Folks,

Simple question for some of you I imagine ... we are looking at
126,138 Miles for the Americans and approx 203,000 KM for us
Canadians :biggthump

thanks

·
"Fuchengruhvin"
1,759 Posts
Unless you are miss-firing horribly, you are fine. Timing chains stretch, but not enough to worry about. If a timing chain breaks, you'll know it due to the "non-movement" of your D. Same goes for a gear tooth....

B

·
0 Posts
The timing "belt" should be changed about every 60,000 miles or when you see it's badly cracked or frayed on the edges.

·
Your hero
561 Posts
We dont have a timing belt, we have a timing chain. You could always go with a good double roller and not have to stress about your chain anymore.

D

·
0 Posts
The timing chain and gears are a life of the engine part just like pistons, cranks, etc. They are not a wear item that needs to be changed on a periodic basis.

Unless you are experiencing a lot of noise from the chain no need to worry about it.

B

·
0 Posts
I thought he really meant the serpentine belt, no one ever asks about the actual timing chain as it's a non maintenence item. :sorry:

G

·
0 Posts
Are you guys serious? A timing chain will last a lot longer than a timing belt, but it will certainly not last forever. Timing chains stretch and should be changed. If your Durango is running fine, leave it alone. But if it is not, with over 120,000 miles, it could be time to change the chain.

·
Your hero
561 Posts
I said nothing about keeping it, they do strech over time and use, why I recommended getting a good double roller that will probably be in that motor longer then whoever the owner is.

·
Gas Guzlin and Tire smoke
3,301 Posts
Umm. A timing chain might stretch but ive never heard of one going bad due to stretching. they break RARELY! timing belts stretch because thier rubber and have tensioners on them. only time iv seen steel stretch is when it was about 4000 degrees lol not trying to sound mean or start anything just saying :wave:

D

·
0 Posts
The chain will not be tight. I have seen two ways of determing if it's streached too much.

1. Is to put a straight edge (i.e., a ruler) from the crank gear to the cam gear and measure the amount of slack at the mid point of the chain. 1/2" is the limit.

2. the way it's described in the 99 FSM I have is toturn the cam back and forth with out moving the crank and pick a point at the top of the cam gear and measure the motion. The limit is 1/8" is the limit.

J

·
0 Posts
Is there any performance advantage with one over the other? Between the chain and the gears that is. I heard somewhere that the gears make alot of noise. Dont know if thats true or not.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Umm. A timing chain might stretch but ive never heard of one going bad due to stretching. they break RARELY! timing belts stretch because thier rubber and have tensioners on them. only time iv seen steel stretch is when it was about 4000 degrees lol not trying to sound mean or start anything just saying :wave:
Timing chains also have tensioners for the same reason. As far as never hearing of steel chains stretching, just ask a Biker. I'm sure their chains don't reach 4000 degrees and they constantly have to tighten chains due to stretching. Take a look at a chain driven bike and you will see how they adjust. Bicycle chains also stretch and they are also steel chains.

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
Timing chains also have tensioners for the same reason. As far as never hearing of steel chains stretching, just ask a Biker. I'm sure their chains don't reach 4000 degrees and they constantly have to tighten chains due to stretching. Take a look at a chain driven bike and you will see how they adjust. Bicycle chains also stretch and they are also steel chains.
Do not use a timing chain tensioner on your 5.2/5.9 motor.

And yes, chains will stretch over time. good double roller will last longer, but once again, will eventually stretch over time.

As far as a gear drive set up over a good double roller timing chain, stick with the timing chain. The gear drive set up is noisy and hard to set up. Also, the bearings will wear out quicker than a chain. Cloyes makes a good double roller set up.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The chains don't actually stretch. What happens is the individual metal links wear and the more wear they have, the longer the chain becomes. So "chain stretch" is really dependent on oil maintenance. If an engine was supplied with good clean oil and kept topped off over it's lifetime, It may never need a chain replacement. An engine run habitually with dirty or low oil, will.

I'm still on original chains. Original everything, actually @ 267K miles.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts