Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:help: I just bought this 2001 Durango R/T and found out after that it requires min. 91 octane. Why? I have read alot of things here and on other bulletin boards that say, all the 5.9L motors are the EXACT same. The only thing different is the exhaust in that it has a dynamax for the 5hp and 15 torque. I am thinking about taking it back and getting one with a 4.7L, but I got a great deal so if I could get some help in getting some better mpg and hp gains out of it with mods, PLEASE let me know what's best and the best order to get them. I ONLY get 11 mgp aver and would like to be up to 13 or 14 if that is possible since I have to drop premium fuel in it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
drdurango_r/t said:
:help: I just bought this 2001 Durango R/T and found out after that it requires min. 91 octane. Why? I have read alot of things here and on other bulletin boards that say, all the 5.9L motors are the EXACT same. The only thing different is the exhaust in that it has a dynamax for the 5hp and 15 torque. I am thinking about taking it back and getting one with a 4.7L, but I got a great deal so if I could get some help in getting some better mpg and hp gains out of it with mods, PLEASE let me know what's best and the best order to get them. I ONLY get 11 mgp aver and would like to be up to 13 or 14 if that is possible since I have to drop premium fuel in it.

Congratulations on the new purchase of the R/T, I too just bought one a 2003 R/T and love it, yeah it uses the premium fuel but that is the price you pay for the added power even though it is small. I believe, and I could be wrong, someone can correct me, but the added power is also with the added timing that the R/T computer gives, that is why the need for premium fuel. Now you can always get a Hypertech or Superchip tuner programmer and with these you can setup your computer to be able to use the 87 octane fuel, or you can set it up for more performance using the 93 octane. There is a post on the PCM section of this forum where I wrote that one of the MOPAR magazines did a build up and review of a 5.2 liter RAM truck, they added intake, exhaust, and used the Superchips tuner using the performance setting of 93 octane, they also dynoed totally stock with no mods, and then after each mod, with everything installed and the tuner they got an additional 35hp and 25Torque I think these figures were at the wheels, the Superchips tuner alone added like 20hp according to their dyno test. The 5.2 is basically the same as the 5.9 so it should get simliar or greater gains using these mods. God Bless.

·
Premium Member
9,131 Posts
Congrats on your new R/T but the R/T doesn't require 91 or 93 octane unless you have upgrade your PCM. I run 87 in mine.

As far as your mpg you need to get a 360 intake or K&N which ever you want, a TB and do some exhaust work this may help a little

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys, thanks for the replies!!!:toast:

·
Blown and Squirted
3,407 Posts
it is possible that they changed the fuel requirements for the newer model years? maybe his does need premium.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have the 03 Dakota R/T and 89 works fine for me. I do notice some increase of power when running the 93 but it also runs through the truck like beer through a Saylor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts