Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Engine turns over but will not start. There was a sudden pop under the hood. I can hear the TPS hum and a clicking noise from under the fuse/relay box. Is that the fuel pump relay? A vacuum hose to the unit was split which probably explains why the idle was hunting from 650 to 1500rpm.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got it started - runs VERY rough

Barely got it started but it's running extremely rough. Won't idle. So I know I'm getting spark, could it be starving for fuel? Found out that the TPS hum is OK but the clicking noise continues. In fact, the miss seems to be in unison with the clicks!?!?

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
Uhh...the TPS shouldn't be making any noise at all. There is voltage in, and a/some variable resistor(s) that, depending on the shaft position, change the output voltage which the PCM deciphers etc etc.

First things first, what stinking engine do you have? 01 QC Dak could have had the 3.9, 4.7 or 5.9 :huh:

Now that it is running, does it smooth out if you rev it up or does it still run very rough? If it smooths out, you are probably due to clean the throttle body thoroughly (IAC motor/valve included)

Fuel pump relay should not continuously click either, just comes on with the key.

·
Don't be "That Guy"
7,400 Posts
sounds like a bad relay--could be the fuel pump relay, could be the relay that powers the ignition system...I think it's called the auto-shutdown relay.

also look for vacuum leaks. an engine struggling to stay running with spikes in RPM is typically a vacuum leak and the O2 sensors are trying to figure out what the heck is going on--the computer dumps fuel in because it goes lean due to the leak, the rpms climb, then it's rich and it cuts off the injectors, and it goes lean again--this will go on for about a minute until the computer learns the right amount of fuel to dump in to compensate for the leak.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It's a 4.7L 2WD. I replaced the crank sensor & the TPS. Repaired a vacuum leak between the Purge Solenoid and Purge Pump. The "clicking" has stopped but the NEW Engine and Fuel Pump Relays now make a humming noise. Also, I got a "no bus" error on the odometer. It will not idle. It only runs with the engine racing, and not at all smoothly. Somebody else thinks it's a fusible link or some other fuse that popped. I can't find any burnt ones. It's looking more like the PCM to me. I'll get a OBD code reader before spending $324 for the brain! Appreciate your help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts