Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally got the money to buy a supercharger for my 01 Dodge Durango. I've narrowed it down to either Vortec or Paxton.

Current mods. K&N FIPK, Fastman 52mm thottle body, MDS Igintion System, MSD 8.5mm Wires, MSD Blaster SS Coil, B.W. Performance Rotor & Cap, 180 degee Stat., Autolite 3923 Spark Plugs, JBA Headers w/ 2.5 Y-Pipe, Flowmaster Exhaust and Hypertech lll Flashed PCM.

Fastest Time: [email protected]
Can't make up my mind. ANY IMPUT.......

Jeff :huh:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
If you can afford the difference, get the Paxton. Both of those brands have good reputations, but the Paxton makes more power and it's a lot more popular, meaning you can get a lot more advice for tuning.

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
fatmat789 said:
I'd go with Vortech. Its just the same as a Paxton, but is a few hundred cheaper
The head units are not the same. They're now both owned by Paxton, but the Novi 2000 kit is more powerful than the Vortech. They're both good kits though.

G

·
I would personally go with the paxton. I've used them in the past and never had any trouble with them. My buddy is running a Novi 2000 kit on his stroked 347ci '91 LX Mustang. He absolutely loves his.

·
One of the Elite
1,736 Posts
Vortech

I would go with the Vortech, if you want more power, just change a pulley for like $50 bucks.

~CYCLONE_06

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
Personally, i would go with the Paxton kit b/c it has a better fuel management system and that it is a bit more powerful. But whatever s/c you choose i suggest you invest in getting a m-1 intake and either some mopar or gs motorsports headers. This will assist in getting the most power possible out of the s/c.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I would also try to get the "M1" and a "52 mm TB" as well

RICK

·
Scared? We're all scared
168 Posts
downlowrango said:
What about powerdyne or kenne bell?
yeah, what about these? i know that they are more difficult to tune than the paxton/vortech, but don't they make the same, if not more, power?

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
nightmare said:
yeah, what about these? i know that they are more difficult to tune than the paxton/vortech, but don't they make the same, if not more, power?
The Powerdyne is not as powerful as the Paxton, and typically has internal belt issues when you push it above its normal 6# state.

The Kenne Bell blower has a lot of power down low because of its design, but doesn't pull as hard in the top end.

G

·
My K/B S/C makes 7psi all the way to redline. So where is it that the power drops off anywhere? Unless you mean that the other kits stay at low boost and build past 7psi (which is unlikely). Im just asking because Ive read the statement that supposedly the K/B drops off at higher rpms but Ive never incountered this and Kenne Bell totally denies this statement. Im just asking for info purposes not to be a know it all. But I also have to point out that K/B custumer support online sucks and you need to call to get any questions answered. Maybe they just dont have time to answer e-mail. Well theres my 2-cents.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry I took so long to reply. And the WINNER is .............................

Kenne Bell Twin Screw Whipple Supercharger.

Now the installation.........SWEET............... :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts