Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best year R/T to buy in terms of bang for the buck in modifications?
I'm in the market for another R/T and have found a few I like, but want to get something similiar to the 99 I used to have.
Pros and cons?
Thanks in advance.
Owen

·
Banned
7,509 Posts
addicted2blue00 said:
03 or 04, they're all the same in one of those yrs there was no balljoint problem

03 was the last year for the R/T. also some of the 03 was hit with the balljoint. just depend on what month your dak was made.

·
Registered
124 Posts
i'd go with an 03 just b/c its the last year they made them, and you might, if you lucky find and R/T with the stampede kit :bow:

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
The biggest differences are the interior(dash/seats) 98-99 are the same,2000-03 the same, it depends on what you like. I prefer the 98-99. The 2000's and newer also have more exhaust restrictions with pre cats on the down pipes. I'm sure there are other differences that I am not aware of.

Bill

18,185 Posts
Not quite right....the dash/interior are the same until 2000. They started with the less rounded dash in 2001. And I prefere the rounded dash so my vote is for a 99/2000.
But if you don't mind the new dash definately get a 2003!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Your right, I don't know why I thought the interior changed for 2000 models. :sorry:

·
I'm Retired!
817 Posts
Well you got a couple ways of looking at it. Like they've said, '98-'00 Are practically the same. I believe the difference between the 98 and 99 models is the headlight switch/foglight switch. I've had both, I prefer the 99 model, its a little more "modern" than the "pull out switch." Difference between the 99 and 00 models are the seats - I believe - They're slightly different in shape. Also the A-Pillar was changed with the handle on it. 01-03 are all the same to my knowledge, I don't know the little things they changed here and there. Again, I prefer my '99, I shopped for an R/T for a long ass time before I got mine, but when I got it I knew what I wanted.

Two other things to consider:

1)The 98 model R/T is rare as hell to find. It was the first year and I believe they only produced like a 1000 models of the R/T. '99 + they were mass produced, not really a rarity.

2)The '03 model was the only R/T model to come with the Stampede kit on it. Although you can buy the stampede for an obscene amount of money for any year dakota. Basically, do some research and homework. See which interior you like better, etc etc.

One other thing, don't worry about the ball joints...I've multiple Dakotas, Never had any balljoint problems. Just don't drive it crazy and be generous on pot holes etc. Happy Hunting! :biggthump

·
Registered
170 Posts
"Well you got a couple ways of looking at it. Like they've said, '98-'00 Are practically the same. I believe the difference between the 98 and 99 models is the headlight switch/foglight switch."

1998s have green LCD odometer, the 1999s have green LED odometer.
No overhead console for 1998s, with RARE exceptions I've seen 1998s with 1999 factory installed overhead consoles.

1998s have a larger diameter (old mopar look) brake boosters--- the 1999s and up have the thicker, smaller diameter brake boosters.
3 Different generations of brake pads= 1998, 1999, 2002-2002

"I've had both, I prefer the 99 model, its a little more "modern" than the "pull out switch.""

Fog lamp are a "pull out style" on the 1999, incorporated into the headlight switch vs. extra 'button' on 1998.

"Difference between the 99 and 00 models are the seats - I believe - They're slightly different in shape. Also the A-Pillar was changed with the handle on it."

Late 99s got 1 handle on the passenger side, 2000s got handles on both sides (pillar handles).

"01-03 are all the same to my knowledge, I don't know the little things they changed here and there. Again, I prefer my '99, I shopped for an R/T for a long ass time before I got mine, but when I got it I knew what I wanted.

Two other things to consider:

1)The 98 model R/T is rare as hell to find. It was the first year and I believe they only produced like a 1000 models of the R/T. '99 + they were mass produced, not really a rarity.

2)The '03 model was the only R/T model to come with the Stampede kit on it. Although you can buy the stampede for an obscene amount of money for any year dakota. Basically, do some research and homework. See which interior you like better, etc etc.

One other thing, don't worry about the ball joints...I've multiple Dakotas, Never had any balljoint problems. Just don't drive it crazy and be generous on pot holes etc. Happy Hunting!"

1998-1999 use a dual inlet cat, with 3 O2 sensors (one in each down pipe, 1 after the cat).... 2000s use a Y pipe, 2 O2 sensors (one in the Y, 1 after the cat)... 2001-2003 use precats (3 cats total), 4 O2 sensors... 2 upstream, 1 before the cat, 1 after the cat.

I prefer the 2000 as the best year--- no precat issues, I prefer that interior vs. the 2001+ style---

2000-2003 use a completely different radiator/fan/condensor setup---

Etc. ...

Etc...

Etc..

Sam
www.socaldakota.com
619-274-1292

1998 Club Cab RT Black (Wife's ride)
1999 Club Cab RT Solar Yellow (Wife's former ride)
1999 Regular Cab RT Black (My former ride)
2000 Regular Cab RT Bright White (My Ride)

·
7,610 Posts
i agree with sam, my bad i couldnt remember what yr was the last one made, also ive had BJ problem and ive always tried to dodge the potholes, also theres a thread with pics of everyones ride inside and out, so ya can see what all we're talking about.

·
Registered
188 Posts
99 IB RC said:
What is the best year R/T to buy in terms of bang for the buck in modifications?
I'm in the market for another R/T and have found a few I like, but want to get something similiar to the 99 I used to have.
Pros and cons?
Thanks in advance.
Owen
I'll let my 03 BW RC go for 16K. !LOL! You should be able to find what your looking for on Ebay.
Kevin

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
If money is not an issue find the nicest '98 you can find RC preferred.the rarer the better.I too agree with alot of people that the dash in the 98-00 is so much nicer than the newer ones.Good luck in your quest.

·
Yes it's a lowered 4X4
2,307 Posts
also in the later years DC did some cut backs.

The spare tire in 98-00 was an R/T rim, 01-03 it was a black steel rim.
The under hood light was deleted in 01 or 02
Also the tint banner on the windshield was also gone in 01
Plus some other little things.
In 98-00 it was only a single cat vs 3 cats in 01-03

My choice would be a 98-00 R/T

·
Now Nitrous Injected!!!
3,104 Posts
I would go 99 model. That way you can get a Solar Yellow one :mullet: . LOL

·
Registered
83 Posts
1998 Dodge Dakota R/T Production Numbers
Color................Regular Cab....................Club Cab
Intense Blue...........32................................135
Black....................74.................................379
Deep Amethyst.......52.................................254
Flame Red..............93 .................................415
Total ................251..............................1,183

2000 Dodge Dakota R/T Production Numbers
Color ..............Regular ................CabClub Cab
Amber Fire .........46 .......................165
Intense Blue .......137 ......................530
Black .................321 .....................1164
Bright White .......117 ......................553
Flame Red ..........220 ......................800
Solar Yellow........???..........................????
Total.................841.........................3212

·
That Guy
23,438 Posts
I once found a 1998 Intense Blue R/T Regular Cab with only 20,000 miles on it and in perfect shape for $15,500. I wanted it so bad but at the time I didnt have the $$$ to get it.

·
'10 Camaro RS/SS
3,894 Posts
blue2000sport said:
I once found a 1998 Intense Blue R/T Regular Cab with only 20,000 miles on it and in perfect shape for $15,500. I wanted it so bad but at the time I didnt have the $$$ to get it.
That's a borderline museum piece right there! :drool: :biggthump

·
July Truck of the Month
8,227 Posts
I'll be selling my 99 Solar Yellow RC R/T, anyone interested? :huh:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts