Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have 2000 Ram van/wagon with the 3.9. The 32rh in her took a crap. I'd like to replace it with something a little more heavy duty. But I'm not sure which models will work and which won't work. Maybe even swap in a manual trans? Is that a crazy idea?

Any help, guidance, wisdom or all-in-good-fun ribbing greatly appreciated!!

Also, I have a 2003 Dakota with the 4.7 and the 45rfe trans. Could I swap that trans into the van?

Chris Dragotta
Owner
No Pressure Cleans
Benson, NC

·
9,487 Posts
Are you sure it's an RH (A999)? I thought everything Dodge had been changed over to RE by 2000. If it is in fact an RH and you want to stay 3 speed, throw a 727 (37RH) in there. It'll bolt right up and they are pretty much bulletproof. You can also use an A500 (42RH) or A518 (46RH) if you want to add OD, but you'll have to have the driveshaft shortened, and there is a simple bit of wiring.

The 45RFE will not work. You'd need to swap in the entire 4.7 powertrain and change the entire wiring harness, cluster, all the modules (ABS, airbag, CTM, etc). You could technically avoid changing modules if you found a 2000 Dakota/Durango PCM/TCM/harness but you'd have a lot of splicing to do.. Lots of fab work too. If you're going to put that much work into it I'd do a Hemi swap instead.

You could do a manual too, using an NV3500 or 4500, but you'd need everything related from a donor - pedals, clutch/hydraulics, crossmember, flywheel, bellhousing, and a manual PCM.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sure if the RH designation. It's on the body plate. Which vehicles would have the A727 in them?

Chris Dragotta
Owner
No Pressure Cleans
Benson, NC

·
9,487 Posts
It was the most popular transmission of the 70's 80's and 90's.. Take your pick lol! Old Ram pickups/vans/Ramchargers, and pretty much any Dodge/Plymouth RWD car from that era with a Slant 6 or V8 (big blocks and Hemis used different bellhousings though, so a 318/360 is what you'd look for).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts