Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I do it? I have my dash all apart like a dummy thinking the factory deck would have preouts...duh.

Anyways its the "8-speaker" infinity system with 6 cd changer in an 02 R/T CC.

Any ideas, I'm leaving my truck like this until I figure it out b/c it was a PITA getting it all apart.

Also, what wire do I tap into for the amp turn on lead?

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
whats the convertor do? how does it work and how do i hook it up?

thanks for the quick response

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
looks like this right?
http://vcdhit.com/player/1-ACC/HL-50/1.jpg

how would that work? the speaker wires from the HU would go into that and the RCA's would be the out but what about the speakers? Do you need to tap into the speaker wires with an additional wires? is that how it works? Does that big ass thing fit behind your HU?

·
Registered
402 Posts
I have never used one myself, but i know that they are about 1"x2"x4" in size, so not too big. But yes, they look like that. I believe that you can just tap into the line somewhere and get the power from that. You do not necessarially need to put it behind your radio, you could hide it virtually anywhere. But you just tap into the lines and then you have your RCA Output.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Line Level Convertor

Hey Everyone,

I'm a newbie and this is my first post.

If you haven't finished yet, you'll need a line level convertor. You can pick one up at Best Buy or Circuit City for $20 or so. It should come as the described 1"x2"x4" box with two speaker leads (a positive and negative each) for a total of four wires, and a pair of RCA jacks. You will need to splice in to your factory stereo wiring harness and solder the wires on the convertor to their respective wires on the back of the factory stereo. Also be sure to solder your remote lead from your amp to the turn on lead for the factory desk as well. Then run the RCA's to your amp. Most line level convertors will have a gain control to allow you to adjust the output of the convertor. Be sure to adjust this prior to putting everything back. Also be sure to tape or heat shrink your soldered connections to avoid shorting things out.

I did this in my 00 RT with the Infinity system and with a Rockford amp and a pair of 15's it really came alive. I spliced into the rear channels to allow fade control from the factory head unit - this worked quite well.

Something else I did later that worked well for a road trip where I needed the back seat was to take the 15's out and I did a cut out for a single 8 in each door. I also put a 4 in each door with a bass cap and off the factory stereo the bass response was exceptional considering I was not using a sealed enclosure.

I've since put an 8 in each "quarter" (?) of the extended cab - they don't sound as good as the doors, but definately add some bottom end.

Hope you find this useful. Best of luck.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That helped alot! Thanks man! I was hoping I could get that part locally, that's good to know as well.

When you said you spliced into the rear speakers so you had fade control, does that mean you can control the volume of the subs or shut them off completely by changing the fade on the headunit? If so that is great!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Fade Control

Yeah, pretty much. I spliced into the rear so that I could fade entirely to the front and only have the fronts play, not the subs. The only catch is that by doing this you also fade out the rear speakers, but it is still nice to be able to turn down the subs abit when playing rock, country, etc and bring it back for rap and other music that compliments the bass, without crawling under the seat with a screw driver to adjust the gain on the amp. I still ended up shifting the bass EQ below flat quite often, but then I did have a pair of 15's on a factory system. Be sure to post how it turns out for you. Also, be sure that down the road if you add an after market head unit, that you run the remote turn on lead from the amp to the deck or you'll end up with a turn on thump.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyone have a wiring diagram for my stereo?

I need to know which wires are my rear speakers and which I can use for the turn-on lead.

Thanks again, STeve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts