Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Who needs a Hemi
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the list of my mods: Mopar Headers down to full 3" exhaust single out, custom intake, ported throttle body, 1.7 roller rockers, mopar PCM, autolite 3923s, msd ignition wires, 180 t-stat, 20" r/t wheels. Ok my 1/4 mile time is 15.1 @90mph. what gives, I ran the same time less the rockers and throttle body. So I cant understand it. Its a club cab but still I should be running high 14s with these mods. Any feedback or tips would be helpfull. Thanks guys.

Nick

·
I like trucks
3,171 Posts
Have you dynoed it since these mods? do you run the 20's on the 1/4? Not sure if 20s will mess up your time.

·
Home Owner....
2,565 Posts
dakrt2000 said:
Here is the list of my mods: Mopar Headers down to full 3" exhaust single out, custom intake, ported throttle body, 1.7 roller rockers, mopar PCM, autolite 3923s, msd ignition wires, 180 t-stat, 20" r/t wheels. Ok my 1/4 mile time is 15.1 @90mph. what gives, I ran the same time less the rockers and throttle body. So I cant understand it. Its a club cab but still I should be running high 14s with these mods. Any feedback or tips would be helpfull. Thanks guys.

Nick
well for one it appears you still have the stock beer barrel intake. that hurts your top end. runnin the 20`s adds a LOT of WEIGHT as well.

grab a M-1 intake, slicks and do some weight reduction.

ya got some great bolt ons there, and in the righ combo should get you high 14`s.

if ya wanna go faster, heads, cam and send your ECM to B&G or Mike Leach. dont get me wrong, the MOPAR ECM is good, there is better out there.

·
G.F.Y racing president
9,424 Posts
dakrt2000 said:

Nick
a wheel change to someting lighter will get you a 14.8osomthing. the 17's i have with tires weight in at 60lbs each...check out prime wheels for there sets they have for the dak, i know i am, once my 318 stroker is done... :banana2:

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
You don't say what size tires you are running. If they are taller than original and you are running stock gears along with a ported throttle body, you probably have some low-end issues. How does it feel on launch vs. top end? What is your 60' time?

·
Who needs a Hemi
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been told that the M-1 will help me with my mods. My tires are 275/45/20 however I ran the same time with the same tires but without the roller rockers and throttle body. So you think I would have run a faster time. I dont have my timeslips so I dont have my 60 times.

·
Premium Member
9,131 Posts
yeah your 20's are hurting you. Get you the M-1 2bbl like everybody has said I would also get a 52mm F&B TB. I assume you ported a stock TB . Also get a 2800 converter.

·
G.F.Y racing president
9,424 Posts
Adam said:
yeah your 20's are hurting you. Get you the M-1 2bbl like everybody has said I would also get a 52mm F&B TB. I assume you ported a stock TB . Also get a 2800 converter.
2800 is a little high in my opinion for the mods he has. if he had a supercharger...maybe, i would look at protorque or something like that for a billet converter in the 2200-2400 stall range. stock is 1200-1400 i think isnt it?

jim

·
2000 6.7 R/T
371 Posts
Im at [email protected] with my mods so far. This is with my bed cover, tailgate, full tank of gas, 20" R/T's up front with stock 17's out back on Kumho's. I havent went back with the weight reduction and drag radials yet, but you need to mod alittle more and lose weight :biggthump

·
Bitches come and get some
1,104 Posts
I lost .5 sec on 20s just by adding AuburnGear LSD and 4.10s. Gears would probably help you a lot.

·
Who needs a Hemi
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the input. But how much more weight can I loose? My rear bumper is gone and no spare tire, but what else could I do?

·
Registered
406 Posts
You could still lose lots, only put enough gas in the tank to get you down the strip and back, take the tailgate off, same with the tonneau, stuff like that, weight it your worst enemy..not to mention those 20's are definiltly hurting the worst...it's a known thing apporx, that for every 100lbs,= a tenth of your et..

·
Happy 4th of July!
47,199 Posts
Are you running the Stock 3.90 gears?

With big Ol dubs on there, I'd run either 4.10s or 4.56s (if you wanna be fast in the 1/4 atleast) I would personally run out and buy a set of "Unique" 589 lookalikes... They are basic 15x8 Aluminum 8 hole wheels, they still look nice, and with 245/60R15s weight less than my stock 15x7 with 235/75s. It made a NIGHT AND DAY difference in acceleration, I never ran it at the track, cause it wasn't open... Unsprung weight is BAD... 20's look cool, but take em off at the track!... The front's be aight to run, but small wheels all around will help ya more than you think!

·
G.F.Y racing president
9,424 Posts
i would get these...

http://primewheel.com/

model 231 in the truck/suv rear wheel drive section of the aftermarket wheel catagory. im getting a set for the track only...

and they do come in 6 lug too. just ask them....

jim

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
dakrt2000 said:
I have been told that the M-1 will help me with my mods. My tires are 275/45/20 however I ran the same time with the same tires but without the roller rockers and throttle body. So you think I would have run a faster time. I dont have my timeslips so I dont have my 60 times.
That tire/wheel combo is dropping you about one set of gears. 3.55's would be like 3.35 and 3.90's would be just a bit over 3.55. As far as I'm concerned, an M1 and larger TB isn't going to gain you anything on the bottom end. To make use of them you will need headers and gears. 4.56 gears would give you an effective gear ration of 4.3. That's where I would put my money first.

·
Registered
504 Posts
dakrt2000 said:

Nick
You listed a custom intake. What was done to it? Depending on the intake and how much you opened up the T/B you may be running too lean and not fully burning the air/fuel mixture. Opening up a stock T/B can take it past 1000 CFM and that is more then enough to accommodate 800 HP and above.

Again depending on the intake and T/B I would make two simple changes. One, drop the Autolites and go with a set of the NGKs in one heat range colder. Second, install a capacitive discharge system a MSD would be fine. If the intake and T/B have not been taken too far these two changes should get you the time that you are looking for.

The one clue that makes me think that your running too lean is the fact that you installed a set of the 1:7 rollers and never saw any improvements. If the mixture is too lean by adding the 1:7s all you are doing is allowing more of that lean mixture into the combustion chambers. If you cannot burn it then you will loose HP and torque.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
mopar rt said:
You listed a custom intake. What was done to it? Depending on the intake and how much you opened up the T/B you may be running too lean and not fully burning the air/fuel mixture. Opening up a stock T/B can take it past 1000 CFM and that is more then enough to accommodate 800 HP and above.
No way are you going to get 1000cfm out of a modified factory TB. Not only that, but when did the TB start regulating the A/F? The PCM pretty much takes care of maintainig a constant A/F mixture, especially in closed loop.

Custom intake? That always throws me too. These days a custom (air) intake refers to some sewer pipe with an air cleaner attached to the end of it. It's not like the old days when you actually designed and built something like an intake manifold. It's custom air intake and that also has nothing to do with how rich or lean it runs.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts