Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering who would win 0-60

stock dodge ram 1500 with 5.7 hemi

durango r/t with cold air kit, mopar pcm, 52mm billet throttle body,headers with 3" ypipe, M1 2bbl, 1.7 roller rockers and catback exhaust???

·
Registered
115 Posts
Durango for sure with all of that...

·
One of the Elite
1,736 Posts
Durango

Of course the Durango would win. Guys, the Hemi is a nice engine, but they put it in a truck thats just too heavy. Thats like the new Viper SRT 10 truck. Yea its a V 10, but the Lightning still smoked it on the Motor Trend show I watched the other day. That naturally aspirated engine power is good, but with Fords Supercharged 385 hp engine, and 303 on the ground, it even stomps corvettes. I have seen it done. Dodge is a little behind, unless you buy a 5.7, and then supercharge it, or buy a 408 stroker, or a 5.9 and supercharge it. Then, Dodge will win.

~CYCLONE_06

·
Registered
115 Posts
Dude, what are your talkin about? A Ford lightning would lose so bad to a SRT 10. The viper rams are runnin 12.7's with 22's. The Ford lightnings are runnin 14's stock. I don't know where you come up with this b.s. that a Ford Lightning would win. Maybe it will win if the lightning has a little more under the hood(i.e-smaller pulley, intake, headers, high flo cat, 4:10's, stickies, big bore tb, and nitrous).

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
You're right... for now. The new ram will take a stock '03 Lightning. Barely. Oh just wait until '05 and then we will find out the real winner. Oh and by the way the Ram rolls on 24's and runs a 12.9 est. And the only time its got under 13's is on drag slicks... it can't hook up on standard street tires. Thats where the Lightning will eat its lunch... Lightning was designed to run 13 on street tires. Ford has more practice and a better setup.

·
One of the Elite
1,736 Posts
Ford is Faster

SurferPunk, I saw it on Motor Trend TV. I seriously doubt they would lie. Not to mention I was talking both trucks totally stock. The Ram is too heavy, and besides that, its very sad that Dodge has to add 2 more cylinders just to beat a supercharged v8. And, in 2005, The Lightning will be the truck to beat for sure. It comes with 500 Supercharged Horses, and if you need more, you turn the air conditioner on, and it dumps extra coolant into the intercooler, and gives the truck 50 more horses for 60 seconds.

Ford is faster now, and Ford will be faster in the future. I love Dodges, but you can't just say stuff isnt true when it is. Dodge needs to get on their game.

~CYCLONE_06

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I love dodge's too but when you have a $48k V10 truck and it barely competes with a $35k Blown V8 with 115 less horses... well thats just kinda sad in my book. Like cyclone said when the new 05 Lightning hits the streets its over. Give dodge a few more years to get the setup figured out then it will be something to talk about. Fords had 11 years of practice at this. Sad thing is the only competition the original Lightning had was the 454SS Chuby... that sux. The new silverado SS aint crap either... i ran one the other day and I thought the guy was gonna cry. I'm not even an R/T. Well chuby sux anyway.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow...sorry guys to create such tensions..I was just asking about a durango...lol anyway...while we're debating about the lightning and the srt10 I'll chime in...I think the truth of the matter is that dodge is trying to beat the competition with cubes instead of new technology...not to say that the lightning is newer technology...but it would be nice to have a motor from daimler chrysler that didn't require any modifications to put a blower on it...also even though I'm not a ford fan.. has anyone looked at the prices to hop up a v10? they're insane....2000 for an exhaust...500 for a cold air intake...I know speed cost money but when it comes down to dollar for dollar...why should we have to spend 10 when everyone else is spending 1...I mean on top of a truck thats probably going to list for around 45 to 50 grand its kinda insane...

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hehe sorry Mopar... back your original question... yes you should beat him... they aren't very fast. And I do agree with you on the pricing of options.

·
Purple - The color of sex
1,229 Posts
NO ONE has tested a production SRT10 Ram yet, period.

The Ram now rides on 22s BTW.

Prepro Lightning ran mid 14s-15 FWIW.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Been wanting to post this sence Midnight Madness on Dec.5th, but I've been soooo busy.

Just wanted to give you my two cents on the New Dodge Hemi Truck.

Oh and by the why I have a New BEST Time: [email protected]

Any why the 1500 Club Cab Hemi I blew into the weeds ran a [email protected], not to impressive.

But the 1500 Reg. Cab Hemi just barley beat me at [email protected], not to bad, I just thought 100 extra housepower in the Hemi, would do more damage to a 5.9.

Only my two cents............

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've owned two Lightnings a 2002 True Blue modded to 472 rwhp
and a 2003 Black stock.

My bone stock 03 ran 13.8 @ 100.88 mph.
My 2002 Blue Lightning ran 12.37 @ 113 on eagle F1s.

A bone stock Lightning will not outrun new C5 Corvettes.
The SRT-10s with good drivers are running low 13s right now.

I personally think mid to high 13s for a 30K Lightning is a better Value then a 46K not counting the dealer markups 10 mpg SRT-10 Rams....that are only running low 13s so far...especially when a few grand in Mods will get you well in the 12s in the Lightning.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SuRfeRpUnK22 said:
Dude, what are your talkin about? A Ford lightning would lose so bad to a SRT 10. The viper rams are runnin 12.7's with 22's. The Ford lightnings are runnin 14's stock. I don't know where you come up with this b.s. that a Ford Lightning would win. Maybe it will win if the lightning has a little more under the hood(i.e-smaller pulley, intake, headers, high flo cat, 4:10's, stickies, big bore tb, and nitrous).
Nope Lightnings run high 13s stock (I've had 2 of them)
and a Chip, pulley, intake and boost bypass....will be plenty for the Lightning to beat the SRT10.

·
Registered
67 Posts
yeah ford vs dodge good old battle. Ford is going to have to keep up with the new 6.1 hemi going into the dakota the dakota rt 5.9 is being taking off the market and the 4.7 and 5.2 are going to the the only opption till the 6.1 comes up in 2006 with over 400hp its going in the rams and the dakotas (the dakotas are going to cost about 30,000. not your normal truck its like a srt order. and its going to be limited but expect low low low 12,s dodge also has a 5.7 charger comming out and the razor with 250 hp to the wheels for challenge to the sti and evo. dodge also talking about supercharging the rumble bees to put the ford lightings out and a new viper motor with 600 hp for the 05 lighting (to kill it)

·
Registered
402 Posts
:stop: Let me be the one to toss out all of the specs for the '04 model year. All of these specs comes straight from the July/August 2004 Truck Trend:

SRT-10

0-60 4.9
1/4 mile 13.3 @ 106.9
Lateral accel., g 0.87
60-0 ft. 124.9
RPM @ 60 mph 1200
Speed through 600-ft slalom, mph 61.9
Track lapping (wet surface), min 1:13.4
Base Price $45,000
Price as tested $45,795
Tire ran: 305/40ZR22 Pirelli Scorpion Zero
Fuel: Premium unleaded
SAE Horses: 500 @ 5600 rpm
SAE Torque: 525 @ 4200 rpm

SVT F-150 Lightning

0-60 5.1
1/4 mile 13.6 @ 102.0
Lateral accel., g 0.86
60-0 ft. 122.9
RPM @ 60 mph 1900
Speed through 600-ft slalom, mph 61.5
Track lapping (wet surface), min 1:13.9
Base Price $32,615
Price as tested $33,945
Tire ran: 295/Z45R18 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS
Fuel: Premium unleaded
SAE Horses: 380 @ 4750 rpm
SAE Torque: 450 @ 3250 rpm

My opinion, the SRT-10 is faster but the Lightning is a better value. Value itslef does not make the Lightning a better truck and speed does not make the SRT-10 a better truck. That is like comparing a Viper to an Eclipse. I can go out (in 1998 which was the best production year of the Eclipse GSX) and spend $42000 on a Viper or $25000 on an Eclipse. Both are fast but the Viper is faster. But with $10000 in mods, the eclipse would be faster hands down and still only be at $35000. It is simply a matter of personal preference. These is no need in arguing, because everything changes from year to year.You cannot compare something this is not even out yet to a current model year. Everyone knows that from now and for years to come, Ford and Dodge will be exchanging the title holder of fastest production truck. Facts are facts, for now the SRT-10 is faster. Next year it will probably be the Lightning. Then the year after that, who knows. All i know is that they are both faster than what i have! :(

ps. i have every spec would could want, so if you want them, PM me or reply here.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
98 Black SLT said:
That is like comparing a Viper to an Eclipse. I can go out (in 1998 which was the best production year of the Eclipse GSX) and spend $42000 on a Viper or $25000 on an Eclipse. Both are fast but the Viper is faster. But with $10000 in mods, the eclipse would be faster hands down and still only be at $35000.
Ummm... I wanna know where you can get a Viper for $42000?!?! Viper vs. Eclipse... with mods the Eclipse might possibly be faster... I'll tell you what though... I'll take the Viper you take the Eclipse and we'll have a race to see how many ladies we can pick up in 5 minutes. How bout dem apples? Sorry but the Eclipse would lose on the gawk factor by far.

·
Registered
402 Posts
SSRage said:
Ummm... I wanna know where you can get a Viper for $42000?!?! Viper vs. Eclipse... with mods the Eclipse might possibly be faster... I'll tell you what though... I'll take the Viper you take the Eclipse and we'll have a race to see how many ladies we can pick up in 5 minutes. How bout dem apples? Sorry but the Eclipse would lose on the gawk factor by far.
Both values were from Cars.com for a 1998. Never the less, the lady factor and the gawk factor mean nothing to me since i am engaged. Frankly, i don't choose my rides based on what girls will think. I let my looks and my charm do that work. Plus, if i were to snag a girl just because of my ride, i wouldn't want that type of a girl. But anyways, i personally would probably choose a viper as well, but i would rather have a car that is all go and some show not all show and some go. I guess my priorities are a little different than yours. But i will tell ya what about them ladies... if they were at the finish line and the viper just got smashed, where do you really think that ladies would go??? how about them apples?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Very good points there. I'm spoken for as well but just the sheer fact of the viper turning heads is something else altogether. Bout the chicks being at the finish line going for the rice that won then I definetly don't want them. Ricer girls aren't the brightest bunch in the world. Either way I would still take the Viper over the souped up Eclipse. I've driven both and there is nothing like the all motor blast of power that the Viper gives you. Screw the maxed out turbo that you can't do anything else with. Give me 500 horse and 500 lb/ft of torque anyday. By the way the '04 Viper's are nothing like the Gen 1 Vipers. They are a much more refined ride. Not near as harsh and it feels like its trying to stick to the corners and not try to slide out. All though that is fun too. Its nice having rich friends.

·
Registered
402 Posts
SSRage said:
Very good points there. I'm spoken for as well but just the sheer fact of the viper turning heads is something else altogether. Bout the chicks being at the finish line going for the rice that won then I definetly don't want them. Ricer girls aren't the brightest bunch in the world. Either way I would still take the Viper over the souped up Eclipse. I've driven both and there is nothing like the all motor blast of power that the Viper gives you. Screw the maxed out turbo that you can't do anything else with. Give me 500 horse and 500 lb/ft of torque anyday. By the way the '04 Viper's are nothing like the Gen 1 Vipers. They are a much more refined ride. Not near as harsh and it feels like its trying to stick to the corners and not try to slide out. All though that is fun too. Its nice having rich friends.
http://www.extrememotorsports.com/dynoruns.htm
http://www.extrememotorsports.com/slips.htm

I think that these suys have done plenty more than just a turbo upgrade. I realize that this is a 1G Talon, but as i am sure you know that talons are the same as eclipses and lasers. Plus, the 1G uses the same 4G63 motor that is in the 2G Eclipse (1998). Also keep in mind that the Dyno is without Nitrous.
Now about the rice... DSMs were put together in IL, using mostly US parts, so how can that be compared to a Civic? A DSM is not rice... hell, it is Diamler Chrysler! C'mon now... Not to mention that DSMs eat rice on a daily basis! Not even the same class. Never the less, we are way off topic now...

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I can guarantee you that they spent more than $10k to get that car to do that. What I was referring to rice about was the whole concept of taking a little motor that makes roughly 150 hp and making it do 400hp (hopefully) and dropping an ass load of money into it to make it do that. For that I will take a '93 Mustang 5.0 for $6k and spend another $8k on it and make it run in the 10's. So pick your poison... its whatever you prefer. Still gonna stick with the Durango R/T beating the Hemi 1500. The lightning beating the SRT at the end of the year. The Viper eating the rice. And my dakota outrunning the Silverado SS's. How bout dat? :hijack:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts