Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to get HO cams, 2008 Intake, exhaust and F&B 70mm or 72mm TB its for Regular cab auto. I keep hearing most going with a 70mm with a setup like this but most seem to be in the heavier extended cab or quad cab.

Can I go 72mm in my RC. I might do the 206 cams plus the SCT. I dont want to get the 70mm only to find out that If I get the 206 cams I should have bought the 72mm TB and that it wouldn't really hurt having the 72mm until I do more to utilize them like the cam or whatever. Does that make sense?

Anyone run the 72mm in a regular cab with only cams and 2003 or 2008 intake?

Dan
2000 Dakota RC 4.7 Auto

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know the 70mm will be fine but if getting the 72mm wont really hurt with my plans Id rather get that. I just dont want to buy two TBs one now and one later and dont want the TB to kill my performance either. When should I think about getting a 72mm?

AIRRAMS site says "The 72mm 4.7 is ideal for factory HO motors" and "72mm 4.7 is for lighter vehicles looking for maximum gains" Mine is a RC and im going to get HO cams at the minimum along with a 2008 intake, 3" exhaust.

·
1700 + 1/4 mile passes
27,277 Posts
I know the 70mm will be fine but if getting the 72mm wont really hurt with my plans Id rather get that. I just dont want to buy two TBs one now and one later and dont want the TB to kill my performance either. When should I think about getting a 72mm?

AIRRAMS site says "The 72mm 4.7 is ideal for factory HO motors" and "72mm 4.7 is for lighter vehicles looking for maximum gains" Mine is a RC and im going to get HO cams at the minimum along with a 2008 intake, 3" exhaust.
in the 1/4 mine actually picked up a several hundreths and picked up about a full mph. and that was going from a 70mm fastman to a 72mm F&B

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
from what i have heard, get the 70 if you only have a superchips tuner, but go 72 if you plan on going SCT since you can tune for the extra gain. this actually came from Air_Ram too, so not sure why his site is saying you need the 72 with HO's. i currently have HO cams and 2003 intake with a fastman 70mm on superchips and it's nice. haven't had any track runs yet though to get real numbers.

plus if you are looking at doing the 08 IM then you should be getting an SCT anyway so you can tune that in better because the stock PCM on older models has a hard time with it from what i heard. so go SCT, 08 IM, and 72MM.

·
1700 + 1/4 mile passes
27,277 Posts
There are a few SCT products on AIRRAMS site which one do you recommend?
it depends on how much modifying you plan on doing. if you do the cams, intake, and TB and do't plan on doing anyting else, just get the SCT and 1 custom tune, but if you plan of changing more later on, either buy the pro package to do it yourself or get the SCT with unlimited tunes

1 - 9 of 9 Posts