Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Disturbing the peace
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to replace my old original bulbs on my Dakota,and I decided to try out a cheap set of xenon bulbs.These are just to hold me over until christmas,when I will be getting a full set of some really nice bulbs.I got some 65w ultra-whites.Will I see much of an improvement over the originals?It probably sounds stupid asking this,but I dunno when I will be able to go put them in,if I will even be able to.

·
One of the Elite
1,736 Posts
What kind are they ?

What kind of bulbs did you get ? I have some super plasma Euro Lite bulbs I got from Circuit City. They are so much brighter than stock. I would say probably 60% better vision. I also got matching fog light bulbs. You will definately notice a difference. The key to buying bright bulbs is to stay within the stock wattage range. The hight beam should be 65w and the low should be 55 w. If you get bulbs with more than that, they will eventually burn your wiring harness, because they burn so hot.

~CYCLONE_06

G

·
I was extremely disapointed in the headlights of my Dakota compared to my Dodge Avenger, PT Cruiser and even my 68 Barracuda with regular 7" round halogens.

The Sylvania SilverStars were highly recomended on another Dakota forum so I got a set of those. A definate improvement but still not up to the cars mentioned above. So I ordered up a set of 55/100 watt zenons figuring the extra wattage on high beam would make a difference. On low beam they are not as good as the SilverStars and on high beam they are about the same maybe a little better. I found that the Xenon's actually go past white to giving everything a slight blue hue.

For now I added driving lights into the valence where the factory fog lights go. I have them wired to go on and off with the high beams and this made a bigger difference than either of the two bulbs I have tried.

My son has PIAA bulbs in his GMC pick-up and they are amazing, I just wish he used the same 9007 bulb so I could try them in the Dakota before I drop that kind of money.

Also, I would like to hear from some one that has purchased the euro replacement head light assemblies. Seems to me the cars with the best lights have little or no flutting on the lens. I wonder how much the of an improvement a lens like that in the Dakota would make.

·
One of the Elite
1,736 Posts
I have them

I have the Euro Headlights in my dakota. They are probably 100 percent better than stock. Thats why I can see so well. If you want a set, you can go to www.dakotausa.com and send the site owner dakotausa a private message and get a set. They are very reasonably priced, and improve vision by a tenfold. That, combined with the bulbs i mentioned from circuit city (they are $14.00 for the set of 9007 bulbs, and $10.00 for either the 893 or 894 fog bulbs). Very nice, and no colored tints, pure white clean light.

~CYCLONE_06

G

·
Thanks! I have seen him advertsing them but I am not interested in the styling aspect just want to see better. You are the first that I have heard state the work better. I will look into getting them after Christmas.

·
One of the Elite
1,736 Posts
Worth the buy

They are definately worth getting. If you want to see better, get them. The only thing I had to do when I got mine was change where they were pre aimed. They were not aimed to far up, they are pre set for maybe 10 feet in front of the truck, so you will have to adjust them accordingly. You will also be impressed on how much cleaner the front of your truck will look, even if thats now what you are going for. Then, get you some bulbs from Circuit City, called Euro Lite. They are Street Legal, and are stock wattage. You will be seeing like a new man. If you want to see what they look like installed, go to the thread on this site in the photo section called "new custom tag" posted by myself. There is a photo.

Goodluck.

~CYCLONE_06

1 - 6 of 6 Posts