Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Have Noticed When My R/t Is In Overdrive It Makes A Wierd Whinning Souind Everytime It Comes Down Past 3000-2500 Rpm. It Sounds Like The Truck Is Supercharged It Also Does It Upon Acceleration But Not As Often. What Is That.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wierd, indeed!

My Durango ('02 SLT 4wd Auto) does this mostly while pulling my boat and always with A/C on. Of course, I might only be hearing it because the A/C is on. It is either an increasing or decreasing pitch 'Woooosh" sound, like some flying saucer sound-effect. I get it with the criuse on, straight and level, uphill and down, accelerating or decelerating. I think it's kind of neat, but it's weirding out my wife. Any help would be appreciated. :woowoo:

·
I'm Retired!
817 Posts
well I can't say that it's in my R/T, but then again, my tranny has some goodies on it. However, my daily driver, 1990 Dodge Dynasty LE, has the same noise you're talking about. Kinda sounds like what a racing transmission sounds like when its trying to push that torque through. However, mine does it when its coasting, however, its done this for about 70,000 miles now. The tranny shop said its nothing...which its obviously something...but I just kinda of ignore it, sounds pretty neat to me. My best guess would be something to do with the torque converter, but I'm not expert mechanic, I just know the nuts and bolts. But obviously its poses no immediate threat, so my philosophy...if it ain't broke, dont fix it

CJ

·
Gas Guzlin and Tire smoke
3,301 Posts
Yes my truck does this as well...... pretty much every time i take off and slow down...... mon mom has a 98 rango that does the same thing......hasent caused any problems..... i just turn the radio up :biggthump

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.