Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got friend that just got a 92 lexus sc400 with a 4.0L v8 stock with 107k miles on the clock, im wondering if my truck could keep up or maybe pull a tiny bit mines a 96 3.9L with v8 TB, CIA, and exhaust, i think with the miles on his lexus that it wont make the power it used to from the factory so it will be a little slower than it should be. im not expecting to wiz by him but im wondering if i can keep up pretty good?

·
Registered Loser
2,342 Posts
i got friend that just got a 92 lexus sc400 with a 4.0L v8 stock with 107k miles on the clock, im wondering if my truck could keep up or maybe pull a tiny bit mines a 96 3.9L with v8 TB, CIA, and exhaust, i think with the miles on his lexus that it wont make the power it used to from the factory so it will be a little slower than it should be. im not expecting to wiz by him but im wondering if i can keep up pretty good?
You'll only win if he lets you.
Being within .1L of his motor size means nothing, if that's what you were thinking.

·
Shannon Huffman
484 Posts
He'll cream you.

107k is just getting broken in on that Toyota.
He has more horsepower and pretty much equal weight.

That car came rated at 250 hp / 260 tq ..... 3600 lbs. He'd dust a stock Dakota R/T ..... your 3.9 would be a joke to his car.

But heck, race him anyway.

·
The DAKOTANUT
3,748 Posts
You have a truck. Not made for racing. Unless you put some money into it. Go race and find out. Sounds like fun. Just do it at the track not on the street.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i just found out it actually has 170k on it not 107k and it also has some 20 inch rims, not sure if that will slow him down at all?

·
Shannon Huffman
484 Posts
well i just found out it actually has 170k on it not 107k and it also has some 20 inch rims, not sure if that will slow him down at all?
170K still not high miles for that car ..... if the 20's have really low profile tires they won't be much taller than the stock 17's with higher profile tires. It's not the size of the wheel that would slow you down, it's the overall height of the tires that changes your ratios. Short story ...... you still don't have a snowball's chance :sorry:

·
Shannon Huffman
484 Posts
We're talking about a car here, a lexus

What kind of 20's do you think it has on it?

I'm betting 60+ lb a piece chrome pieces of shit.
Well, if even if the 20's do weigh 60lbs, I doubt the stock 17's weigh less than 30lbs so that makes a whopping 120lbs extra added to the car. So the result is still the same ........ Lexus still DESTROYS 3.9L Dakota

·
keep your stick onthe ice
1,058 Posts
Well, if even if the 20's do weigh 60lbs, I doubt the stock 17's weigh less than 30lbs so that makes a whopping 120lbs extra added to the car. So the result is still the same ........ Lexus still DESTROYS 3.9L Dakota
every pound of rotational weight is equal to around 7 pounds of stationary so that 120lbs is more like adding 840 thats a pretty big difference. Still don't think the dakota has much of a chance against it but why not try it's a truck no shame in loosing just more to brag about it you do win.

·
Shannon Huffman
484 Posts
Oh I agree ..... Like I said in my first post "but heck, race him anyway".

·
Registered
728 Posts
every pound of rotational weight is equal to around 7 pounds of stationary so that 120lbs is more like adding 840 thats a pretty big difference. Still don't think the dakota has much of a chance against it but why not try it's a truck no shame in loosing just more to brag about it you do win.
Exactly, let's also not forget he's also effectively gearing down the transmission by making the wheels larger.

·
Shannon Huffman
484 Posts
Exactly, let's also not forget he's also effectively gearing down the transmission by making the wheels larger.
Not necessarily ..... if you go to lower profile tires (and you should if you increase wheel size) there should be almost no difference in final gearing. For example:

Say you have stock 17's at with 235/55-17 tires ..... you could go to a 235/40-20 and have virtually the same overall height of tire (27.2 vs. 27.4 inches respectively).

So unless you have something bigger than 20's it's completely possible to have bigger wheel and do nothing to change final overall gearing.
Now, if you went to something stupid like 24's or something on the Lexus where the wheel is almost as big as the original tire then you would be gearing the car taller because by the time you add rubber to a wheel that big, you're definitely bigger than the original wheel/tire combo.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts