Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered Loser
2,342 Posts
Think of it as an 8 track tape in a world of MP3 players.

It once had it's place on the mod list, but now it's better used as a paper weight, along side of the t/b spacer and IAT adjuster.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts

It once had it's place on the mod list, but now it's better used as a paper weight, along side of the t/b spacer and IAT adjuster.
Agreed. Dont waste your time with it. I had one for my truck that I bought off of ebay and I really couldnt tell any difference at all with it on or off. I have heard of people piggybacking a mopar performance PCM at the track but after a few runs its useless.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts

They're good to buy on here for 15.00 and sell on EBAY for 100.00.

:mullet:

·
Registered Loser
2,342 Posts
I have heard of people piggybacking a mopar performance PCM at the track but after a few runs its useless.
This is where I have to disagree with you and the others that have made similar comments. The PCM does not override the JET settings. Whatever little performance the JET provides, stays there until you remove it.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I figured they just tweaked the O2 sensor output so the PCM thinks its running a little richer than it is, and compensate by leaning it out a bit more. It wouldn't know any better, so it couldn't override the jet. Unless it got bad enough to throw a code and pull it out of closed loop, because it would then ignore the O2 output.

That and/or messing with the timing somehow. Which, if there is a knock sensor, then the PCM would kick the timing back down if it did see any knock anyway.

·
Registered Loser
2,342 Posts
I agree with you. To me the stupid thing made no difference. :eek:nethumb:
It was my first mod. There just wasn't much available for the R/T in early '98. Things didn't start to happen for the R/T until well into '99 (headers, intake, t/b's, etc). The JET II with a 180 thermostat took about 2 tenths off of my e.t., so while it's not great, it's not worthless either (at least on my '98).
It's not worth $100 though.

·
Blown and Squirted
3,407 Posts
This is where I have to disagree with you and the others that have made similar comments. The PCM does not override the JET settings. Whatever little performance the JET provides, stays there until you remove it.
Agreed. The PCM learning around a timing increase is baloney and people should stop spreading that misinformation.

·
Registered
124 Posts
So rather than make a be thread for the same subject I'll just keep it all in this thread.

So when I got my truck it already had a Jet chip and TB spacer, I was curious one wtf does that little plug really even achieve for you (which from the sounds isn't much). And two, I assume it's a Stage 1 since everything else in the truck appears stock, but I'd hate to assume and leave it on there if in fact its more detrimental.

And since Jet had a brain filled master plan of putting the part number on a little sticker (that is sure to be exposed to the elements), instead of doing what any one with half a brain would do and engrave it into the casing I don't know how to tell. So, help would be had.

Next, I put 265/75-16 on, which are larger than stock so I'd like to adjust for that, is the super chips any good? I've seen like three different kinds for the 4.7, one that sounds to just adjust for tire/ wheel differences. And another two, one that has the same tire adjustments as well as a three mode pre-setting, and a third that seems like it does the exact same thing as the second, with a little more pizzaz.

·
VikingVish
254 Posts
Heard great things from a lot of people with the SCT's (for both performance as well as speedo adjustments for your change in diameter), better things with b&g chrysler flashing though (at least in performance).

Btw, I'm a tad north of you (south everett). :) Many a Dakota people around here lately.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yeah, what's the B&G flashing?

I like the option of doing minor tuning, and having preset tunes for quick adjustments.
And with the Superchips, is it something you plug in, make the adjustments, and then put away?

If that's the case I wonder if I could just use someone locals to make the tire adjustments, until I have the caish to drop on a $400 tuner.

And hey! Maybe I'll see you around sometime.

·
Armed and Dangerous
2,475 Posts
Yeah, what's the B&G flashing?

I like the option of doing minor tuning, and having preset tunes for quick adjustments.
And with the Superchips, is it something you plug in, make the adjustments, and then put away?

If that's the case I wonder if I could just use someone locals to make the tire adjustments, until I have the caish to drop on a $400 tuner.

And hey! Maybe I'll see you around sometime.
Yea, plug it in do what you have to do and put it away. They can only be used on one vehicle at a time, so no adjustments on different vehicles in the meantime. I have SCT but same thing applies.

·
VikingVish
254 Posts
BG Chrysler is in Michigan. That's the only issue, is the wait time to drive again.

Ah, pretty sure if you just need the computer adjusted real quick for a difference in tire size, is just to pop into the dealer.

Back atcha. =]

·
---Under Construction---
2,094 Posts
Get SCT, can tune send you a tune via email when you send them your mods. Or you can go to a dyno and really get it tuned right.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.