Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Ghost Rider
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First a little background, 04 Dakota, Regular cab 4X4 with 3.7 and 5 speed with 79K miles. Started getting a whinning or roaring sound over 25-30 mph, kind of like when you're running super swamper tires. I figured it was probably a wheel hub bearing going south so jacked the front end and sure enough...play in the front wheel when grabbed at the 12 and 6 o'clock position on the passenger side. Ordered a new wheel hub bearing assembly and installed it today, crap...noise is still there. When I inspected the old bearing assembly it felt fine so I swapped it out to the drivers side figuring maybe it was bad...nope, noise still there! I checked all the CV boots for damage, they're fine, checked all the gearbox fluids and they're good, and there doesn't seem to be any slop in the universal joints. BTW, the wheel slop is from worn upper ball joints...did figure that out. So, anyone got any ideas??

·
Ghost Rider
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, it appears to be the pinion bearing in the rear end...anyone every changed these out, is it a pita? Might be an excuse to buy a junkyard posi unit.

·
Ghost Rider
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone have a feel for how much it would cost labor wise to have the pinion and carrier bearings replaced? The kits run about $100 and I figure if you're in there might as well change all the bearings. Thoughts...?

·
Ghost Rider
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got a local powertrain shop that quoted me $600 to install a complete bearing kit...sound about right? I figure since it's apart might as well change all the bearings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.