Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as the title says, im getting some paint flaking off in areas of my truck and im thinking of having it repainted. my plan is to have it completely stripped and primed from a fresh start so that i have no chance of the old paint under it flaking and causing an even bigger mess down the road.

if you have had it repainted/stripped how much did it run you?

im gonna have it redone in the factory white color so i don't need to worry much on door jams and under the hood/bedliner. maybe some blue pearl added to the paint to make it slightly different than stock, but still a white base.

·
Guard Dog
1,338 Posts
I am starting to see signs of fading on the top of the cab and along the bed. I try not to look, cause it hurts me. I don't want to repaint but might have to. I was also thinking of selling mine, but also intested in how much it would be to do the job right. I don't want to just do a quick fix.

·
Stock Lookin'
3,040 Posts
The clear is starting to flake on the top of my bed. I don't really want to repaint it cause it isn't that bad but I think it can get worse...

·
Super Moderator
79,419 Posts
My clear is chalking something fierce. On the front of the roof, hood, and tops of the front fenders. So pissed off. Trying to decide what I want to do.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
I've got a stripe going down the top of my cab about 5 inches wide from front to back that is flaked off. I don't want to pay for a paint job, but don't want to look at it much longer. I was thinking of wet sanding that portion and shooting it with a couple of coats of rattle can clear for now and maybe get it repainted later on down the road. The edges of the rear fender wells started flaking off a couple of years ago and i stopped that with the touch-up clear coat. I just brushed it over the affected areas and it stopped flaking. I also had a section on the drivers side bed rail that flaked off about the size of the palm of my hand. I'm kinda pissed, but don't have the money to take care of it properly. I guess i'll just make due with what i can buy off the shelf.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
with my truck being white, the large patch of grey primer hanging out on my fender looks like shit. it's doing it on the passenger side bed rail also but i just cleaned it real good and hit it with some white rattle can paint and nobody can tell. but this patch on my front fender is HUGE and although i can rattle it, its gonna be noticeable. i'm about to move across country to Norfolk, Va next week so once i get there i think im gonna hit up a body shop and get it repainted. any ideas on cost of having out trucks repainted/stripped?

·
Livin' the Dream
796 Posts
mine is fucked all along the roof... the hood would be bad if my dad didn't get it torn off in a crash a couple years back but i think that maaco can paint a car for something like 400 so i couldn't imagine it would be THAT bad but then again i don't know what kind of prep work they do

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i hear nothing but horror stories about maaco. i tried google on maaco and the posts i see on random forums isn't too pleasing either.

·
Registered
495 Posts
with my truck being white, the large patch of grey primer hanging out on my fender looks like shit. it's doing it on the passenger side bed rail also but i just cleaned it real good and hit it with some white rattle can paint and nobody can tell. but this patch on my front fender is HUGE and although i can rattle it, its gonna be noticeable. i'm about to move across country to Norfolk, Va next week so once i get there i think im gonna hit up a body shop and get it repainted. any ideas on cost of having out trucks repainted/stripped?
I got an estimate for my truck last month. I only have a few small dents to repair and am re-painting the truck the same color and the estimate is 5k. One of the better shops in town though.

·
Livin' the Dream
796 Posts
i hear nothing but horror stories about maaco. i tried google on maaco and the posts i see on random forums isn't too pleasing either.
yeah that may be, i haven't done any research on this subject, its just something i would like to get taken care of when i get the $$$

·
Registered
495 Posts
I firmly believe though that body work is the best example of getting what you pay for. That is why I have waited so long to paint mine. If I am gonna do it I am gonna do it right. From experience stay far away from macco and earl shives. My first truck looked worse after paint than before.

·
<---Club Cab Crew #180
782 Posts
oh im sorry i thought you were talking bout clearcoat peel.. damn i need to go to bed

·
Livin' the Dream
796 Posts
I got an estimate for my truck last month. I only have a few small dents to repair and am re-painting the truck the same color and the estimate is 5k. One of the better shops in town though.
wow... idk why but that just seems really high :huh: then again i really don't know one way or another and you are the first one to reply back with a price

·
Registered
495 Posts
Yea I thought so too. I have talked to a few people though and it seems that for quality work and a few custom touches it's in the ballpark.

·
I hate you people.
2,831 Posts
X2, that's almost how much it cost to fix hail damage on my 94 Dak when we had it. Back in September 2000, a thunderstorm came through and dropped softball sized hail on the area, I didn't put the truck in the garage like I should have. Then again, the paint had already faded and the roof had cancer starting so it was a blessing in disguise.:D But, yeah, that was for the whole process of tearing apart the panels, stripping, priming, paint, and clear(will have to look at the work order, still have it in the records) and it came to close to $4650 total. Surprising now that they didn't total it.:huh:

·
7,610 Posts
top of my roof at the front center mine started fadin, no chip or peelin and ive kept a coat of wax on it, just bad paint on dodges part

·
The Anti-RUB
1,752 Posts
the large patch of grey primer hanging out on my fender
I've seen a few vehicles in my area with this 'disease'. Seen it on Chevy's, Dodge's and Ford's. Anyone know what causes this affliction?

While I don't know the answer to the OP's question, I'd say the best way to find out would be to take it to your local body/paint shop and have them give you an estimate. Of course, get a few estimates from a couple different places. I wouldn't be surprised if it runs you a couple grand to get the entire truck done, but much less for just the affected areas. Since its white it shouldn't be too hard for them to blend the new paint with the old to match any sun damage/fade it may have.

Good luck...

·
Blown and Squirted
3,407 Posts
Make sure it's taken down to the metal.

invoice on my job was ~2400 dollars. But I did the bodywork and tore down the vehichle. The shop sanded it, taped it, and shot it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts