Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i put on a K&N cold air intake about a month ago and changed the muffler to a flowmaster 40

i have a manual transmission

Last week i was driving around (it was cold as hell) and when i would slow down to stop at a light the truck would stall. Never figured out what was wrong and it went back to normal on me.

Today i jumped into the truck and it quickly reved up to 2000 rpm. I let it sit for awhile and it stayed at that rpm level. I started driving the truck around and i could take my foot off the pedal and it would cruise at 80 km/hour without me touching the pedal. I would downshift and it would rev up again.

It would slow itslelf down to the 2000 rpm when i was driving around. But never below that.

It would slow down when i applied the brake. (load on the drivetrain) and it would slow itself down until i put my foot on the clutch. Then back up.

I never seen the truck idle lower then 1500 today. It would usually idle around the 1000 or 900 before.

What would hte matter me? i just read something about throttle position sensor. Is that the right direction?

The intake sounds like its a vacumn ... sucking like crazy. I put my hand over the intake and sealed the tube and the truck stalled. So ... its not getting air from anyplace else but from the intake. THe linkage looks like the butterfly is shut on the Throttle body. Computer problem? or just the tps?

G

·
i put on a K&N cold air intake about a month ago and changed the muffler to a flowmaster 40

i have a manual transmission

Last week i was driving around (it was cold as hell) and when i would slow down to stop at a light the truck would stall. Never figured out what was wrong and it went back to normal on me.

Today i jumped into the truck and it quickly reved up to 2000 rpm. I let it sit for awhile and it stayed at that rpm level. I started driving the truck around and i could take my foot off the pedal and it would cruise at 80 km/hour without me touching the pedal. I would downshift and it would rev up again.

It would slow itslelf down to the 2000 rpm when i was driving around. But never below that.

It would slow down when i applied the brake. (load on the drivetrain) and it would slow itself down until i put my foot on the clutch. Then back up.

I never seen the truck idle lower then 1500 today. It would usually idle around the 1000 or 900 before.

What would hte matter me? i just read something about throttle position sensor. Is that the right direction?

The intake sounds like its a vacumn ... sucking like crazy. I put my hand over the intake and sealed the tube and the truck stalled. So ... its not getting air from anyplace else but from the intake. THe linkage looks like the butterfly is shut on the Throttle body. Computer problem? or just the tps?
Your IAC sensor is shot. Need to replace it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So i ended up putting the truck on the computer to read it.

Everything checked out ok. Decided to pull off the idle sensor motor (just below the tps) when i got it out there was a piece of plastic stuck in the valve holding the valve open. So it would not close. Therefore was the cause of the whole problem

The scanner said that the IAC sensor was in perfect condition...

Strange ... odd part is... where did the plastic come from?

·
I hate you people.
2,409 Posts
You have to drill a hole in the tube on 4.7L Dak kits for the IAT sensor and if you don't blow out all of the filings and shavings, they will get into places inside the engine where they don't belong.
Went through that and I was anal about making sure there was inside that tube when I put it together.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.