Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a tough time deciding if I should get a Roll Pan or not.

Most of my friends say no, but they're mostly off-road guys who only care about lifts, bush-bars, and stuff.

Anyways, They look good on darker Dak's but what about on Silvers? Think I should go with it, especially if I lower it, Lowered trucks with a Bumber look kinda silly eh?

·
Drop and destroy!!
404 Posts
:cool: Lifted or lowered, a roll pan would look good on any truck IMO.

Maybe the reason your friends with the lifted trucks don't want a rollpan is because, in all honesty, they don't provide a lot of protection for the rear of your ride.

Another reason could be that to get into the back of a lifted truck it is a little harder without a rear bumper to step on, and get up into the bed of the truck.

Rear bumpers don't look bad, but for the ultimate in the looks department a rollpan is the way to go. Your sure as heck not gonna put a rear bush bumper or tubular bumper on a lowered Dakota though. :nono:

I've got a SS II urathane rear rollpan on my Dakota. I went with the urathane because of the ruggedness of it. Fiberglass rollpans have a tendancy to get holes or "spiders" in the paint from rocks thrown from the rear tires because their not as flexable. It's the same material as your lower front valance below the front bumper.

If you decide on fiberglass, urathane or metal the best thing I can tell you is to "Rockguard" the backside of it to prevent damage from rocks from the rear tires.

Hope this helps you out somewhat on your decision. :huh:

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I like roll pans myself, but safety wise I heard they suck. no rear end protection. I'd get a roll pan myself If I had a dakota. that's what insurance is for.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ok, you've persuaded me, ima say yes to a roll-pan.

Yeah Ima go with the SS II also, just all of the materials you named (fibreglass, etc.), got a price differnece between them?

Hey Alta Boy, noticed your from Alberta, I'm curious looking at your truck youv'e done a thing or two with mods, where you get this stuff? A lot of places theres always outrageous shipping charges to Canada or none at all. Anyways where do you get most of your stuff?

·
Drop and destroy!!
404 Posts
CanucksDakotaRT said:
Ok, you've persuaded me, ima say yes to a roll-pan.

Yeah Ima go with the SS II also, just all of the materials you named (fibreglass, etc.), got a price differnece between them?

Hey Alta Boy, noticed your from Alberta, I'm curious looking at your truck youv'e done a thing or two with mods, where you get this stuff? A lot of places theres always outrageous shipping charges to Canada or none at all. Anyways where do you get most of your stuff?
I don't have any price differences between the various rollpans but I did get my roll pan here in Canada. Pretty much everything else was bought from the USA either by Ebay or other suppliers.

If they don't get you on shipping from the states they get you on their ridiculas markup here in Canada. I'll get you a number posted from where I got my rollpan. There usually fairly decent with "out of town" purchases and will give you some kind of a discount.

·
Premium Member
9,131 Posts
yes a roll pan would clean up the back side of the truck alot!

Also PM me and I can give you a price on that roll pan shipped

·
One of the Elite
1,736 Posts
Im not a lifted guy, and I say Nae to rollpans. Two reasons. First of all, they dont provide protection to the frame, bed, or tailgate. And although insurance can fix the problems, then you gotta worry bout paint matching and all that jazz. The second reason, is, to me personally, I think they add a feminine quality, and I am not about making my truck look feminine at all. But, those are my reasons. If ya want one, go for it.

~CYCLONE_06

V

·
0 Posts
them there are fighting words, you calling me feminine ....... lmao :p j/k

yeah your right that they dont offer that much protection but I cant tell you how many times I slammed my bumper in the dirt going up steep hills while offroad. To me they actually aid in clearance and what not, havent hit since!

plus, I like the smoothness of them, they complement the dakota body style really well, cant say the same for other trucks tho!

·
Super Modder
4,368 Posts
i like the look of rollpans too, but i feel better and safer with my bumper...since ive had it painted about a year and a half ago, someone bumped it in the parking lot, someone slammed my gate into it, ive backed into my gate, and my 6 year old son used to it stop his bike cause he was going to fast...imagine the damage if i never had my bumper...so im keeping mine...and dakotas have nice lookin bumpers i might add.

·
Drop and destroy!!
404 Posts
CYCLONE_06 said:
The second reason, is, to me personally, I think they add a feminine quality, and I am not about making my truck look feminine at all. But, those are my reasons. If ya want one, go for it.

~CYCLONE_06
:stick: Cyclone......... How do you come up with this anology for a rollpan? Your'e kidding, right?

:rofl: He He He.....

D

·
0 Posts
Bumper and a hitch...

if i had a roll pan in my truck i would have been fucked... some douche rear ends me when im stopped at a red light and i had the regular bumper on my truck and a ball hitch. My bumper bent down a little bit but the front of that guys saturn was fucked up, hitch ball went through his lisence plate too.

So do you guys think a truck that has big tires and shit (not lifted yet but hopefully soon) will look good with a roll pan? I always saw it as a thing for slammed daks and so forth...

regardless... beware that if you do get rear ended with a roll pan... your probably going to shed a tear.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I had the street scene generation 1 roll pan on my truck. The roll pan itself is nice but It didn't look good on my truck with the stampede body kit. I put the stock one back on and I like it better. I will paint the black plastic behind the license plate and the 2 steps on either side of it. Hopefully it will turn out good. I have seen roll pans on lifted trucks and they look good if its of good quality.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I was wondering something. I have 4" Dual Exhaust tips. What would i do with them if I were to get a roll pan? Would it look funny with them hanging down? I was going to get one already, but i figured i would ask.
thanks

·
Registered
106 Posts
They make roll pans with the exhaust tip cut outs and im not talking about the cuda type roll pans. I cant find the pics or info on them right now, but i have seen them. I know ive seen them in the Truckin Magazine. I think they were on the site that recently had the bogo free sale too. Sorry i couldnt be of more help.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts