Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
150,XXX Miles
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am running out on what the dealer gave me for touch paint and I want to know who makes quality touch-up paints. I did a quick Google search and saw that a few companies make it, but I only looked at AutomotiveTouchup.com which sells a 1/2 oz. touch-up bottle for only $10. They also sell 1/2 oz. clear coat for only $5 and same size and price for primer too! Is this a quality company, if not, where should I look?

B.T.W.- My Durango is PDR, Graphite Metallic, if that helps at all.

·
don't feed the bears
10,668 Posts
be careful with graphite metallic.. i have found out throu members on this board when i was looking for "touch up" , theres about 5 different shades of PDR graphite metallic. The metallic, if not shot in the same direction as the other panels, will "flash".

eventually we will all need to repaint the trucks due to the clear coat peel problem :huh:

·
150,XXX Miles
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I'll probably just go to my local dealer, do I need to buy primer or clear coat?

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Ok, I'll probably just go to my local dealer, do I need to buy primer or clear coat?
You don't have to get the primer from the dealer just a good basic auto primer that suits the color you're shooting over it with. Hopefully your not touching up enough to need the clear but if you are the same thing a good basic enamel not lacquer clear paint.
If you had the exact paint code for your truck a good auto parts store in your area with a nice dupli-color selection could match you up if you wanted to get it all in one shot.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I used automotivetouchup.com last fall to paint and clear the primer square's on my roof, came out absolutely perfect in paint matching. I definately plan on going with them for any future paint need's. All I need to do is now is wet sand the roof and it will be done.

The dealership should carry the little touch up bottle's at any given time.

·
Dak-Dur 11th Most Wanted
12,282 Posts
I've seen the little bottles at Wal Mart and the same brand at O'Reiley's, I grabbed a bit hoping it'll work, but I have to wait for it to warm up first.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I've seen the little bottles at Wal Mart and the same brand at O'Reiley's, I grabbed a bit hoping it'll work, but I have to wait for it to warm up first.
Watch out for the touch up bottle's at walmart, kmart, autozone, napa, murray's, ect. I bought some touch up for my dad's truck last summer from autozone, went to use it, wasn't mixing at all. The bottle must have been on the shelf for over a year before I bought it. Walmart I came across the same problem's. I returned the paint to both store's 3-4 time's before I finally gave up and went to the dealership.

·
150,XXX Miles
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Watch out for the touch up bottle's at walmart, kmart, autozone, napa, murray's, ect. I bought some touch up for my dad's truck last summer from autozone, went to use it, wasn't mixing at all. The bottle must have been on the shelf for over a year before I bought it. Walmart I came across the same problem's. I returned the paint to both store's 3-4 time's before I finally gave up and went to the dealership.
I'm gonna see how much the dealer wants tomorrow and then I'll decide if I'll use Automotive Touch Up or not, thanks everyone!

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I'm gonna see how much the dealer wants tomorrow and then I'll decide if I'll use Automotive Touch Up or not, thanks everyone!
Dealership here in NE IL sell's it for like $15 before taxes. Consider the shipping charge's before going with automotivetouchup.com. While I recommend that web site to everyone I know it might not be the cheaper route in this case. Just some food for thought.

·
Dak-Dur 11th Most Wanted
12,282 Posts
Cool, thanks. I've used the black before on the last Dak and it wasn't horrible. I'll have to check it out and see how it looks. At least I have time to do that now before it warms up.

·
150,XXX Miles
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Called the Dodge dealer, they want ~$10, I'll go there next week.

·
150,XXX Miles
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Called the Dodge dealer, they want ~$10, I'll go there next week.
I went today and ordered it, it takes a day to bring in, I'll get it next week, total price was ~$10. More importantly, I learned that my local dealership has nice people, which means I'll be calling them more often for parts/service!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts