Monday morning to pay tribute to Baldridge.

The 25-year-old Carey native, less than two months into his career as a state trooper with the Bucyrus post of the State Highway Patrol, was killed Thursday night in a one-car rollover accident when the cruiser he was driving went off Ridge Township 95, south of Ohio 103 and west of Carey.

On Monday, state troopers from across Ohio turned out to pay tribute to their fallen comrade. State Highway Patrol troopers from neighboring states like Indiana and Pennsylvania also made the trip to Carey to pay their respects.

But the big turnout by members of the law enforcement community was dwarfed by the number of family, friends and Carey community members who jammed the spacious church. Several mourners had to stand in the back because there was no room for them to sit.

Gov. Ted Strickland, who ordered flags at public buildings to be flown at half-staff until sunset Monday in honor of Baldridge, spoke at the memorial service.

The Rev. J.R. Hadnagy tried to sum up the feelings of many in attendance during his memorial service homily.

"He was the kind of guy you or I would want to have as a son or to have our daughter marry," Hadnagy said.

"He was the kind of person that whether he was working at the IGA, sheriff's department or coaching, he made whoever he was with feel important. He didn't think about it, he just did it by instinct.

"That's how in just 25 years he touched so many lives."

Near the end of the service, Gov. Strickland and State Highway Patrol Superintendent David Dicken both praised Baldridge's service, not only to the state patrol but also to his community.

Strickland said he heard Baldridge speak at his graduation from the State Highway Patrol academy in December, and was impressed.

"We remember a young man worthy of our tears and of our joy," Strickland said. "His record at the academy earned the respect of his fellow cadets and an invitation to be the academy's commencement speaker.

"I returned to my office and I shared with my staff how impressed I was with the eloquence of his words and the eloquent way he spoke them.

"Andrew focused his remarks on his gratitude for others, and for the support he had received from his teachers, his fellow cadets and his family.

"Andrew dreamed of being a state trooper and for that we are profoundly grateful," Strickland said.

The governor also praised Baldridge for living his life for the benefit of others as a volunteer coach, and for volunteering for the fire department and sheriff's department before realizing his dream of becoming a state trooper.

As Baldridge's body was carried out of the basilica, the hundreds of officers attending the service saluted the fallen trooper one final time. Dozens of police cars lined the streets surrounding the church, and led Baldridge's funeral procession to St. Mary's Cemetery where he was laid to rest.

As the procession left the church and made its way toward the cemetery, friends who knew Baldridge well were left to reflect on his short life.

"Andy was in my first fifth-grade class I taught at Carey," said Carey teacher and coach Eric Mullholand. "He was the perfect example for the kids in Carey. He would have done anything for anyone. That's just the kind of person he was."

·
Don't be "That Guy"
7,400 Posts
I have the utmost respect for Ohio state troopers. they are one of the most professional law enforcement agencies out there. you will never see a fat state trooper waddle up to your car after pulling you over. they always have immaculate uniforms, and are very professional during traffic stops. OSP holds themselves to a higher standard than most agencies, and they are one of the toughest to get into. you can be assured, that even if this kid was only 2 months out of the Academy, that he had his shit together, and was a top knotch officer.

What I don't understand is how he was involved in a single car, roll over accident while on duty. what a shame.

Here's a toast...

·
GOT GOOSE?
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What I don't understand is how he was involved in a single car, roll over accident while on duty. what a shame.
he was driving with his training partner they were on their way to a call he miss judged a curve and the car went off the road his partner was in fair condition last i heard

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
I have the utmost respect for Ohio state troopers. they are one of the most professional law enforcement agencies out there. you will never see a fat state trooper waddle up to your car after pulling you over. they always have immaculate uniforms, and are very professional during traffic stops. OSP holds themselves to a higher standard than most agencies, and they are one of the toughest to get into. you can be assured, that even if this kid was only 2 months out of the Academy, that he had his shit together, and was a top knotch officer.

Here's a toast...
unless you work in the trucking industry, then all they want to do is shove their nightstick as far up your ### as they can get it without the benefit of a reach around, kiss, or vaseline for even the slightest infraction. Ohio, Cali., Ill., NJ and NY are the worst as far as truckers are concerned.

·
Bippity Boppity Buppity
379 Posts
unless you work in the trucking industry, then all they want to do is shove their nightstick as far up your ### as they can get it without the benefit of a reach around, kiss, or vaseline for even the slightest infraction. Ohio, Cali., Ill., NJ and NY are the worst as far as truckers are concerned.
Show some damn respect. This is neither the time or thread to post this. If you want to rant about the "nightstick treatment" of truckers by cops start another thread.

·
Administrator
79,421 Posts
R.I.P. :(

x

Maybe this isn't the time, place or thread but they know officers often times must travel at a high rate of speed. Things can happen. Case in point. That being said. They wear bulletproof vests and take other precautions right? Why are the cars any different? Race car drivers travel at high rates of speed. Now I know they have completely fabricated cars where the entire frame is a cage but maybe they should start beefing up the frames for cars that they know are going to go into police service from the factory. At the very least install a roll cage. It might have helped in this officers case. They often have to use there car to stop another car which means making contact with another vehicle. I just think it would make sense to make the police cars a little tougher. Cages, even better seats with a 5 point harness since they travel at such high speed. I know they have to exit the car quickly also but they make quick releases for the harnesses. It just seems to me that they already have a dangerous job the way it is why not make them safer if they can. Can it really cost that much to put in a roll cage and harness. I'd rather see my tax dollars to go that then some of the stupid stuff it goes to know.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
No disrespect to you, but please show some respect to this guy whether or not you like them...he lost his life doing his duty. As stated, start this topic elsewhere.

Same from me: RIP brother.

·
Don't be "That Guy"
7,400 Posts

x

Maybe this isn't the time, place or thread but they know officers often times must travel at a high rate of speed. Things can happen. Case in point. That being said. They wear bulletproof vests and take other precautions right? Why are the cars any different? Race car drivers travel at high rates of speed. Now I know they have completely fabricated cars where the entire frame is a cage but maybe they should start beefing up the frames for cars that they know are going to go into police service from the factory. At the very least install a roll cage. It might have helped in this officers case. They often have to use there car to stop another car which means making contact with another vehicle. I just think it would make sense to make the police cars a little tougher. Cages, even better seats with a 5 point harness since they travel at such high speed. I know they have to exit the car quickly also but they make quick releases for the harnesses. It just seems to me that they already have a dangerous job the way it is why not make them safer if they can. Can it really cost that much to put in a roll cage and harness. I'd rather see my tax dollars to go that then some of the stupid stuff it goes to know.

great idea, but...yea, it'll add too much cost. first off, go on a ride along with ANY cop agency. you will see that they manage to make a large full size sedan like a crown vic, feel like a Honda Fit, just by putting radios, computers, light/siren controls, cage to separate front to back for prisioner transport, rifle or shotgun mount, plus all the gear the cops carry on their person, side arm, cuffs, radio, knife, etc. and the bulk of their vest as well...in order to squeeze a cage in there, you'd be making it impossible for them to fit, which means...like you said, built a purpose built car, not "retro-fit" a current model to meet the needs. that means too much extra cost for an agency that's funded by tax dollars, and is already forced to source things out to the lowest bidder. ask the people for a tax hike to fund safer police cruisers...and you'll be laughed at.

it's sad really.

and ColoDak....wow. you have no class. your post proves that you are the stereotypical "trucker"

·
Registered
139 Posts
I know sometimes we dont exactly like or get along with the Police.
But when you think about it they are here to remind us to refrain from doing stupid fool hardy things. They have to endure alot of disrespect from people at times. Just try to imagine life without some sort of rules and regulations on the road.
To me, Police and Fire Fighters rank right up their with our men and women of the Armed forces. And should always get the understanding and respect we give the Armed Forces.
To get into the OSP is a big thing. This boy had the "Right Stuff" to be a OSP or any other Highway Patrol. So on that note. He deserves our respect and love and support. If I remember right he left behind a family.
My heart n prayers go out to his family.
Thank You & God Bless,
Gwapo

G

·
I know sometimes we dont exactly like or get along with the Police.
But when you think about it they are here to remind us to refrain from doing stupid fool hardy things. They have to endure alot of disrespect from people at times. Just try to imagine life without some sort of rules and regulations on the road.
To me, Police and Fire Fighters rank right up their with our men and women of the Armed forces. And should always get the understanding and respect we give the Armed Forces.
To get into the OSP is a big thing. This boy had the "Right Stuff" to be a OSP or any other Highway Patrol. So on that note. He deserves our respect and love and support. If I remember right he left behind a family.
My heart n prayers go out to his family.
Thank You & God Bless,
Gwapo
Very good point. I think disrespect for the Police is more of a generation thing than anything else. When I was young, my Daddy taught me to RESPECT the Police regardless of the situation and to this day, regardless of how young or old the officer may be, they will always hear Yes Sir...No Sir...Yes Ma'am...No Ma'ma from me. Obey the laws and you won't have to deal with them.

Anytime a life is lost, regardless of whether they wore a badge or not, it's a very sad thing for the family to have to deal with and this situation is no exception. R.I.P

·
Registered
651 Posts
In general

I find staties to be more squared away than alot of other agencies, local or federal. I respect all law enforcement, but have found the troopers in most states to have the best combination of courtesy, politeness, professionalism, and the kind of situational awareness that would make any a-hole think twice. It is a sad thing... you make a million split second judgement calls every day any one of which could mean this. Guys like this knowingly and willingly answer the call anyway. If a police funeral procession is headed through your area whether you know the guy or are connected to the profession or not, take some time and pay your respects. It would be more appreciated than you could ever realize. Big pet peave of mine in Philly when we had a series of cop-killings in 08 was that there wasn't much indignation expressed about it like there are about alot of other things and the public didn't show up to pay its respects in particularly big numbers. For many people it was just one more of those things that caused bad traffic.

·
I Heart Boost...and M/T's
5,951 Posts

Here's a toast...
Same with Indiana state Troopers, and pretty much any state troopers for that matter. Now Sheriffs, and city cops, thats a different story.:huh:

·
Registered
651 Posts
Complicated

x

Expense, liability(when it comes to frame alterations) and practicality. Police vehicles don't come from the factory as-is. They come with police-type options packages but then are outfitted with the equipment and running gear at separate vendors. The issues you raise are in the right spirit, but just aren't practical for alot of reasons.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts