Dakota Durango Forum banner

141 - 160 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
I realize my 5.9 is going to suck down a bit more gas than a 4.7, but still..... I'm open to suggestions on what I can do to help out a bit. i would be ecstatic if I could average a solid 16mpg.

·
American Rebel.
13,453 Posts
damn what all have you done?

·
American Rebel.
13,453 Posts
oh damn. well then, intake exhaust, get a superchips to retune the computer, bigger throttle body, like a 55-58mm. maybe headers. run some seafoam through the motor. that should be a huge improvement

·
Registered
64 Posts
budget is EXTREMELY limited at the moment. I did do my own cold air intake, but I don't like it, so that may be going back to stock. I had a new CAT and exhaust put on last year before heading to Afghanistan. Nothing crazy, just standard stuff. I have run seafoam through it, but plan on doing that again real soon. No $$ for headers, but may consider the bigger throttle body.

Any links or suggestions on where to get the throttle body and/or superchip?

·
American Rebel.
13,453 Posts
I understand ya man. For the throttle body on here, you can find 99blakdak. (i think thats how you spell it) hell sells them for pretty nice price. Superchips try autoanything.com They give out great discounts and Im sure they are the cheapest. Oh free shipping on that site too

·
Registered
64 Posts
I was actually just looking at it on autoanything.com already.

http://www.autoanything.com/performance-chips/61A2342A0A0.aspx

I have ordered a lot from them and they have great customer service. Do you have the superchips module? Is that something that stays connected or do you just use it to reprogram the computer? If so, could I use it on multiple vehicles? I'd like to take care of my '92 Cherokee as well and could justify spending the $300 if I could use it on both.

·
American Rebel.
13,453 Posts
No it programs the computer then you unhook it. It also serves as a diagnosis module and it tracks performance and data from the motor as well. It cannot be used for multiple vechicles unless you want to try and call them and see what they can do.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
2000 Dakota Sport CC with a stock v6 3.9 and just a high flow cat and flowmaster 40 series muffler and 125k on the clock my truck at the last fill up I checked my MPG and was at 17.7mpg mostly city. I actually got WORSE mpg with an after market K&N intake then with the stock air hat and box.

2003 Dakota Sport RC with a stock v8 4.7 with a full exhaust, super chips on economy, and stock gears got 18.1mpg. Added 3.92 gears and now the MPG is roughly 16.4. This truck is still relatively new with just 50k on the clock.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
mines in the sig...mix of in town/freeway driving.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Just got my )01' Durango 4.7 liter/V-8 out of the shop and did a MPG run here's what my overhead computer told me! I got shockingly excellent mileage after they cleaned my throttle body.......27.4 MPG/average. No tune-up was done just throttle body cleaning.

96K service
01' Durango SLT
4.7 liter/V-8
used: Pennzoil "Platinum" synthetic 5W-30
cleaned the throttle body
tires rotated and inflated to 36 front and 43 rear.
differential fluid changed

I admit I was shoockingly surprised as the numbers continued to increase looking at the overhead computer. Driving at 60-65 MPH most of the time. Now I have a pesky engine check light indicating a P0302 that's haunted me for about 4 years I still got these figures.

rimfire,22

·
Registered
370 Posts
mines in my sig, mostly city driving with the a/c on. i also am not the nicest to the gas peddle but over the last few weeks it cooled down and i turned the a/c off and have been getting over 14mpg

·
Registered
286 Posts
last 2 filled up i been getting 16-17.5 mpg,Was getting around 14.4 before i switch to fully synthetic diff oil in the rear.Few days ago i switch out the front.Seem's like the gas mileage pick up more!But i was playing around in 4wd after the new cv axle an the intermediate shaft.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Last time I filled up I filled up I got like 12mpg. But I pulled a heavy enclosed trailer maybe 50 miles and I also did some off-roading. I wanna get a overhead computer so I know exactly.

·
lovin my dak
3,427 Posts
Last time I filled up I filled up I got like 12mpg. But I pulled a heavy enclosed trailer maybe 50 miles and I also did some off-roading. I wanna get a overhead computer so I know exactly.
yank one from a yard and get a harness from zac, works good!

·
American Rebel.
13,453 Posts
yea fuck all that noise haha. I get 20 city. :p suck it troy

·
American Rebel.
13,453 Posts
mention I have a 4.7 quad cab with an extra 400 pounds in it everyday. With out my 180 pound self :D

·
American Rebel.
13,453 Posts
nah nah

141 - 160 of 186 Posts