Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Professional Slacker
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I'm getting a deal on a set of winter tires(new and up to 4). I'm thinking about just getting a set of two(2) for the truck since I am 2wd atm and it'd be more then half cheaper. I've been told to go ahead and get all four for best results. I do need new tires all the way around and I was planning on using the winter tires as get me bys untill I get enough money to buy another set of tires.

I guess the main thing I'm asking:

Supposedly were supposed to get quite a bit of snow around here.. If it does that it will stick around for a while, and I wanted to know does it matter if I get 2 or 4 tires? All I want to know, what would be best?

·
14 cylinders
2,101 Posts
Snows on all 4 is always better. People just assume that the drive wheels are what needs the snow traction the most. Until you try to turn.

·
Professional Slacker
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am a 4WD but I have the drive shaft out due to the piece on the t-case rusting out inside and quit turning. As soon as i get my hands on that piece i'll be 4WD again.

I've been told having all four helps with turning and manuvering.
Another questions I forgot to ask was, is it fine to drive regular road with winter tires for a while? I'll be driving on these for a while untill I save up enough for a set of some streets.

·
14 cylinders
2,101 Posts
I am a 4WD but I have the drive shaft out due to the piece on the t-case rusting out inside and quit turning. As soon as i get my hands on that piece i'll be 4WD again.

Another questions I forgot to ask was, is it fine to drive regular road with winter tires for a while? I'll be driving on these for a while untill I save up enough for a set of some streets.
Yes it's fine. Although depending on what brand you get they might wear faster on dry pavement because of the softer compound. Some brands wear worse than others. They also wont provide you with as good of performance (squishier sidewalls, etc.) but you get used to it quick. I had snow tires on my beater Integra all summer when I had because, well, it was a beater and I wasn't about to buy two sets of tires for it.

·
Captain UN4GTBL
265 Posts
Snows on all 4 is always better. People just assume that the drive wheels are what needs the snow traction the most. Until you try to turn.
yeah, but if you put the snows on the front it will be spin city lol

4 matching winter tires is always best

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
Matching sets are the best route really...

That said, if I get called back to work before winter is done, I'm putting a pair of Firestone Winterforce tires on my DD Ranger. I've driven it around in the snow this year enough to be comfortable with the stopping and steering, but the 2wd with no LSD is killing me. It's so damn light in the back...

·
Stock Lookin'
3,040 Posts
Matching sets are the best route really...

That said, if I get called back to work before winter is done, I'm putting a pair of Firestone Winterforce tires on my DD Ranger. I've driven it around in the snow this year enough to be comfortable with the stopping and steering, but the 2wd with no LSD is killing me. It's so damn light in the back...
Throw a hundred pounds or so in the back.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts

OR, when you hit the brakes, the two tires with the snows on will stop faster than the ones without.

for example: in a FWD car, if you have snows on the front only, they'll stop faster and the rear will slide out from the side.

Put snows on all 4. Go to your local whatever the fuck you guys shop at (we have Canadian Tire as a hardware store) and look at the promotional videos.

Canadian Tires here play videos on loop that directly test having two snows versus all 4... I'll never get two snow tires versus all four.

·
10,424 Posts
looks like it's time to step up the weight :)
Nope, just the tires. It does fine for braking and lateral traction...I wouldn't expect much more from it. It's just forward traction that I find lacking. Sure, 4 winters would make it better, but I think it does well enough.

·
SPOOOOON!
568 Posts
4 snows always...

and, besides being a little noisy, you "could" run them all year, as long as it doesn't get to hot on the pavement. they could start chunkin off due to an already soft compound

·
10,424 Posts
Decent tire will be fine for year round use. We run winter tires on my wifes car year round.

Mastercraft (by Cooper) Glacier Grip II. 205/55-16. 25months, 42k miles and still 1/32" from the wear bars, very even. Ran over something and put a hole in one...now running Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60 due to the previous tires being out of stock. I hope these work as well and last as long...they were a good $125 more total.

·
Blown and Squirted
3,407 Posts
The repair bill be will be the same weather you have no-seasons or two snows. The cheapest way out of the accident is 4 snows.

·
Pre-Teen Giggle Brigade
6,840 Posts

come to nj, i got a awd tcase for u for 40 bucks. its like a 12 hour drive. id offer for my buddy to bring it but he wont put it in his trans am lol.

·
Ugliest Truck on here!!!
8,951 Posts
Mismatch tires are usually only an issue when you start changing sizes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts