Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, I want to get my pcm flashed by tom fox. Hes with sam parthemer at socaldakota i believe. I got 714-639-5220 and 619-274-1292 and I also had951-371-7420 None of the numbers seem to work. Nor does the socaldakota.com site

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
hey, I want to get my pcm flashed by tom fox. Hes with sam parthemer at socaldakota i believe. I got 714-639-5220 and 619-274-1292 and I also had951-371-7420 None of the numbers seem to work. Nor does the socaldakota.com site
Where ya been...

Sam is gone, along with a lot of members cash. Everyone uses a SCT now.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Durango 2000. But don't I have to get a wideband, new injectors (cause they'd be phasing out my kenne bell auxlliary inj's) and then get the sct package. $1k ? Well, if sam's bad, what about tom fox? He was supposedly better than B&G (which I had used last time)

·
Registered
664 Posts
Durango 2000. But don't I have to get a wideband, new injectors (cause they'd be phasing out my kenne bell auxlliary inj's) and then get the sct package. $1k ? Well, if sam's bad, what about tom fox? He was supposedly better than B&G (which I had used last time)
Well if you are running a blower without a wide band and datalogging your PCM vitals, I believe that to be a BIG mistake in itself.

SCT, injectors and map sensor is the correct way to tune it. Tom cant tune for a boosted application unless you stick with your KB band aid setup.

It seems the money spent on the SCT setup is cheaper than a motor?

Todd

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did have it tuned and dynoed by a professional. I had the smt6 (piggyback) tuner installed instead of the optimizer. I believe he installed a wide band type map sensor thing (originally, the computer couldn't understand what was going on when i got into boost and the optimizer wasn't correctly designed for that...hence the fallout, leading to no more kenne bells for our trucks) But anyways, I agree that sct is the stuff right now. I just can't lay down the cake. Anyways, one of the problems seems to have been a death flash on my oem pcm (I had re-installed it a month ago after an incorrectly connected msd tach adapter fried my B&G flashed one. (It wouldn't turn over until I stuck the oem pcm in) But it was running crappy. So now I just installed a remanufactured (But unflashed) one tonight and it seems to be running better. Not better than the b&G flashed one but noticeably better than the oem. MAYBE that oem was death flashed

·
ROFLcopter
16,692 Posts
floptimizer. Ditch all of that bypass piggyback boocheddah, run main injectors, loose the secondaries, and have sct do the tuning. Without a windeband, was white mentioned, you are gambling with your motor. A wideband is necessary, you can log the necessary sensors, be safe, rather than sorry! Sct w/ a wideband and datalogging will give your face a broad smile!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well maybe, but I've only got 27# injectors right now (I seem to see people getting huge ones...inthe 60s) $350-500 Then I'd need that LM2 setup or something $350-500 then the sct $350 if I'm lucky lastly... what about check engine lights (I gotta pass ct emmissions) I remember looking into the f.a.s.t. setup but kept on reading about cels (I can't handle dodging the authorities any more)

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
floptimizer. Ditch all of that bypass piggyback boocheddah, run main injectors, loose the secondaries, and have sct do the tuning. Without a windeband, was white mentioned, you are gambling with your motor. A wideband is necessary, you can log the necessary sensors, be safe, rather than sorry! Sct w/ a wideband and datalogging will give your face a broad smile!
What he said.

On my NA build, B&G flashed my PCM three times, never did get it right...450.00 original cost, plus 250.00 x 2...Add it up, and was still wrong.

Hemifever tuning with a SCT and using my datalogs damn near nailed it first try. And all the revisions since are free.

Gotta data log, no way around it.

·
Blown and Squirted
3,407 Posts
Well if you are running a blower without a wide band and datalogging your PCM vitals, I believe that to be a BIG mistake in itself.

SCT, injectors and map sensor is a better way to tune it. Tom cant tune for a boosted application unless you stick with your KB band aid setup.

Todd
Agreed the KB stuff is garbage, not convinced SCT is THE CORRECT way to tune, it's certaintly better than the KB crap. The two-bar setups are still essentially hacks.

If you need to pass emissions it's definitely the best option for you. You should be able to re-coup some money from both your 27lb injectors and the smt6 when you are ready to remove it.

·
Registered Loser
2,342 Posts
hey, I want to get my pcm flashed by tom fox. I got 714-639-5220
That should be the right number for Tom. At least, it was at one time. I haven't called him in years.

As others have said, for the price of a custom flash, you'd be better off with SCT, because you can always retune it for future mods.

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
I guess ive been gone for awhile too. Please update me. He packed up and took off ? No one can find him or bring his ass to court?
A long story shortened: It appears that Sam stretched his credit too far between his customers and his distributors. Some people were upset that parts were shipping late, then vocalized their frustrations. A few people started disputing their paypal/credit transactions then convinced others to do the same, and that snowballed to the point where it completely buried Sam's accounts and prevented him from filling any more orders - so he was forced to close up shop. I haven't heard any status updates from past disgruntled customers in a very long time so I don't know how things ended up - I can only assume that they either gave up, or got taken care of somehow.

Sam still lives in SoCal, and still works his regular day job. I know times have been very tough for him since the collapse.

·
Registered Loser
2,342 Posts
A long story shortened: It appears that Sam stretched his credit too far between his customers and his distributors. Some people were upset that parts were shipping late, then vocalized their frustrations. A few people started disputing their paypal/credit transactions then convinced others to do the same, and that snowballed to the point where it completely buried Sam's accounts and prevented him from filling any more orders - so he was forced to close up shop.
There was a little more to it than that. He got ripped off for a complete motor he sold, then somehow the buyer got either Paypal or the credit card to dispute and refund the amount, while the buyer kept the motor. To complicate it further, the buyer was Canadian.
Then the rest of what you said happened on top of it.

The bottom line is though; Sam got himself into the jam. It was risky to do business on credit and he paid dearly for it. I think that's a lesson a LOT of people have learned lately too.

And for what it's worth, I don't defend what happened and I especially don't defend how he handled it, but I do still consider Sam a friend.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK Guys, I'll start researching the datalogger thread and maybe try to find the size injectors I should use. Next question... If I DO have a death flash on my oem pcm, should THAT be the one I use for the SCT tune (Thereby saving the remanufactured one)

·
Megashifter
15 Posts
I've been absent for many moons. Sad to learn of these events.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts