Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
frist off i would like to say hi. im am new to the forum and to mopar equitment period.. anyways i got a 05 dakota 2wd hoping to build it into a prerunner. the problem is i cant find not one thing aftermaket for it.... any tips where to start or ideals on good things to do to it. also anything to watch out for such as problems? thanks for the help guys....

·
Outlaws Phone Warden
12,864 Posts

Unfortunately, there really isn't any aftermarket for the gen IV daks......I don't want to sound rude, but if you want to build a prerunner dak, sell the one you have and get a gen III (97-04) they seem to have the best aftermarket support of all the daks.....

Oh and talk to rebel13, I think he could tell you more than you would need to know about lifted 2x4 and prerunner stuff.....he's a fuckin guru.....

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
Not on gen 4's. I know they make body lifts and coil spacers for them.

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
Not a welcome thread :jester: I keep a close eye!

·
Outlaws Phone Warden
12,864 Posts
frist off i would like to say hi. im am new to the forum and to mopar equitment period..

Not a welcome thread :jester: I keep a close eye!
Hmm....new guy, new thread, give the guy a flipping picture!!!!!!! He might not know about the new members section.......:hammer:

·
don't feed the bears
10,668 Posts
i think rebel has you on a technicality.

welcome.. gen 4's ( if thatw what you have i didnt look close) are pretty green in the aftrmarket world right now.. what are you looking to start with?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, says he's got an 05...
wait wait wait what am i getting myself into here lol. anyways yes its a 5 gen. i want to start with a lift and fenders. do you think the 2inch level kit will make the front end sit up nice on the 2wd. it does not seem to sit lower in the front. i also want to do lighting and skid plate..

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
Better?

2" leveling kit will look good. Skid plate will most likely have to be speacily made.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
first off my bad i was wrong it is a gen4.. thats crazy they would go all out of aftermart parts and then ass soon is 05 models are out nothing... and it not like its a 09 where they have just not had time to make them yet. they have had 4 years to come up with something.... (thank you rebel13 i feel much more welcomed) lol:banana2:

·
Chevy SUCKS!!!!!!!
1,685 Posts
Yea, for the most part the off road community has completely overlooked the potential in our rigs. It sucks, but at the same time it makes it that much more enjoyable in the end! You have no idea how much it pleases me to take a 2wd Dak out on the beach and go around stuck lifted 4x4 S-10s and Colorados and see the looks on their faces as I go by lol. Unfortunately it makes anything you want to do more expensive, and anything you want to do over the 2" spring spacers for the front and 3" body lift will need to be custom done.

·
Banned
25,820 Posts

·
Outlaws Phone Warden
12,864 Posts
Wow reb, that's fucked up........

And sobe, try finding aftermarket oh say body kits for a 96.......club cab, not regular cab......good luck....

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
If your looking to build a prerunner you have three options. They only make short arm lift kits for gen III 2wd's, so you're no better off.
#1 buy a ranger or yota
#2 grow a money tree, find a good fab shop
#3 learn to fab
:D
Sucks Dakota's are ignored aftermarket wise, but it makes me happy to know that modified Dakota's are unique, rare and just plain awesome.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If your looking to build a prerunner you have three options. They only make short arm lift kits for gen III 2wd's, so you're no better off.
#1 buy a ranger or yota
#2 grow a money tree, find a good fab shop
#3 learn to fab
:D
Sucks Dakota's are ignored aftermarket wise, but it makes me happy to know that modified Dakota's are unique, rare and just plain awesome.
thanks. im going to try and stick it out and build it... it would be cool to be the one and only 05 dak preruned out around here... i saw something about the reson they dont make a bigger lift is becuase it would be to much stress on the rack and pinon. do you think it would break easyer then most if i jumped it or hit some ruff? does anyone have picuters of a gen4 prerunner they have built? i think im going to start with the 4wd 2'' leveling kit and since mine is 2wd drive i think it will left the front a little and then do the 3" body lift. i have a really good friend that is good with fiber glass and im going to see if we can build some finders. not sure and im going to do about a bummer or skid plate. what would be your ideal place to mount lights on this truck? cmon keep the ideals rolling i like it......:drive:

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
thanks. im going to try and stick it out and build it... it would be cool to be the one and only 05 dak preruned out around here... i saw something about the reson they dont make a bigger lift is becuase it would be to much stress on the rack and pinon. do you think it would break easyer then most if i jumped it or hit some ruff? does anyone have picuters of a gen4 prerunner they have built? i think im going to start with the 4wd 2'' leveling kit and since mine is 2wd drive i think it will left the front a little and then do the 3" body lift. i have a really good friend that is good with fiber glass and im going to see if we can build some finders. not sure and im going to do about a bummer or skid plate. what would be your ideal place to mount lights on this truck? cmon keep the ideals rolling i like it......:drive:
Build the skid-plate, mount them on top of that.

If you're looking to get into prerunners, go to http://www.dezertrangers.com/ start a thread there, look around. You're from cali try to find the local crew and see if you can ride along for a trail (or at least hang around a meet) , you'll learn more in one day then three years of searching online.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts