Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I happen to find this on the net a few days ago http://www.hotrodlane.cc/
I have talked to my wife and am now saving up for a Dak AND hemi to drop into it !!!
I will get like half of this years tax return and all of my bonus from work to put away for the buildup ..... would prolly help if i had a truck to put it in first though hehe.
Oh yeah that shop is about an hour and a half from my door muwhahaha i'm gonna set some time aside for a road trip here soon me thinks

·
Registered
209 Posts
Not to :lwhiz: in your Cheerios, but the HEMI won't fit in the new Dak. The frame rails aren't wide enough for it which is why they only offer the 4.7 or 4.7 H.O. Not sure about the older models, but my guess would be the same.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
:drool:

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
dakota/durango

Yeah the newer hemi won't fit in either the 1998-2004 or the 2005+ body's why the new durango and new dakota are on 2 totally different frames....unlike the older ones...

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
rick75 said:
I wonder if the wife would notice that being delivered? :jawdrop:
depends on how fast you could install it and get rid of the box :rolleyes:

·
Registered
209 Posts
rockadaous said:
depends on how fast you could install it and get rid of the box :rolleyes:
So what you're saying is to send her away outlet shopping for the weekend with her friends and then have some buddies over to help with the swap. Hmm. I wonder if she'd notice the first time she got pinned against the seat leaving nothing but a four-wheel smoke show pulling out of the grocery store parking lot? :vomit:

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I think it could fit into the GenIII Dak with a little work .... they did a straight swap with a 318 all's they had to do was fab up a set of mounts to bolt onto the block and it fit like a glove. One would think that the Hemi is about the same size as the 360 for the most part anyways ?!?

·
Registered
504 Posts
The Hemi is too wide for the Dakota frame. Besides the heads take up a lot more room then those of the 360.

Not saying it cannot be done but it would take a lot of work and effort to make it happen. The cost would more then likely out weigh the gain.

For the price of a Hemi and the cost of the install you could pull 500 to 600 HP from a 360 for less cost.

Attachments

B

·
0 Posts
The new HEMI will fit in the old Daks but it will cost you a couple grand. I've heard some dealerships will do the swap.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
do you guys follow racing ? with the exception of nascar (they use a race version of the next gen engine) old faithful (360) is whats winning races. my friend has a hemi ram in a 1/2 ton shortbed and i tore him a new you know what!, and his truck is suppose to have 345 hp go figure. there's a reason that this small-block stuck around for 30 years it works!

·
Registered
504 Posts
The 360 is a good power plant and it is easy to squeeze out extra HP. Pulling 350 HP from a stock 360 does not take all that much effort. The problem is fuel consumption; the Hemi generates more HP and uses less fuel in doing so.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I saw where he said the 98-2004 daks couldn't fit the Hemi in it, what about the 97? :drive: :drool: Please say its so doctor...

·
Registered
425 Posts
mopar rt said:
The Hemi is too wide for the Dakota frame. Besides the heads take up a lot more room then those of the 360.

Not saying it cannot be done but it would take a lot of work and effort to make it happen. The cost would more then likely out weigh the gain.

For the price of a Hemi and the cost of the install you could pull 500 to 600 HP from a 360 for less cost.
a 360 is not nearly as cool in a dak as a hemi would be. If i had the money i would try the swap. hell, i can get access to a plasma cutter and a mig welder. lol.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hemi vs 360

Neither, I would use an older 340 six pack they had plenty of power stock and were easy to modify, and I would use a 727 tranny with 4.10's then you could have some serious fun but it would take alot of work. Plus I think personally the 340's sound better than the 360's The hemi would be to much work(to much computer stuff). The Hemi would would have a speed and rev limiter unlike the 340.

340 Six Pack- 340 HP -340 lb ft
5.7L Hemi - 345 HP -375 lb ft
360 Magnum- 250 HP -335 lb ft

:drive: :banana2: :stick: :hammer: :explode: :nono:

·
Registered
72 Posts
6.1l hemi?

what about the 6.1l hemi ?? 425 horse new this year??? lets put it in a 95, then back it with the new getrag 6-speed!!!! thats serious fun!!!!!! :mullet:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Good idea!

The 6.1 litre is nice but it will have speed and rev limiters plus you would have to change the computers(Lots of Work and $$$). Fuel injected cars have computers and computers have speed and rev limiters. But the 6.1 L would have some serious power considering it has 425 Horsepower stock! What about dual Hemi's? No that could be dangerous and way to much work. Have you seen the new Jeep Huricane with dual hemis from the factory its only concept but if it ever comes out that would be cool!
:wave: :banana2: :huh: :toast:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Fuel injection vs Carbs.

Fuel Injection has better throttle response than carbs.
Fuel injected engines are great its just that they are a lot of work

You said there are ways around those limiters, how?
:wave: :drive:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts