Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting to plan out what else I wanna do with my truck. I am adding power windows and locks, eventually foglights, and I wanted to make sure i had enough extra fuses to run anything else I could think of.

So which one is better?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRF-70217/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRF-70107/

I know one says it has constant and switched fuses, but my bigger question is the relays. One is a 30 and one is a 40. Should I get the 40 since the Windows/Locks probably pull a nice amount of juice?

Has anyone dealt with these boxes before? I read the instructions, they seem pretty straightforward.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
i didn't read the specs that close, but windows might draw 10-15A(for 10 seconds at a time).....locks more like 5A, and it's just a pulse.....the big relays are for lighting and possibly some ignition(as in multiple small circuits run off the one relay)......though in my opinion, you want lighting relays as close to the actual bulb as possible.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you please explain to me in laymans terms what a relay does?

I believe my window fuse is supposed to be something like 25 amps.

I just looked it up, 30a circuit breaker for my windows.

·
Registered
49 Posts
picture a relay as an electronic switch more or less. you have a constant power and a remote wire. the constant goes through the switch to whatever you want to power, but the remote wire switches the relay on. it's usually wired to come on when the car is on. you could do this automatically to a place in the fuse block, or you could add a switch in line (in which the relay would be pointless lol). much like the way a car amplifier works. the power is always on, but the remote wire flips a little relay inside the amp to allow it to power on

those things are pretty neat tho. i've never seen anything like that before. they could definitely come in handy

·
Resident Craigslist Whore
3,230 Posts
have you looked to see what wiring is already existing in your truck? dodge isnt going to make 6 different wiring harnesses because one doesnt have power windows, one doesnt have ac, etc etc. all the main wiring harnesses are the same, then they just leave out the fuses, relays, maybe some wiring sections, and switches for the options that didnt come on the truck.

my 04 sxt had no factory fog lights. however, the plugs for fogs were there and just ziptied to the main harness next to the radiator. i put a relay in the "fog light" place in the fuse block and a fuse in the "fog light" place in the fuse box, then got a factory fog switch on ebay for 15 bucks and it worked just like factory. take your panels off and see if youve got plugs for stuff. you may just need to go to the junkyard and strip the door wiring harnesses out of a kota or rango with power windows and locks, then throw some fuses and relays in where the factory ones would have been.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I personally have not looked to see whats there, but I know that LittleBlueGuy said he had to make a harness for his power windows/locks.

I know the overhead console harness is tucked away behind the dash, so I dont have to worry about that at least.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I ended up buying a cheaper and simpler version of the three fuse holder. I will try wiring up the window to the 20 amp fuse and if I blow it I will run it through a 30 amp relay.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts