Dakota Durango Forum banner

Why is my 44RE not engaging in any gear?

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  nwrensch 
#1 ·
I have a 1998 Dakota 4x4 that originally came with the 318ci 5.2L Magnum and 44RE transmission. I had a local shop swap in a rebuilt 360ci 5.9L Magnum and it ran tough, when I floored it the tires would light until I let off. Months pass and I start having issues with the transmission not downshifting properly when I floored it in the low end of 3rd gear.

I did a transmission flush by dropping the pan and replaced the old fluid with new Castrol Transmax ATF+4 from Autozone. After driving about 3 miles downhill I noticed the engine rpms raising but I wasn't accelerating. After a short pause at the stop light the truck didn't want to move forward at all. I managed to push it into a parking lot and tried to troubleshoot things there. At first the truck would move in reverse but not in forward gears, then it stopped working altogether. No check engine light on dash either...weird.

I've never heard of transmission symptoms like this before. I don't think it is Band related because I don't have use of any gears. Does this sound like a torque converter issue or possibly something internal with the transmission?

#2 ·
Sounds like they didn’t adjust the detent properly. Unfortunately with the new found power and not properly adjusting the den tent it will make a clutch pack. Especially in a 44. That is of cours you didn’t strip the spaghetti out of the case.

#3 ·
I bought a used basket case 46RE from a Dakota RT that has been collecting dust in hopes to use one of the internal parts. A forward band went bad and caused excessive wear on the direct drum.

Aren't the clutch packs interchangeable between the 42, 44, and 46RE?

Is there a way to make sure it isn't the torque converter before I open up the transmission? I want to make sure before having to replace all the seals, gaskets and retaining clips.

#6 ·
The front section of the RE46 has the same guts in it as the old 727 torqueflite. The front band is for second gear, the lever that applied that band had many different ratios (2.2-5.0) depending on usage, the ratio is stamped onto the side of the lever. The low performance levers were usually 2.5:1 or less and the hypo stuff like the old Hemi trans used the 5.0:1 ratio. I never was a big fan of the 5.0, but 3.5-4.0 were very nice ratios. All of the older torque flites used the same lever so the lever out of the small 904 trans will interchange in the 727-RE46 trans, and because of the smaller band and smaller servo the small trans usually had the better ratios in them. The lever comes out fairly easy with the transmission out and no tension on the band. There is a 1/4 pipe plug inside the bellhousing that needs to be removed then use a magnet to remove the pin that holds the lever. You will have to run a little tighter band adjustment with the ratio change. With the 3.5 or 4.0 ratio I would torque the adjustment screw to 72in-lb then back it off 2 turns. That should cure the front band burning up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.