Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Resident Craigslist Whore
3,230 Posts
from most of the reading here everone likes 456 rear gear. Im new to fuel injection hot rodding but on carbed motors a low gear makes up for weak motor, just wondering what everones thoughts is on this?:huh:
lower gear ratio in the axles = slower wheel rotation at higher engine RPM which translates to more low speed power for rock crawling, mud bogging, towing... pretty much anything that requires the engine power but you dont want to be going 85mph to achieve the HP you need. take two identical trucks, one with 3.55's and one with 4.56's and chain them hitch to hitch. the one with 4.56's will pull the other backwards all day long. and lower gears in the axle also compensates for larger diameter tires. i cant remember the exact formula, but its out there. put 38's on a truck with stock gearing... horrible low end power loss because the engine has to work way harder to get them moving. put in lower gears to compensate for the tires, and you're back to the same general characteristics of a stock truck.

·
Resident Craigslist Whore
3,230 Posts
Don't do a gear swap for fuel savings...it'll take forever to recoup the money, if you even can.
+1 to that. by the time you get gears and the setup kit for an axle, your lookin at $300-$500, and double that if its a 4x4. and thats if you do it yourself. the shop here in NY gets $500 per axle just for install! i built differentials for Caterpillar when i worked there in Tennessee and i always hated doin them cause it involved assemble, measure, disassemble.... assemble, measure, disassemble, and over and over again until it was perfect. and you NEED gears to be done right the first time or you'll be pullin chunks of teeth out of your diff after a few thousand miles.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.