Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i start up my truck i get white smoke from the exhaust for about 5 minutes until it is up near operating temperature. No it isnt the normal steam you get from cold morning, this smoke lingers on the ground for about 15 seconds after i drive off. I also have a light shaking at idle, the idle remains steady but the entire truck shakes, its not violent but it is still noticeable, enough that i dont think its normal. Any suggestions on what the problems would be? It is an 03 Dakota 4.7.
Thanks in advance.:eek:nethumb:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Check your coolant level and your engine oil.

If the engine oil resembles chocolate milk, your coolant is getting into the oil, and chances are good it's a head gasket.

This is a good stage to catch any problems because after the engine warms up, the metal expands just enough to seal any problem. If your going through coolant, then again, I suspect a head gasket problem.

Have a good look around the engine bay to see where the shaking occurs, and if there is any noise that you cannot hear from the driver seat.

Be sure to take the vehicle on at least one long trip a month, to burn off any built up condensation in the exhaust system.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
My truck when it's cold and fairly humid outside will do the same exact thing with the exhaust. Especially when the air is fairly stagnant.

As for the shaking, that could be worn out engine mounts. If your truck has over 100k miles and are the original like my '00 dakota the normal engine harmonics will transfer through the mounts to the frame of the truck shaking the whole thing.

Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
977 Posts
how many miles adoes your truck have i had to do head gaskets at 125k which seems to be common

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
how many miles adoes your truck have i had to do head gaskets at 125k which seems to be common
I just noticed this, in his signature he put that his truck has 136k. Could possibly be a head gasket, best way to check for that is by doing a compression test on each cylinder.

I thought I had a bad head gasket for a while there when I had to put in a half gallon of coolant every 4-5 months but I had and still have a coolant leak that I can't find where it's coming from.:huh:

·
Registered
977 Posts
is it your water pump mine was doing the same thing and i had a white line on the inside of the hood from were it was leaking

1 - 6 of 6 Posts