Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after dennis'dak pointed out the constant running of my clutch fan... i began to wonder about it... it seems to alway be running like i said, when i start it after running a while. Constant. the electric kicks in when its supposed to but a majority of the time is never on. It was replaced last fall after an.. uh-hum accident..by my insurance company by an other than mopar brand, only it and the radiator aren't mopar. I guess Im just wondering when its supposed to kick in/shut off and if its busted, anyway to tell... thanks guys, i appreciate it

·
I rage, therefore I am.
80 Posts
A clutch fan will spin 100% of the time the engine is running. What changes is how much it slips.

As the waterump heats up, the snout transfers heat to the fan clutch. This causes an internal spring to contract and place more drag on the fan which causes the blades to slip less relative to the pump shaft and the fan spins faster to cool the engine.

Notice when you shut the D off after a drive, let it sit for about 10 minutes and restart it. The fan will be sucking a huge amount of air and you'll hear it wooshing for a couple minutes because it had a chance to heat soak from the waterpump without any cooling air running over it. As soon as it cools down a bit, it should loosen up and you won't hear it anymore.

That's normal operation for a clutch fan.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts