Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if you could fit the 5.7L hemi into an older model D and about how much that would cost? Would be kick azz to see it though

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yes it probably could be done, would need the computer and wiring harness, might be a good idea to swap out the tranny also to the new 5 speed tranny. I think if I ever keep my 2003 Durango R/T long enough, I would do something like that. Yes it would be a very interesting project. :)

·
Registered
504 Posts
I looked into the 5.7 install and it turned out to be rather pricey. After you get hit with the cost of the hemi then traney and wiring along with the PCM you have to cut metal to make it all fit. For the extra 95 HP it was not worth the effort.

Now you could build the 5.7 and make it into a monster but then again it would take a boat load of money to make it all happen. If you kept the 360 and spent just the money that you would spend for the hemi alone you would end up with something that would churn out 450 to 500 HP.

:explode:

·
Registered
166 Posts
mopar rt said:
I looked into the 5.7 install and it turned out to be rather pricey. After you get hit with the cost of the hemi then traney and wiring along with the PCM you have to cut metal to make it all fit. For the extra 95 HP it was not worth the effort.

Now you could build the 5.7 and make it into a monster but then again it would take a boat load of money to make it all happen. If you kept the 360 and spent just the money that you would spend for the hemi alone you would end up with something that would churn out 450 to 500 HP.

:explode:
Respectfully...I don't agree!

If you buy all new components and have someone else do the work, then it will cost $10000, but so will a 408 stroker.

On a budget, you can do this.
$1500 Used 2003-05 Hemi Engine and trans (20k miles)
$350 cheap MIG welder
$150 Motor mounts and Metal stock
$350 PCM reprogramming
$000 Adapting factory harness to fit Gen II Dakota. ($995 pre-made)
$75 Driveshaft work
$250 Custom Y-pipe
$300 Adjustable pressure fuel system.
$150 6.1 Cam
$3125 Total

What you would have would be a 400hp HEMI with a butt-load of torque. If you take my Buddy's Ram, he runs 13.68 with a 4800lb 2005 Ram with this engine, the cam, shift kit, and headers. In a light Gen II Dakota, we are talking at least 12.50's here. Also, remember that the new Hemi is about 120 lbs lighter than the 318/360.

Spend and extra $3000 and you can have a FAST XFI system, higher stall converter, Headers, a 273 Cam, and you will be pushing 500hp! For about $6000! Lets see anyone build a 500HP 408 for that price. All it takes is some fab work and a few long nights, but if you have the skills, then you can do it. I am working on it right now, so are a bunch of other Dakota guys.

·
Banned
9,045 Posts
flyboy01 said:
Respectfully...I don't agree!

If you buy all new components and have someone else do the work, then it will cost $10000, but so will a 408 stroker.

On a budget, you can do this.
$1500 Used 2003-05 Hemi Engine and trans (20k miles)
$350 cheap MIG welder
$150 Motor mounts and Metal stock
$350 PCM reprogramming
$000 Adapting factory harness to fit Gen II Dakota. ($995 pre-made)
$75 Driveshaft work
$250 Custom Y-pipe
$300 Adjustable pressure fuel system.
$150 6.1 Cam
$3125 Total

What you would have would be a 400hp HEMI with a butt-load of torque. If you take my Buddy's Ram, he runs 13.68 with a 4800lb 2005 Ram with this engine, the cam, shift kit, and headers. In a light Gen II Dakota, we are talking at least 12.50's here. Also, remember that the new Hemi is about 120 lbs lighter than the 318/360.

Spend and extra $3000 and you can have a FAST XFI system, higher stall converter, Headers, a 273 Cam, and you will be pushing 500hp! For about $6000! Lets see anyone build a 500HP 408 for that price. All it takes is some fab work and a few long nights, but if you have the skills, then you can do it. I am working on it right now, so are a bunch of other Dakota guys.
now how come you haven't mentioned this on the dfedakotas board...we could have had a mod meet at your house and got it done..... :jester:

j/k.....but it would be nice to see some pics

·
Registered
166 Posts
Might be coming real soon. Just fishing for the right Hemi/trans combo with low miles. RIght now the money is burning a hole in my pocket.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The dealership is where you can find the crate motors.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Can't you supercharge it? That would make the most 'sense'.

·
just rockin'
619 Posts
85burbanator said:
were can one get a dodge crate motor? ive looked around online and cant find much. just looking for prices really cause im kind of interested in the swap.
these guys have done alot of hemi swaps.
Hot Rod Lane

1 - 12 of 12 Posts