Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck is actually in great shape (I'll get some pictures up later, I'm reading through the forums here during my late-night Corporate Finance class as always) but I can't stand my "primer gray" looking back bumper. The bottom half of it is color-matched Flame Red and would like to keep that. I want something I can do in an afternoon-- take the bumper off, and spray it down. It has a few little spots starting to rust, but they are very minuscule. I can't decide which will work better/easier, the Rustoleum truck bed liner, or to do the Plastidip. I lean towards the dip because of how easily I can get rid of it if I want. I would like to "rust-proof" the interior of the bumper if I happen to take it off. I'm looking for easy, one-day ideas since it is my daily driver... Thanks!

(btw, this is probably something I'd do on my spring break in a few weeks, so don't expect immediate pictures!)

·
Registered
451 Posts
I took mine off, took the plastic off, wire wheeled/sand blasted it and bedlined it in a day. But mine was badly rusted to start with, so it was kind of just to hold it until I can make a new bumper.

If yours isn't too rusty, I'd take it off, wire wheel any rust use your choice of rust proofing product and then paint it. I think they make primer that is "rust proof".

·
American Rebel.
13,453 Posts
rust proof primer is rustoleum.

This is what im doing to mine. Smoothing it all out without the plastic inserts. I had the grey shit, and then I paint matched

·
Registered
451 Posts
rust proof primer is rustoleum.

This is what im doing to mine. Smoothing it all out without the plastic inserts. I had the grey shit, and then I paint matched
Couldn't think of Rustoleum for some reason lol... Anyway, I was going to do what you're doing until I took the plastic pieces off to find they were covering huge holes. So I just did the best I could, bedlined the whole thing and put the plastic pieces back on (painted black).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damn you Big_Texxan-- It's nice and sunny there. I just got home from running a snow plow around my town the past 9 hours...

I like the idea of color matching, but the bottom half is already. I thought about taking the grey and making it black to match the front top part of the bumper... That way, they (front and back) would both have color-matched on the bottom, and black on the top. I would love to do chrome, but to start doing chrome on my truck would be way, WAY out of my price range. If I stick to black, I can make all of my accents black that I put on (although I don't plan on doing too much).

·
American Rebel.
13,453 Posts
I like chrome, and hahaahahahah I know. But georgia weather absolutely is abnormal. I have 2 weeks to get my truck ready for paint, on top of school and work. I had the chrome, but then after the years of modding it just didnt fit, so everything I have on the truck is paint matched. Might even do black wheels, just no sure on it. But if you want to try black, get some plastidip, if you dont like the color, peel it off, if you like it, great, peel it off and fully paint it.

·
American Rebel.
13,453 Posts
hell yea it is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts