Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first durango and I am pretty happy with it. I was wondering how the speakers sound since it was supposed to be fully loaded. Well I started driving around with the stereo all the way up and the bass and all that in the middle and I heard a wierd noise. The same thing happned to my friend who also has a 1999 dodge but he has a dakota r/t. I looked into it and as far as I know I so have the Infinity speakers because the small tweeters in the front doors and the head unit both say infinity so I thought they all would be. Well when I got to looking around I found out that the door speakers are card board and that could very well be what I heard. So I think that the speaker is blown. Could they be card board and if so then what in my car are infinity? Now I have heard that the speakers in durangos have built in aplifiers or something like that. If thats so how would I put speakers for the car and would I have to do a lot of changing. Also What size are all of the speakers in the 1999 Dodge Durango SLT. Any help would be great. Thank you

Chad Stradling

·
Dakota for Life!
2,489 Posts
When I bought my 99 cc new, I had them install what I thought was the top of the line Infinity system. Six speakers, eq, all the bells and whistles. Only to find out later that the speakers would fart (a term of expression) when the bass hit hard. It's my understanding that the speaker material is paper, not cardboard. Anyway, to solve the problem, I bought an MTX amp and a thunderform subwoofer (2 10's) and that fixed everything.

Bottom line is don't depend on the factory speakers to win you a db contest. Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont want subs int his car I had them in the last one but I want to get the top of the line speakers so i need to learn more abotu what type it takes.

T

·
0 Posts
The factory Infinity system sucks. I had it in my Durango when i got it and they blew. I now have aftermarket speakers in my D. What year is your D most of them take 6 1/2 inch speakers. My advice to you is to put in some good aftermarket speakers.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Alpine Type R!!!!

Recently I just swapped out my old system for an alpine system. IT was a bit pricey. I say about 180 for the front component(w/tweaters) and 130 for the back coaxial(without tweeter) And 300 for the head unit. That's basically all you will need. They sound clean and hit nice. As for the size. I'm pretty sure it's 6 3/4. If you want to make sure look it up online man. Go to the dodge site and check the specs of your model. Just go on ebay man and compare different brands. Even if you don't want to buy online it's still good to shop around and know what other options are out there. Good Luck.. I wouldn't recomend buying from cruthfield unless you have to. They're usually the most expensive.

B

·
0 Posts
Blown Speakers

I have a 98 Dakota Club Cab and I had to replace all of the old speakers with new Infinity's because i blew the old ones. The new ones were a good investment at a hundred dollars a pair. I went a little farther and installed two JL 10's in the rear under the seat. The whole package sounds amazing now compared to the old speakers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How did you put the subs under the seats i would love to do something like that maybe even under the fron passenger seat I just dont now how

·
Registered
667 Posts
cstradling24 said:
How did you put the subs under the seats i would love to do something like that maybe even under the fron passenger seat I just dont now how

I wouldnt even think about doin anything under the front seats, assuming the seats are just like in my rango. There won't be any room at all whatsoever. I'm thinkin that clubcabs have more room under the back seats though, most do. But I'd abandon the idea on the front seats.

·
Registered
449 Posts
My subs rest on my rear back seat and have removable wires so I can take it out if Need be.

Heres where I put my amp...It fits perfectly under my passanger seat... it doesn't prevent any adjustments

My friend and I were thinking of a cool custom design that would fit one 10" sub in each rear panel... its hard to desribe though

1 - 11 of 11 Posts