Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
150,XXX Miles
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dealer wants $46 for a new pan and $10 for the gasket which really is just a liquid like glue he said that I put around the edges of the new pan. I don't know the name of the transmission I have but I know that I have the 4.7L and the 2WD, 4WD Hi, 4WD Lo and the N settings on my 2002 Durango. I want to save some money by purchasing online but I couldn't find anything, even at rockauto.com. And also, is the parts guy right, is there a gasket I need or do I just apply this solution? Thanks!

·
Pre-Teen Giggle Brigade
6,840 Posts
gasket and filter kit is 12 bucks at advance.

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
You two are putzes...he's looking for the PAN and gasket.

$46 for a pan doesn't sound bad at all to me. The trans you have is the 45RFE (5-45RFE is the same).

Just use silicone gasket maker for it. You only need a bead that is 1/4" or a little less in diameter to seal it well. The size of a normal pencil, for example.

While you're in there, change the filterS. Parts stores will have a WIX brand kit, comes with both filters and a cork gasket if you choose to use it (I don't trust cork).

·
Pre-Teen Giggle Brigade
6,840 Posts
You two are putzes...he's looking for the PAN and gasket.

$46 for a pan doesn't sound bad at all to me. The trans you have is the 45RFE (5-45RFE is the same).

Just use silicone gasket maker for it. You only need a bead that is 1/4" or a little less in diameter to seal it well. The size of a normal pencil, for example.

While you're in there, change the filterS. Parts stores will have a WIX brand kit, comes with both filters and a cork gasket if you choose to use it (I don't trust cork).
ok i understand this. but y pay 10 for a gaket when u can pay 12 and get a gasket and filter

·
don't feed the bears
10,668 Posts
i paid 35 for my pan from teh dealer and it came with a factory type rubber/metal core gasket.. :huh:

·
150,XXX Miles
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Looks like I'll just buy the sealer and pan from the dealer, and I'll buy one of those WIX Automotive & Light Truck Transmission Filters Product Code: 58843-EA from AMSOIL.com for $48 along with their Synthetic ATF. How much ATF do I need if I'm just doing a drain and fill? How much does the transfer case need if I'm just doing a drain and fill for that too? What type of tool do I need to refill the transfer case? Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts