Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Don't be "That Guy"
7,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
crap. I promised someone I'd draw up a diagram of how I have my alternator wired up in the big block dakota for them so they could do a big block swap.

but I cleaned out my PMs and accidentally deleted that traffic, and now I don't remember who it was!!!

SORRY!

anyway, instead of giving you chicken scratch, I found this:

much cleaner and simpler. you can also read the text at the website:

http://www.mymopar.com/charging.htm

our OEM alternators are a simple dual field alternator, and the fields are reversable, so it doesn't matter which one you hook up to the VR and which one you hook up to Batt +

essentially you put a switched voltage source to the VR and to 1 field on the Alternator, then connect the 2nd field directly to the VR, and make sure you've got a good ground on the Alternator and the VR.

I have mine hooked up this way, and my original, computer controlled alternator is now maintaining 14v at idle and 15.5v above 1,000 rpm. Perfect for a 12V system--because 12V automotive systems actually operate at 14V when the engine is running. 4,000 street miles at 15.5v and everything works fine, so I'm not too worried about it being 1.5v higher than "normal" besides, tolerances on these VRs leaves a lot to be desired, and if I swapped it out, I might get one that maintains a constant 14v, another one might do 16v.

higher voltage can actually be a good thing too...everything will use less amps. V=IR, (I is amps, R is resistance) --increase volts, and amp draw goes down.

·
Don't be "That Guy"
7,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
the above VR is from ANY 1970s mopar. go into the parts store, tell the guy you've got a 1970 Plymouth hemi Cuda convertible 4spd that you just pulled out of a barn, and are trying to get it running, so you need a Voltage Regulator for it.

...of course, that'll only work if it's not some 18 year old honda punk behind the counter...has to be someone who knows cars!

·
Don't be "That Guy"
7,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea, it ought to help you out too! how's your project coming? still considering EFI on that big block?

·
Don't be "That Guy"
7,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...wait....that was another guy putting a big block into his jeep!:jester:

·
Don't be "That Guy"
7,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bump....I wanna make sure the guy sees this!

I hate when I clean out my PM box, and forget who I promised shit to!

·
elpoepdiputskcuf
2,493 Posts
...of course, that'll only work if it's not some 18 year old honda punk behind the counter...has to be someone who knows cars!
VERY rare, lol.
if u can find a good car guy at the parts store its great to have. there used to be a guy at my autozone who owned a GenII v8 when i had my v6.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey 70Cuda383. Thanks, I just ran across this! Thanks for the wire diagram! Should help alot! No biggie about cleanin' out the PM's. It Happens.:jester: Still trying to figure out the wiring for bypassing the PCM for the A/C to work. Just have to wire the switches in the right order.

Thanks Again! :wave:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts