Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Backstory: I'm a longtime ford guy. I just purchased a dakota, as there is nothing ford that comes close to what i was looking for. My current daily is a 1998 ford ranger ex cab 4x4, with a 5.0 swap and a Magnuson blower. I wanted a similar sized truck that had some more interior room, and a motor that was in the same power ballpark stock. After a lot of research, i decided on a 5.9 Dakota. Turns out these trucks are rare as hell, so it took me 6 months to find one I liked.

Finally found and purchased just what i wanted, an 03 Dakota quad cab 5.9, 4x4 with the 3.92 LS disc brake rear and only 34k miles. I must admit, I'm pretty impressed with this truck. It actually comes closer to keeping up with my ranger than i was expecting. However, more is always good, so I'm considering putting a blower on it.

My question is which style blower works better on these trucks, the centrifugal (paxton, vortech) or the lysholm (kenne bell). I'm kinda leaning toward the kenne bell, as it is somewhat similar to the magnuson on my ranger. I'd run it with large injectors and a custom SCT tune, just like my ranger.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
977 Posts
if you look in the for sale section somebody has one for sale there the was just listed not long ago

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just looked and only saw a powerdyne kit that sold a while ago. I'm not interested in a powerdyne anyways. If I'm missing something else, could you link it?
Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
977 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
a77cj7, just out of curiosity, how much did you pick that Dakota up for?

·
Outlaws Phone Warden
12,864 Posts
zcodeperformance.com

thats the kit you want if you wanna shit yourself the first time you launch it......

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
zcodeperformance.com

thats the kit you want if you wanna shit yourself the first time you launch it......
Holy shit, wow. Hadn't seen that one before. Love the design, very similar to whats on my ranger, though an even better intake. Can't tell from the site, is this even available yet? Other concerns are I definitely want to keep my a/c, and that is only listed for 2wd trucks, not sure how the 4x4's are different.

As for what i payed for the truck... 16 grand. I realize I payed too much, but its worth it to me as i doubt I'm gonna find another nearly as nice.

Chris

·
Registered
977 Posts
Ouch really there's a 2004 club cab 4x4 38k miles and they want 15k

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Doesn't sound like I did too bad then. From similar 4.7 trucks listed on autotrader, I figured it was worth 13-14k.
Mine was a single owner truck, which appears to have been garage kept its whole life, no rust anywhere. Appears to be completely optioned out, except for keyless entry and the cd changer. I got it from a dealer, so that jacked the price some. I did get 2 grand trade-in on a car i was given though, so that helps.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Ya cause mine is on car fax as one owner and stock not that high but probley different market and for a new car dealer sounds right

·
Outlaws Phone Warden
12,864 Posts
Holy shit, wow. Hadn't seen that one before. Love the design, very similar to whats on my ranger, though an even better intake. Can't tell from the site, is this even available yet? Other concerns are I definitely want to keep my a/c, and that is only listed for 2wd trucks, not sure how the 4x4's are different.

As for what i payed for the truck... 16 grand. I realize I payed too much, but its worth it to me as i doubt I'm gonna find another nearly as nice.

Chris
He just started making them kits.....he was sick of the intake restriction to the blower so he made his own.....LOL

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He just started making them kits.....he was sick of the intake restriction to the blower so he made his own.....LOL
Just spoke with him over on the R/T forum. He says the production kits will be compatible with the 4x4 and A/C. Looks like I'll be waiting for these kits to become available. Many thanks for the heads up.
Chris

·
Outlaws Phone Warden
12,864 Posts
Youre welcome man... If i had the coin, i would be doing that setup instead of a turbo on my truck....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts