Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up an 03 Dakota with 83K, just wondering how much life to expect out of it. It was an old mans truck before so Im sure its not been beat on but Im not sure the history either. These go past 150K much?

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
Mine's at about 158K, and still going strong.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Mine is pushing 175k but puffs a little oil smoke every now and then. It's done this ever since I bought it a year ago but has been considerably less since I've kept up with regular maintenance.

·
Banned
2,773 Posts
160k on mine. Doesn't burn oil. Runs great.

·
Premium Member
9,487 Posts
The interval on the timing chain is something like 250,000 miles. This engine is built to last, as long as you maintain it. And contrary to what some people say, it is NOT a sludge engine. It gets that rap from the foamy 'snot' that accumulates in the oil filler neck and cap. This is simply due to the way the PCV system is designed and the fact that the filler neck is plastic.

That said, mine just rolled 120,000.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good stuff to hear...now what about the auto transmissions??

·
1700 + 1/4 mile passes
27,274 Posts
so with my truck almost 10 years old now and only having 50,000 miles. I'm good for the next 30 years or so on it :jester:

The engines and trans all depend on how you take care of it. my stock trans only lasted 43,000 miles. but it also had 1006 1/4 mile passes on it (just started slipping, not blew up). I expected it to go long before it did

·
I drive with two feet
1,619 Posts
I have 205,000 on my Durango. Original engine and tranny. I change the oil regularly. It loses/burns about a quart in 3000 miles. I think it's leaky valve seals because it puffs blue smoke at startup. I have flushed (and changed the filters) the tranny twice. Still runs strong.

My Dakota has 136,000 on it. I have redone the heads due to a tulipped intake valve, and just replaced the exhaust/cats. Doesn't eat any oil. Runs real strong.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I bought an 01 last year that was well maintaned with 169000. It looks and runs like new. The only thing I've done to the engine is change the tps and regular oil changes. I've been told the 4.7 has the best transmission.

·
Dak-Dur 11th Most Wanted
12,282 Posts
Dakota: 166,5xx and doesn't burn any oil.

Durango: 126xxx and burns about a quart every 3000.

No major problems with the engines themselves.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Keep your cooling system well maintained. Too many threads here with cooling issues.

·
Chevy SUCKS!!!!!!!
1,685 Posts
140k on mine, no oil burning or loss between changes, and no issues of any kind up to this point. Transmission has been great as well.

·
GO FLYERS!!!
170 Posts
I have 162k on mine now and still running great. Put about 70k on her now. Regular synthetic oil changes every 5k or so. Other than the centerforce throw out bearing noise she runs like a champ, hope to get 200k plus outta this baby if my MTR's last that long.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
2001 with 284K. It's original internally except for HO cams. 3 alternators, one water pump and a radiator. I've used Mobil1 5w30 syn and NAPA Gold 1085 since about 30K. It uses about 1/8 quart every 5K. Maintenance and one driver is everything. Looking forward to a Keisler 6-speed someday. :woot:

·
Registered
351 Posts
178k on mine
doesnt burn oil
she feels like shes lost some power in the time ive owned it
and 1st slips a little
but other than that it's been good to me and i expect to get atleast 225k
and the last 46k have been hard miles...
shes also all original other a water pump.. hell i just had to change the ORIGINAL battery last month

·
Registered
102 Posts
143k on my 2004 Dakota, and it was supercharged at the 120k mark. Doesnt burn any oil or slip the tranny any bit. Runs like a top! (knock on wood)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts