Dakota Durango Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
so far its just the front fender that im concerned about. $5K is a little on the high side of a standard paint job, but if it includes a good bit of prep work i can see it being a reasonable estimate. once i get to Va ill be going around getting estimates on just fender repaint and whole truck repaint. if i can find a place for 2K or so im gonna have the whole truck stripped and sprayed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My red 98 was just repainted last month. My clearcoat was starting to flake off in many places. I had one of the better shops in my areas completely disassemble the truck, bed taken off, etc. There was no body work needed, so they sanded most of it down to bare metal, primed it with special primer and then painted and cleared it. I also had the mirrors and the black parts of the bumper (Sport) painted black and shot with clear. They replaces all rubber seals when it was put together, Came out great. Looks better than it did new when I took delivery in 98. Total cost was $4,200

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I had mine painted last June/July, but the clear was still alright but I could see it fading in a few spots where where it started to look dull. Dodge paint sucks and has orange peel like hell. I've only seen a couple good r/ts with next to no orange peel. If you do get a repaint, ask for a high grade clear. Cheap urethane clear is used now of days and tends to look bad. It's well worth it in the end. Most shops will also wetsand and buff the paint 2-3 weeks after being sprayed in their cost.

·
Ugliest Truck on here!!!
8,951 Posts
Mine is horrid as far as flaking and pealing goes.

once it warms up constantly a bit more Im going to wet sand and paint mine flat black after smoothing all the dings out. Thinking about making a blockier version of that huge cuda strip on the rear quarter but leave the engine area blank until i actually get to building an engine .. dont want to false advertise.

·
Don't be "That Guy"
7,400 Posts
my roof is getting clear coat peel. but I've already got a new hood that's been wet sanded down, and first coat of color laid down, but I ran out of paint...thought a quart would be enough for both sides of a hood and both sides of a tail gate, but the paint didn't cover very far. oh well. it was cheap paint $30 a quart. Weather put me on hold till spring though, because I don't have access to a heated paint booth, or any paint booth for that matter. we were spraying on a clear, calm day, outside.:jester:

once the weather warms up, I'll get some more paint and finish the hood and tailgate...once that's done, I'm tempted to repaint the entire truck, but doing it one body panel at a time, starting with the roof that's got clearcoat peel. sand it down through the clear that's flaking, tape it off and re-shoot it. it'd be a great way to learn how to paint, and if it looks like shit...so what. I can re-do it again and learn some more!

I'm also thinking that because this is a fair weather toy now, that spends the vast majority of it's time inside a garage, I can get away with a cheaper paint because it won't be constantly exposed to weather, UV light, etc. like the truck was the first 10 years of it's life, and I'll still get a good "life" out of the cheaper paint.

·
Dodge, Duck, Dip, Dive!
876 Posts
I had my whole truck re-done about 2 years ago, and the paint they used did not co-operate very well with my clear coat, so i had to get the front end re-done last fall

·
Registered
623 Posts
Everyday I look at mine I get a little more angry :jester: ... My question though (and it may have been answered before) is why does the clear on all Dakota's flake or fade horribly? I mean, shouldn't they have the "recipe" for the paint and clear down to a science by now? Every other company does.

Not trying to thread jack too much, sorry man lol.

After a while it starts to spread like wildfire though :tdown:

$5000 seems a little high though. If you love your truck and don't plan on selling or trading in then it may be worth it to you... But it's just a Dakota. $5000 is probably half of the trucks total value. Just something to think about. I'm on the fence about doing mine as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I special ordered my truck in 1998 and got it with every option I wanted on it. It has been a great truck all these years. Very reliable and much better looking than the new ones. (In my opinion) I plan to keep it, so I felt it was worth it to have it properly painted. (Still a WHOLE lot cheaper than a new truck) I had them use better paint and the best hardened clear available. It looks absolutely terrific, even better than it did when it was new. I have 159000 miles on original drive train and it still runs good as new. If anything goes bad later, I will rebuild it. To me it is well worth it. (Interior still looks brand new also)

·
Registered
495 Posts
Everyday I look at mine I get a little more angry :jester: ... My question though (and it may have been answered before) is why does the clear on all Dakota's flake or fade horribly? I mean, shouldn't they have the "recipe" for the paint and clear down to a science by now? Every other company does.

Not trying to thread jack too much, sorry man lol.

After a while it starts to spread like wildfire though :tdown:

$5000 seems a little high though. If you love your truck and don't plan on selling or trading in then it may be worth it to you... But it's just a Dakota. $5000 is probably half of the trucks total value. Just something to think about. I'm on the fence about doing mine as well.
Just a Dakota!:rant: Oh no dude. If I was worried at all about the money I would have parted with it years ago. I love my truck! As in bury me in the bitch.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Just a tip, check craigslist ads. In my town alone two licensed professional painters have ads for cheap work. One guy got laid off by a dealer and now works out of his own shop. I got mine painted for dirt cheap by a well respected painter not just because he lives down the road but because he said work's been slow for him so he lowers prices to get more people in. Just a tip before you consider 3-5k quotes.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Just a tip, check craigslist ads. In my town alone two licensed professional painters have ads for cheap work. One guy got laid off by a dealer and now works out of his own shop. I got mine painted for dirt cheap by a well respected painter not just because he lives down the road but because he said work's been slow for him so he lowers prices to get more people in. Just a tip before you consider 3-5k quotes.
great idea. thanks!! ill do just that once i get moved :mullet:

·
Livin' the Dream
796 Posts
If you don't mind my asking, what did you end up spending on yours?

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Paid less than 1k. The painter used to be a Mopar guy and had dozens of cars he restored and sold. My truck was the first car he's painted in a long time as he was trying to get back into the business. Does a <1k paint job look like crap? You tell me..... ( Keep an eye on craigslist for ads.) Below are two examples copy and pasted from my area: There are many individual painters out there who will charge a lot less.

"I have 17 years experience and am PPG Blue Certified & I-CAR Certified.

Doing automotive body work, full / partial paint, rust repair, parts, metal fabrication, wet sanding & buffing, light mechanical & paint work for motorcycle parts ~
Call to see what I can do for you!

I recently closed my shop and am doing this work out of my fully equipped garage. References & pictures of past jobs available on request. Free Estimates!"

"'If you want someone that can do wonders with your vehicle with body and paint work, I am your man!! I have over 35 years experience in the automotive business and have many qualifications that will be of much interest and help to you. I have had many cars auctioned off and sold at the Auburn Cord Show at the Kruse Auction center. Many of the jobs I can do are:

-Specialize in:

candy colors
base coat
clear coat
metal flake
pearls
acrylic enamels
lead work
fabrication
make parts
mig weld
sand blasting
machines to turn cars over
make custom parts out of metal or stainless steel or aluminum
color matching
trick work
wet look paint jobs
plasma cutting

I also can wipe out your deductible and put money back in your pocket. My work is guaranteed. I have plenty of references if need be let me know and can give you their numbers. Trades for work are welcome. Will travel if need to for estimates. Free pick up and delivery. Also, will give a 20% discount to senior citizens."

·
Registered
928 Posts
I work at Abra Auto Body. We put a lifetime warranty on everything. As far as repaint we quote $400 per panel, give or take. I'm repainting my car and I have $600 in mediablasting. I will easily have a grand in paint and clear for a show car. Painting a car is expensive to have it done right, but worth it.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.