Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2002 Dodge Dakota SXT 3.9L V-6
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The following is in regards to my 2002 Dakota SXT, in which I've installed an aftermarket Sony stereo.

I bought a new clockspring (C1) white connector from RockAuto. It's intended for someone who needs to replace a damaged/broken connector on their vehicle, but there's nothing wrong with mine. I bought it because I'm trying to add the radio remote switches to my steering wheel, to be used with my Sony radio (I bought a PAC Audio SWI-CP2 interface to work with factory steering wheel controls and aftermarket radios), and my truck wasn't originally equipped with them. Nevermind that I have a base CTM (Central Timer Module), which doesn't support the steering wheel remote switches; my problem is that the positive/signal wire (BK/RD) doesn't even exist on my truck, so I have to try and add it.

My question in this post is, how do you put the new connector together (I'm going to try to attach a few pictures, so you can see what I'm describing). It's made by Standard Motor Products (part number is S2468), and inside the package is the white C1 connector; (6) wires with the pins that go inside the connector crimped onto them; (6) heat-shrink tubes, and (6) of these little copper pieces. I have NO idea where (6) copper pieces go (although, I'm sure somewhere on the pins crimped to the wires). I've searched and searched the Internet (including Standard Motor Products website), and kind find ZERO instructions. I really just want to insert one of the wires into pin 1 of my existing C1 white clockspring connector, because that's where the RD/BK wire for the steering wheel radio remote switches should be (doesn't exist on my truck), and then I could attach it to my steering wheel controls interface. But, I'm unsure how to do that (I suppose I could just unsnap that hinged cover at the top rear of the connector and look inside , but I'm scared to death pieces-parts are going to come out of it, LOL, and render my truck inoperative! Anybody have a clue?

Font Composite material Plastic Cleanliness Rectangle

Gold Wood Screw Tints and shades Metal

Writing implement Font Asphalt Circuit component Medical equipment

Electronic device Technology Wood Metal Fashion accessory

· Registered
75 Posts
The 2002 Dakota had no wiring or switches in the steering column or the
steering wheel for a radio at all. Speed control and air bag was all that
they were designed to operate..... Trying to adapt this may cause a air
bag to go off when not needed or not work when needed. If there is a
failure your passenger side air bag may fail at the same time.... Safer to
stay with old school turn the knobs.....

Good Luck, Daddyododge1

· Registered
2002 Dodge Dakota SXT 3.9L V-6
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 2002 Dakota had no wiring or switches in the steering column or the
steering wheel for a radio at all. Speed control and air bag was all that
they were designed to operate..... Trying to adapt this may cause a air
bag to go off when not needed or not work when needed. If there is a
failure your passenger side air bag may fail at the same time.... Safer to
stay with old school turn the knobs.....

Good Luck, Daddyododge1
Your statement is incorrect. There were (optional) remote switches to control the radio (they're even described in my owner's manual). They were (when equipped) located in the BACK COVER of the steering wheel. I've seen Dakotas as old as 2000 model year in junkyards with these switches, and I'm sure they were available on even older model year Dakotas.

Mine simply lacks the RD/BK wire for these switches, since it wasn't originally equipped with them. The wiring for these switches is completely separate from the air bag wiring, with the exception that they use the clockspring to maintain an electrical connection at all times, regardless of steering wheel position (just as the cruise control switches do).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts