Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Pre-Teen Giggle Brigade
6,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i was driving home with my girl, doing 60, then my truck starts "vibrating" like a wheel is loose, let off the gas and it goes away. i pulled over and let the person behind me go, pulled back out and it started again around 45ish....

get down the road where i can pull over again and then i hear a knocking...thinking-better not be my fuckin motor.....pop the hood, get out and put my hand on drivers valve cover cuz thats where the sound was coming from....turned it off, checked oil, was a little low but not enough that should have caused any problems....

my gf said it sounded liek a typewriter, so u have a idea of the knocking lol

start it back up and its knocking like crazy, say fuck it i need to get somewhere, hit the gas and it tapped faster, got to like 25 and it went away and drove fine the whole ride-25 minutes or so.

any ideas? it idled fine the whole time but like i said just felt like a wheel was loose...

also i forgot to mention....before it started knocking i was pulled over and decided to try and go again and it ran real rough but rpm was constant and then i pulled back over n the knocking started.

·
Registered
23 Posts
so i was driving home with my girl, doing 60, then my truck starts "vibrating" like a wheel is loose, let off the gas and it goes away. i pulled over and let the person behind me go, pulled back out and it started again around 45ish....

get down the road where i can pull over again and then i hear a knocking...thinking-better not be my fuckin motor.....pop the hood, get out and put my hand on drivers valve cover cuz thats where the sound was coming from....turned it off, checked oil, was a little low but not enough that should have caused any problems....

my gf said it sounded liek a typewriter, so u have a idea of the knocking lol

start it back up and its knocking like crazy, say fuck it i need to get somewhere, hit the gas and it tapped faster, got to like 25 and it went away and drove fine the whole ride-25 minutes or so.

any ideas? it idled fine the whole time but like i said just felt like a wheel was loose...

also i forgot to mention....before it started knocking i was pulled over and decided to try and go again and it ran real rough but rpm was constant and then i pulled back over n the knocking started.

typewriter sound to me sounds like its in the valvetrain.maybe a lifter going bad? I dont really know but if its not knocking all the time it may be something minor.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
What motor is in it?

If it's a 4.7 I would guess a bad lash adjuster.

·
Pre-Teen Giggle Brigade
6,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fuck the 4.7 i would never buy one. i got a 5.9

·
Pre-Teen Giggle Brigade
6,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so today i did a small drift in target parking lot in the water and then i went to the stop sign and stalled....went thru a drivethru and it was fine, drove down the road and about halfway to the highway i start hearing that loud knock/tap and truck was running like shit....

go to turn onto the highway entrance and truck stalled and i almost hit a median cuz of no power steering....so it started right back up cuz i held my foot on the gas and it ran like shit for the next 5 miles or so and then ran perfectly.....any ideas wtf is going on?

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
Sounds like misfiring. Wet ignition components perhaps. Spray some WD-40 in/on/around the dist. cap and check the plug boots, put some dielectric grease in them.

Don't hate on the 4.7, you're a fool.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts