Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Resident Craigslist Whore
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i found a set of Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's with low miles on them for sale locally. They're the older style tread, not the ones with Kevlar. (see pic below) i went on goodyears website, and these MT/R's are list as "MT/R (P)" but the guy says these tires are LT285/75R16's. so if they're not P as in passenger, what does that P mean on the website?

Attachments

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
I've NEVER seen a P285/75-16. The only vehicles that come with that size of a tire need much more than a standard rating.

The P may be a Goodyear thing that relates to that tire only...

·
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've NEVER seen a P285/75-16. The only vehicles that come with that size of a tire need much more than a standard rating.

The P may be a Goodyear thing that relates to that tire only...
i dont think any vehicle comes with that size. it was a set this guy had on his 2500 and he bought a bike, needs to sell them now. he says they say LT right before the size. im just wondering why goodyear put the P in there, or what it stands for.

·
10,424 Posts
Look on their website, the P is just something GoodYear added in reference to some feature they have in/on the tire. It's NOT the weight rating. Even if it were, these trucks come with P rated tires and that is plenty for the GVW we have.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Mine said LT. I had the "older" tread design. Never had a problem flinging mud out of them though. Great tires. They do wear quickly especially if you dont keep them aired up and have alignment or balancing problems

·
33" tires + 6 lift = Fun
309 Posts
ok let me chime in here i know these tires VERY WELL. first before you buy BEWARE these are the same tires the marine corp uses on our trucks. check the side for a stamp " MILITARY OZ" if it says that don't touch them (stolen) other than that they work pretty good for light offroad, dust, some mud, some sand. but the down side.. if it's deep mud or sand you'll get stuck. they are more or less very good on the road with good offroad "trail riding" i like them myself. i do recommend them as long as your not building a mudrunner or sandrig.

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
Obviosly they are p rated on the site, should say on the sidwall for sure. Either way you will be fine running them.

·
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
side note... humvee rims are 16.5 those may be off an older humvee can't be sure though... you may want to ask where he got those tires
these are not off a HMMWV, they are 16's, not 16.5's. i know, i was a heavy equipment mechanic in the Seabees for 5 years and worked on those piles of shit all the time :banana2:

·
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Obviosly they are p rated on the site, should say on the sidwall for sure. Either way you will be fine running them.
the guy says they have LT285/75R16 right on the sidewall. im just trying to decipher why the website would say P for the tire. i know i can run them, im just wondering if they're worth the $800 he's asking with 2500 miles on them. I had these same tires on my 79 GMC, they were 35x12.5's and loved them. that was before they even had the MT/R Kevlar, tho, so im tryin to sort through this before i make a decision.

·
10,424 Posts
The P has nothing to do with the load rating for this tire. A P rated tire does not have the P as part of it name. It's something GY is using for a feature they have. Do I need to say it again?

If they say LT(size), then they are a LT rated tire. If they were on his 3/4 ton truck, they should have at least a D rating, more appropriately an E.

·
33" tires + 6 lift = Fun
309 Posts
these are not off a HMMWV, they are 16's, not 16.5's. i know, i was a heavy equipment mechanic in the Seabees for 5 years and worked on those piles of shit all the time :banana2:

that's why i said i couldn't be sure. the trucks we run are all newer models, and i knot they ar 37x12.5R16.5 lol just wasn't sure if maybe older ones would have anything different.

·
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do I need to say it again?

If they say LT(size), then they are a LT rated tire. If they were on his 3/4 ton truck, they should have at least a D rating, more appropriately an E.
I'm not saying P is a load rating. im asking if the P is there for "(metric) passenger" as opposed to LT for "light truck." he said they say LT, so im just curious as to why its says "P" ANYWHERE on the website since its not.

that's why i said i couldn't be sure. the trucks we run are all newer models, and i knot they ar 37x12.5R16.5 lol just wasn't sure if maybe older ones would have anything different.
no, the older ones are all 16.5's, too. that was the smallest rim you could fit on heavy duty chevy drivetrains back in the day, and HMMWV"s are built by GM.

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
Not worth 800!

·
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not worth 800!
thats what i was thinkin. maybe 600. he said he needs them gone, so ill let it sit for a few weeks and if he still has them ill offer him that. they're not exactly what i was lookin for anyway, i want 305's, so if they get gone before i can get them cheap, oh well.

·
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
don't get them if it's not what you want. save and buy what you want. that's why i'm still running the tires i have, i'm waiting on the money for what i really want
if they're a good price, i ALWAYS pick up off road tires when i can, even if its not what i need/want. last summer i picked up a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers, LT325/60R18's with 5k miles on them for $300 because the guy "tried and couldnt sell them for any more than that." they sat in my garage for 3 weeks and a guy came out and bought them for $550. there's always a market for tires, especially brand name ones.

·
10,424 Posts
I'm not saying P is a load rating. im asking if the P is there for "(metric) passenger" as opposed to LT for "light truck." he said they say LT, so im just curious as to why its says "P" ANYWHERE on the website since its not.
Thing is, P normally IS the load rating. Standard load rating. It would take the place of the LT that is on those tires.

These tires are metric (obviously...), but they are not P-metric. A P265/70-16 tire is what came on these trucks, it does not have a C, D, or E load rating. It is a standard load tire (P). An LT265/75-16 tire could be a C, D, or E tire, but not a P, even though it is metric as well. Get it?

At any rate, the only size of this same tire you can get new anymore is a 255/55-19, listed on GoodYear's site and TireRack at $300+ each. Crazy.

For $200 a tire, you can get something better, cheaper. Brand new.

·
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i guess we'll have to agree to disagree. the load index is decided by the code FOLLOWING the tire size, not IN the tire size. according to a quick google search to verify, the P or LT is there for the same reason as C (commercial) or ST (special trailer service), to explain the use of the tire, NOT the load rating. the load rating is not displayed in the tire size (example LT285/75R16) as read on the tire. its a secondary set of number/letters.

ill even include this right from tire rack:

"Using a tire size P195/60R15 87S as our example, the 87S at the end of the size represents the tire's service description. A service description identifies the tire's load index and speed rating. Service Descriptions are required on all speed rated (except for Z-speed rated) tires manufactured since 1991."

sooooooo anyways.... again, i was just curious as to why they put a p anywhere near this tire on their website because ive only seen "P" as a representation of the tire being meant for "passenger" use. yes, a "passenger" rated tire will have less of a rated load index, but it is NOT there to identify the specific load index of the tire, only the intended use.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts