Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Dak-Dur 11th Most Wanted
12,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I brought this "problem" to the forum back when I first bought the Durango. I put in 6 quarts and it comes up to the "N" of the "DO NOT OVERFILL". Always has. So I checked at a local dealership and checked it against another 4.7L dipstick. The level was right at the FULL line on the other dipstick.

OK. I can live with that.

Then I buy the Dak last February and it is the exact same way. 6 quarts comes up to the "N" of the "DO NOT OVERFILL".

Weird. But I can live with that.

Of course that Dak got wrecked and I just bought another one.

PUT IN 6 QUARTS AND IT COMES UP TO THE "N" OF THE "DO NOT OVERFILL".

:huh: WTF? :huh:

Reactions: The Swamp Fox

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I always check mine level on the street in front of my house. It reads right on the full mark. If I check it in the driveway (only a slight incline) it reads over full.

Kind of annoying.

·
Dak-Dur 11th Most Wanted
12,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I always check mine level on the street in front of my house. It reads right on the full mark. If I check it in the driveway (only a slight incline) it reads over full.

Kind of annoying.
Interesting. I'll check it out, but it would be weird that no matter what the angle has been at my old house (perfectly flat in the garage) and in my new driveway at a slight incline, they would still read at or near the "N" every time.

·
Banned
9,045 Posts
is this only when changing the oil or at any time?

·
Bomb Technician.
339 Posts
is this only when changing the oil or at any time?
i was going to ask the same thing, which im sure he knows this but just incase. any engine will read over full right after you change the oil before you start then engine due to the fact that the filter hasnt been filled with oil. but like i said im sure you knew that.

·
Dak-Dur 11th Most Wanted
12,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i was going to ask the same thing, which im sure he knows this but just incase. any engine will read over full right after you change the oil before you start then engine due to the fact that the filter hasnt been filled with oil. but like i said im sure you knew that.
Yeah, it's anytime. I also prime my filter a bit anyway before I put it on...lol.

And of course when I say anytime, I mean any time that it hasn't been run in a while. Like sitting overnight. As compared to right after shutting it off, which then it actually reads around the FULL mark because all the oil hasn't drained down yet.

·
Just a poor shlep......
625 Posts
Better then the Ram 4.7 I had the pleasure of working on once at the dealership. It came in as a used car and was inspected by someone else. When he did the oil change, he put in 4.5qts of oil in to it. A few min later, the engine is "ticking". Pull the dipstick and hte stick shows like 3 qts low. Put in some more oil and now the stick says its overfull by about 2qts..... Eventually the truck gets sold and he starts complaining about this very problem and it smokes on a cold start up. I go out on a limb and take the heads off for surfacing and new valve seals and new tappets. I have to even go so far as to polish the cam journals up and install a new DS camshaft from the lack of oil. I have it buttoned up in a few days and get it to where it can't be noticed anymore.

Fast forward a few weeks later, it's back for the same thing. By this time I am pissed its back because the owner is pissing me off on top of the truck itself. I let the truck sit for most of the day and then perform a new oil change on it and fill it with 6qts of oil. Nothing on the stick... Hmmm...A little light goes off. I pull the dipstick and have the parts dept run the number. Come to find out the dipstick that is in the truck is for a 5.7(!!!!!)L Ram. No wonder the oil level is all over the place. But by this time the engine is on its last legs from being starved off oil and general previous owner abuse and misuse. I tore the engine down and found three pistons on the PS bank completely scuffed and collapsed, the reason for the tick. Then the owner gets a nice new crate engine from Mopar and never to be seen again.

BTW, are you filling the engine with 6qts plus the oil in the filter or just 6qts?

Brian

·
Dak-Dur 11th Most Wanted
12,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Better then the Ram 4.7 I had the pleasure of working on once at the dealership. It came in as a used car and was inspected by someone else. When he did the oil change, he put in 4.5qts of oil in to it. A few min later, the engine is "ticking". Pull the dipstick and hte stick shows like 3 qts low. Put in some more oil and now the stick says its overfull by about 2qts..... Eventually the truck gets sold and he starts complaining about this very problem and it smokes on a cold start up. I go out on a limb and take the heads off for surfacing and new valve seals and new tappets. I have to even go so far as to polish the cam journals up and install a new DS camshaft from the lack of oil. I have it buttoned up in a few days and get it to where it can't be noticed anymore.

Fast forward a few weeks later, it's back for the same thing. By this time I am pissed its back because the owner is pissing me off on top of the truck itself. I let the truck sit for most of the day and then perform a new oil change on it and fill it with 6qts of oil. Nothing on the stick... Hmmm...A little light goes off. I pull the dipstick and have the parts dept run the number. Come to find out the dipstick that is in the truck is for a 5.7(!!!!!)L Ram. No wonder the oil level is all over the place. But by this time the engine is on its last legs from being starved off oil and general previous owner abuse and misuse. I tore the engine down and found three pistons on the PS bank completely scuffed and collapsed, the reason for the tick. Then the owner gets a nice new crate engine from Mopar and never to be seen again.

BTW, are you filling the engine with 6qts plus the oil in the filter or just 6qts?

Brian
Just 6.

And this is what concerns me. If the previous owner said, "Oh crap, it must only take 5 qts, or 4 1/2 qts." Then it would be bad news. However when I got it the oil was all the way up to the N, so I think the shop they had their oil changed at knew it needed 6 quarts.

·
110 HP, 11.1 MPG. FML
4,370 Posts
check the p/n of the stick?
i would really not worry about it becasue you said
"As compared to right after shutting it off, which then it actually reads around the FULL mark because all the oil hasn't drained down yet."
some engines are just like that, the oil galleys and shit are huge and take a lot of oil to fill so when they are empty the pan is too high, but when they fill the pan is right. if it goes down to the full mark when you are operating it should be OK. on start-up, your pump should suck the oil down fast enough that the crank doesn't foam it (if it does at all) and if it is at the full mark after operation it doesn't hit the crank.

this is all in theory as i have a magnum ;D

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
The chances of getting 3 engines with the wrong stick? Slim.

How long do you let it drain? I often notice a bit more oil (just enough to notice) come out of the drain after I pull the filter. I've always put 6qt in mine and it's never once been over the full mark.

·
Dak-Dur 11th Most Wanted
12,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

How long do you let it drain? I often notice a bit more oil (just enough to notice) come out of the drain after I pull the filter. I've always put 6qt in mine and it's never once been over the full mark.
At times I've let it drain for an hour or more if I have other things to do. The last time the oil was burning hot, so it drained quickly. I usually put the plug back in half way after the stream stops and it starts dripping, then do the filter, then come back and let the pan drain more afterward. I just don't like it to be dripping and have the wind blow it around everywhere.

But anyway, yeah, I let it drain all the way.

Most of these issues we are covering we went through the first time....lol. I know you guys think I'm nuts, but I swear on a stack of Bibles that this is the weirdest crap I've ever seen.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts

Agreed. Maybe it's because you prime the filter? How much oil do you put in the filter before you put it on? If you're going to prime the filter don't put 6qts+what the filter takes, just use 6 quarts total. I really doubt you got 3 4.7's that they changed the dip stick out to the SAME WRONG one.

·
Dak-Dur 11th Most Wanted
12,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Listen folks, 2 1/2 years ago when I was a NOOB, I can understand the "this guy doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about" attitude toward me on this issue. Since then, I've been around the block a time or two and turned a wrench or two on these three 4.7s I've had.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
No shit, Sherlock. Sheesh. I don't put in 6 1/2 quarts. Damn, boy.

Also, I've compared the Dakota ones to the one in the Durango and they are the same length, same markings. So whatever the fuck happened, it has happened to all three. None of the three have been the same as another 4.7 Dak I compared it to at that dealership.

DO NOT think I'm going crazy or don't know what the fuck I'm talking about. I don't understand it, but the facts are the facts. :rant:
He was just helping. Honestly bud, looks like no harm done. But oh well.:)

I'll admit though, weird problem. But yea, only thing that would possibly make sense to me is wrong dipstick. Otherwise, no clue.

·
Dak-Dur 11th Most Wanted
12,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
He was just helping. Honestly bud, looks like no harm done. But oh well.:)

I'll admit though, weird problem. But yea, only thing that would possibly make sense to me is wrong dipstick. Otherwise, no clue.
Yeah. Sorry. I guess I shouldn't take being called crazy so personally. :funny: I'm over it, and deleted it.

·
Dak-Dur 11th Most Wanted
12,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Some quotes from the original thread found at: http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41460&page=5

Interesting stuff here.

I have a 2000 4.7 Durango. Noticed years ago that 6 qts put it above the full mark on the dipstick. Took it to a dealer in Georgia to ask about it and was told in the Durango's of that year the dipsticks were wrong. May have been bullshitting me but I've been putting 6 qts in ever since with no problems whatsoever.
Check with your dealer on your Vin If I recall there was something to do with certain Dipsticks on 4.7's
They all take 6 qts. of oil
STEVE
my 01 4.7 takes 5 qts too till it says it's full but now I put 6 qt's in because I measured my stepdad's 03 ram's 4.7's oil pan and it's exactly the same yet he gets 6 qts.
you might want to check the dipstick,have seen Chrysler put the wrong dipsticks in before

·
Dak-Dur 11th Most Wanted
12,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yup, looks like a dipstick to me then. Maybe try replacing it? I'm sure it can't be that expensive.
I'm fine with it, no need to replace it. Just kind of wondering if this IS a problem in some of the 4.7s, why hasn't there been a recall or something. Think of the thousands of people out there that could be running a quart low for the life of the engine. Not horrible, but not real good for it either.

·
Registered
399 Posts
i put about 5.25-5.5 quarts in my 4.7 and it says full on the dipstick

1 - 20 of 33 Posts