Dakota Durango Forum banner

writing this from the hospital

15K views 113 replies 50 participants last post by  mexico 
#1 ·
so im now in genesys hospital in grand blanc. last night around5pm i was driving down owen road at a steady 50mph. this is a two lane road and the oncoming traffic was busy. a line of cars. there are subdivision entrances all over the side of the roads. so it wasnt to surprising when a black impala shot across my lane trying to get to the subdivision on my right. for a breif second i thought is was going to hit head on. but i ended up plowing right into the right passenger side of the impala. the truck somewhow ended up two wheeling it and for a second it thought i was landing on the roof but i ended on all four wheels thank god. the engine sounded really bad and there was smoke so i shut it off and tried to get out of the truck but as soon as i put pressure on my right leg i felt the worst pain of my whole life. I ended up falling out of the truck right into the lane of traffic crying and cursing. but two very nice people stopped traffic for me. they said i was lucky to be alive. because i had my foot slammed on the brakes the fracturing femur prevented me from shooting throught the window. the guy driving the impala is fine and he said he was sorry. god bless him

they had to reallign my femur right on the road hurt so bad i thought i was going to puke. im in the hospital now and after the most painful night of my life ive got a metal rod in my femur. havent heard anything about my truck but i hope they total it. it will never drive well again. apparantly there wwas 3 feet of intrusion but i didnt see i couldnt move. im going to have to quit this semester of college and wont be able to work for a while.

if anyone knows of any dakotas preferably an rt near michigan lemme know. i already misss evelyn . RIP

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey man, im prayin for a fast recovery for ya....when I was 16 I had a nasty biking accident that broke my arm and landed me 6 days in the hospital, 2 surgeries to rebuild the arm, 9 screws,1 plate, 1.5 mo. In a cast and 2 mo of physical therapy....I kinda know what your goin thru....

#5 ·
People always in a hurry. this is what i hate. sorry to hear about your broken bone but could be a lot worse. remember its just a truck no matter how much we love them. can be replaced. hope you do a speedy recovery and make sure this guy pays for everything.

#11 ·
Almost the same thing happened to me a couple of years ago. So, I know how you feel. I was in a head-on doing about 50 mph also... jammed my foot on the brake .... busted my ankle .... totalled the car. Doctor said that if it hadn't been for doing lots of deadlifting that I would have completely lost my ankle.

The bad thing was that fighting his and my insurance companies and the crooked hospital was worse than the broken ankle. So be warned, once the hospital billing department finds out that you were in an Auto accident and that large sums of insurance money may be involved, they get very very greedy (here in Arizona the law allows the hospital to get away with it, too).

Have a speedy recovery and good luck!!!!!

#53 ·
Sorry to hear that man, get lots of good drugs while you're there! :D

Being as the other guy was 100% at fault in this, HE is responsible for 100% of the medical bills, no questions asked. If he is uninsured or underinsured, then your UIM insurance picks up the difference, and then they go after him for it. They can't make you put anything out for it.

yah but its kinda too much. dont know how mcuh ill get back from insurance but i bought my truck for 7k
Do you have a limited tort clause on your insurance? If not, go after him for pain and suffering, lost wages, the whole nine.

lol i was crying like a baby as i collapsed out of the truck (it was smokin) and very soon i was debating whether i wanted a ram or another dak!

anyways the pains a LOT better now and im thinking clearly again. they say im lucky im alive as i wasnt wearing my seatbelt. if hadnt been mashing the brakes and broke my femur I would have ended up outside the front window. they say a broken femur is the worst pain you can feel as far as broken bones. I must agree it was insanely painful.
The reason you broke your femur is because when the airbag blew, it changed the way your body was moving. Sir Isaac was trying to embed the steering wheel into your face.. But because the airbag was there, you started 'rolling' over it, and your leg jammed between the floor and steering wheel. That's why it's stupid to drive without a seatbelt, and even stupider to drive without a seatbelt in a vehicle with airbags. No doubt in my mind you would have WALKED away from that with a seatbelt.

(Not shittin on ya.. I just always liked physics! :D)

Insurance companies, that I have had to deal with, have been decent on payouts. About 7 years ago, I managed to get an insurance company to shell out $3600 for an 89 Ford Ranger with 200k+ miles on it. Truck was maybe worth half of that, but since I was under 21 and it was my only form of transportation, (not to mention the other driver was drunk driving in a parking lot) and the threat of suing. The original offer of $1200 came back as $3600.

When my brother recently totaled his car, worth about 4k max, his insurance gave him almost $6500. Once again, his only car, couldn't afford car payments, and the list can go on.

I would research how much it would cost to replace your vehicle from a dealership (Blue Book, NADA, Edmunds, Black book: Retail price). Take that figure + any mods you had, and don't except any less from the insurance.

If it's not your fault (which sounds like it wasn't) the other persons insurance will do whatever they can to keep the lawyers out.
When I was in the accident with my Ramcharger, the other guy's insurance totaled it out for $2700. Book was I think $1600, and I had paid $1000 for it.

thanks for those who offered me trucks. Im going to have to wait to see about what i get from the insurance. the medical stuff comes first. im going to have to see what they give me. hopefully i can get a nice rt. or a ram. either way im in no rush since i wont be able to drive for another 3 months
Like I said, if you don't like what they give you for the truck, you can sue the rest out of the guy.

#24 ·
#25 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.