Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Sean Muthafuckin' Smith
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im considering of getting my truck sprayed by a cheapo place nearby.. now th shop is part of th maaco corporation but is privately owned and also does restoration work on older cars. since its part of th maaco chain, what should i be on th look out for when it comes to signs of quality? th guy claims he does quality work even tho maaco isnt known for quality. i got a glimpse of th shop but didnt get to look at anything up close th last time i was in there. also, say i got it painted there and i find runs or streaks or other misc flaws (common with maaco paint jobs), are they obligated to correct those or do i have fork out more dough? im just looking for a basic spray, no door jambs or bed removal kind of stuff...

th only reason im considering of going there is because of the pricing. my trucks roof is peeling terribly in a few spots, tonneau is fucked up on th edges and th bed rails are a little peely and i have no where close enough the cash flow needed for paint done by someone else..

thanks!

·
Sean Muthafuckin' Smith
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
and dont give me no shit for choosing maaco. im in college workin only 3-4 days a week at slightly above minimum wage so dont go breaking my balls, its my only option when it comes to paint since i havent th slightest clue where to start on my own let alone a garage to do it in

·
10 Second Club
4,009 Posts
I had my old Amber trucks cover, tailgate and roll pan painted by them. As long as you pay for their "good" paint they will do a good job. Don't go for their single stage paint cause it will fade fast. You have to ask for their signature series paint or you won't be happy.

·
Sean Muthafuckin' Smith
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
very nice.. they have a deal on th presidential set up for like $250 right now which is pretty appealing to me lol

·
10 Second Club
4,009 Posts
very nice.. they have a deal on th presidential set up for like $250 right now which is pretty appealing to me lol
Cheap paint, you wont like it in about 2 years. I paid 400 for the bed cover, and roll pan. For some reason they painted the tail gate. They also installed the roll bar, although they did a shitty job.

·
Sean Muthafuckin' Smith
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheap paint, you wont like it in about 2 years. I paid 400 for the bed cover, and roll pan. For some reason they painted the tail gate. They also installed the roll bar, although they did a shitty job.
well normally its like $500 but its on sale right now.. maybe theyll cut me a deal on the next one up haha.. probly oversprayed th tailgate lol

·
10 Second Club
4,009 Posts
well normally its like $500 but its on sale right now.. maybe theyll cut me a deal on the next one up haha.. probly oversprayed th tailgate lol
There stuff is always "on sale" haha. All the parts were off so they could not of oversprayed the tailgate. I had talked to them about it and I think they said fuck it we will just do it.

·
Sean Muthafuckin' Smith
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There stuff is always "on sale" haha. All the parts were off so they could not of oversprayed the tailgate. I had talked to them about it and I think they said fuck it we will just do it.
true true.. havent seen many sales recently tho, there stuff is pretty cheap already...hmm maybe, o well, as long as they didnt charge u extra then u came out on top!

·
Sean Muthafuckin' Smith
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
eh well my trucks got a single stage paint on it now, according to the vehicles history its on its second paint job.. and if its back to where it is now in 2 years, hopefully i can get a better paint job then or hell, just repeat lol..

quick question on the single stage stuff, is the clear mixed in with the color or is applied as a wet coat?

·
Blown and Squirted
3,407 Posts
Maaco painted mine, same deal the shop also did restorations and non "maaco" work. I had them use dupont paint on mine.

If you have paint rot, absolutely insist that it is taken to bare metal, and drop by to make sure that it is. I still have three panels they need to do over, but way back when I needed the truck to get to school so I had to take it from them.

·
Sean Muthafuckin' Smith
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maaco painted mine, same deal the shop also did restorations and non "maaco" work. I had them use dupont paint on mine.

If you have paint rot, absolutely insist that it is taken to bare metal, and drop by to make sure that it is. I still have three panels they need to do over, but way back when I needed the truck to get to school so I had to take it from them.
o really? how was the end result? yea on my roof and a few small spots on th bed rails the paint is chipping/flaking away, same with the edges of my tonneau.. shit i didnt even think about what paint id want em to use either..

·
Blown and Squirted
3,407 Posts
It looks just as good as factory (or better) in the areas that weren't rotted or prepped properly. The few areas where they should have leaned on the DA a bit harder will have to re-sprayed down the road, but only maybe two people have noticed them besides me.

It's going to become a toy soon, and a few years down the road I'll get those panels re-done.

The shop owed my dad some favors for sending him a lot of work, so I paid less than a grand. I did all the body work/mods and stripped the truck down for the. For the price I really can't complain. I think the invoice total was 2400ish.

If you have a steel roll pan get it welded in, or you'll regret it later.

only picture I have hosted that shows it decently close:

·
Sean Muthafuckin' Smith
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
looks good man! ive had the same maaco im considering right now quote me for repairs after i had been rear-ended (tailgate needed repairs, tail lights needed to be replaces, roll pan had to be replaced, other misc dents out back) and the back end resprayed for a few dollars just over $1k. my new roll pan is welded in so im good on that.. i might remove my tailgate if i go thru with th paint since it already has fresh paint on it, only a few months old and still looks new and i dont need them to waste paint and time and my money on that lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts