Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Grab life by the horns
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Saturday I was out with a friend getting some parts for his excursion and it started to snow.
coming up to a stoplight I started to brake and next thing I know the durango started to swerve and pow I hit right into the back of another vehicle. The durango needs a new bumper, right fender, grille and headlight. The grand am I ran into looked almost totaled. Their bumper, both rear taillights, and back windshield were damaged plus their trunk wouldn't close. I thought maybe it was just the way I had braked but on the way back just driving straight down the road at 30 mph the durango spun around. Maybe its the tires I got. They are yokohama geolanders. Well good thing is no one was hurt!

·
Grab life by the horns
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm stationed in Illinois now. My last duty station was Florida

·
Registered
317 Posts
I see... then what hskRT said... Get winter tires, you won't be sorry. Especially if you have spent most of your life living in places without snow. I live in a place where winter driving is a way of life. There is definatly a learning curve involved if you are not used to it.

·
Registered
121 Posts

·
Grab life by the horns
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess I'll shop around for some new tires. Kind of sucks though cause these aren't that old and don't have many miles on them.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Those might be ok for Atlanta, but up here in the great white north I prefer something like this..

http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Light-Truck/Discoverer-A-TW.aspx

IMO it's hard to find a true winter tire for a truck. Most of the ones that have the mountain/snowflake symbol are basically just A/T tires. If you look at the one in the link, that tire has tons of sipes like a winter tire you would find on a car.

·
17,622 Posts
That's why you buy snow, or snow/ice tires, not all seasons that might have a snow rating. I ran the Winterforce snow tires in my trck and was extremely happy with how well they worked in the snow. I also ad them studded since they have a more aggressive tread pattern for deeper snow, but not as many sipes as a tire better for ice.

·
145 DB Club
580 Posts
I have ran everything from BF-Goodrich A/T KO, Yokohama Geolander ATS, and currently running General Grabber AT2.....BF-Goodrich a/t being probably the worst I have ever run in the snow felt like my truck was on skates could not get any traction whatsoever.....and my current General Grabbers being the best.......while I won't disagree I have driven vehicles with dedicated winter tires on them and they are deff better........I have never had an issue running a winter rated all terrain....never had a crash in my life during the winter I traveled highways every weekend for 7 months in massive snow storms and rain storms .etc

1 - 10 of 10 Posts