Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm torn...I like that K&N is a proven deal(had good luck in the past) but I do like how simple the 360 is, and that its aluminum that I can get powder-coated in mirror black. I just wanted to hear from those of you that have the 360 to find out what its like. The biggest thing I'm concerned with is the sound. I want the K&N sucking sound. I'm sure that the 360 does this, but I just want to make sure from some of you that have it. And also, I kind of like the Intense Performance Z-tube. What is this like compared to the earlier mentioned two? Thanks guys!

·
Speed Freak
269 Posts
Alot of people like the 360 because it's cheaper and you can powdercoat it different colors. But there is also alot of people that like k&n's too. Personally i would go with the 360 because 1. its cheaper and 2. it dosen't crack like the k&n does.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
02graphiteR/T said:
Alot of people like the 360 because it's cheaper and you can powdercoat it different colors. But there is also alot of people that like k&n's too. Personally i would go with the 360 because 1. its cheaper and 2. it dosen't crack like the k&n does.

Yeah, thats what I like about the 360: the powdercoating and that its aluminum. I don't want to shell out 250-300 bucks on something that its going to warp or crack on me. Ok, I've decided on the 360 now!

·
Speed Freak
269 Posts
Good choice. I'm sure you'll be very happy :mullet:

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
03DakotaEric said:
I'm torn...I like that K&N is a proven deal(had good luck in the past) but I do like how simple the 360 is, and that its aluminum that I can get powder-coated in mirror black. I just wanted to hear from those of you that have the 360 to find out what its like. The biggest thing I'm concerned with is the sound. I want the K&N sucking sound. I'm sure that the 360 does this, but I just want to make sure from some of you that have it. And also, I kind of like the Intense Performance Z-tube. What is this like compared to the earlier mentioned two? Thanks guys!
Yes the 360Air intake will have the "sucking" sound from the throttle body - just about any aftermarket air intake will have this, because they aren't as restrictive as the stock air box/filter.

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there a air hat that I can use with the 360 intake for my RT? I know the K&N is a complete unit and makes more power but I am partial to the powdercoat appearance of the 360.

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
Yobbo said:
Is there a air hat that I can use with the 360 intake for my RT? I know the K&N is a complete unit and makes more power but I am partial to the powdercoat appearance of the 360.
The 360 Air Intakez unit comes with its own air hat.

·
Registered
10 Posts
.02 cents

Just my opinion, but I have had both a 360 and a K&N FIPK. I went with the 360 first. There were two main problems I had. First, the "powdercoat" came off the pipes. It would literally turn to power in my hand when I would grab the pipe. Second was the fact that the pipe does not fasten to any part of the truck. It lays along side the engine. After I started noticed the paint problem, I determined that the cause may have been the hood coming down on top of the pipe, however there is little room to move the pipe around so I had to do the best I could to get clearance. I finally got tired of looking at the flaky paint and ordered a FIPK. I am much happier with the K&N system It hard mounts to the sides of the engine compartment and the engine. You can grab the assembly after it is installed and you can hardly move it. I did notice the 360 was louder, but the performance is just as good, if not better with the K&N. Yes the K&N costs about twice as much as the 360, but I have had the FIPK in for two months and I am finding it is worth the extra $$. Sorry to be so wordy, but I though someone might appreciate my point of view. I wish I had it before buying two intake kits.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And I do appreciate your input. I was hoping there was someone here that has had both. Its a shame that you had to go through that mess. Thanks for your opinion, jgates64.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I just bought my K&N a few weeks ago and I was definitely impressed with the quality of the product. Sorry I can't offer any comparison help, but the whole time I was ordering it I was like "man I can't believe I'm paying $280 for this nonsense," and after I got it installed, it really was worth the money. Very well made kit, everything lined up just right, the instructions were reasonably easy to follow, etc.

Nice to put on a mod that doesn't need any additional steps like drilling out the 3 holes they forgot to put in, or having to bend some bracket for your model year, etc.

Edit: I remember what finally turned me away from the 360 air intakes was - I was browsing their website, and it asked me to choose which engine I had in my truck.. the "V4" "V6" or "V8" ... now I'd like to know the last time somebody saw a V4 engine in a car or truck. (I think Saab did it in the 60s)

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What about the 360 kool shot???

I haven't noticed if anyone has this...nor has anyone commented on it. But what about the Kool Shot?? Seems like it'd be easier to install, and it uses the factory air box that grabs air from the fender behind the passenger headlamp. And it shows that it gets a tad more HP and FTlbs of torque, with just a stock looking high flow filter. I do like that its just ONE tube going from filter to the TB instead of two connected with an ugly blue collar... :vomit:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had a 360 air intakez on my 99 ram before i got the r/t and i loved it. The sound was good. It pulled alot more power out of the 5.2 and was extremely sturdy. Never had flaking problems with the powdercoating and the heatsheild it came with held all the weight of the aluminum tube. It never even offered to wiggle after install. I plan on getting another one just like it for the r/t very soon.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
there's a lot of intakes out there. have you checked out http://www.intenseperformance.com you can also mix and match. bamboo has a K&N airhat with a stage III IP. nice setup.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just put a gen II FIPK on my 4.7, and it was well worth it. I like its throaty sound, and it was very simple to put on too. It only took me about 30 min start to finish.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just put my 360 on 2 days ago. Went on fine. GREAT sound out of it. I doubt I will see higher MPG, becuase I cant keep my foot off it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I am curious about the sound of these, specifically the 360. I don't want anything that is really loud but how can you explain this(if you can?) I mean, is it like loud all the time or just at certain rpm's or when you really put the pedal to the floor? If I am just driving around town is it going to be loud and annoying? Or what about driving down the interstate at 75-80mph, will I be able to talk to the passenger?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I have a 5.9 automatic Durango, so I'll see if I can explain how the K&N sounds.

At idle, there is very little change. There is a slightly noticable hissing sound from under the hood, but you really don't hear it that much. Think of the sound of someone using a can of spray paint about 20 feet away.

When you step on the gas 20-40%, it becomes a noticable air sucking sound. That's the only way to describe it. It isn't loud, but you can clearly hear it in the cabin. Like the noise you'd get if you half covered up a vacuum cleaner hose with your hand.

Past 50% throttle the sucking sound goes away, and it's a quieter "woosh" of just a lot of air going in - but you don't really hear much. At 75-100% throttle, the *exhaust* gets much louder and you hear a nice throaty low tone. Before I had a very quiet WOT, now when I get on it, there is a really reassuring deep sound from the exhaust and possibly a bit from under the hood as well.

The D is my daily driver and it is 100% not obnoxious on the interstate, or in normal traffic. In normal driving you DO notice it, but it's not so loud as to be annoying - and I'm pretty anal about that kind of thing, I like my ride quiet for the morning commute.

It is definitely NOT something you would hear over the radio at normal volume, unless you are at full throttle.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Perfect, that is just what I was looking for. Thanks for the response. Now I have to decide if dishing out the $145 is going to be worth it.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Ok, one more question. I have the 2000 4X4 4.7 liter v8. I have read that some people have had trouble installing these in their dakotas. Anybody give some insight to this? I know a lot of them are basically easy to install but I have heard the 360 sometimes takes some persuasion with other cables and such? Not trying to bad mouth it, just curious cause I plan on ordering it.

Thanks

·
Registered
92 Posts
the problem is that the 4x4 engine sits up higher than the regular one. I know that his is working on the problem. He is waiting on a perticular guy to come back to his shop, so he can test fit it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts