Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Professional Slacker
559 Posts
Looks like the pressure was too much. I'm going to assume it's a wet nitrous kit also which if it didn't burn out or get purged right would probably be enough to stall a motor and re ignition would cause a much higher detention, plus it looked like the NO2 was still jetting at high pressure. You can see something like this if you put lighter gas in your cupped hand and light it or something.

·
Professional Slacker
559 Posts
It appears he may have gotten burned. It did say the windshield broke and there isn't much to the firewalls/dashes to those cars(from what I've seen) it seems possible that he got licked by some flames coming in from the damage to the windshield or dash due to the explosion.

Now for those who don't understand the kill switch on the back of the vehicle, do ya understand? :eek:uttahere :brick:

·
Banned
1,029 Posts
Looks like the pressure was too much. I'm going to assume it's a wet nitrous kit also which if it didn't burn out or get purged right would probably be enough to stall a motor and re ignition would cause a much higher detention, plus it looked like the NO2 was still jetting at high pressure. You can see something like this if you put lighter gas in your cupped hand and light it or something.
Maybe you should call them and tell them what they did wrong.

·
Professional Slacker
559 Posts
Maybe you should call them and tell them what they did wrong.
I don't know much about power adders even more specifically NO2. I could be wrong, but if it's a NO2 system like I think it is, it's a "wet" system. Which has extra fuel injectors so when the system triggers it also injects fuel? If so if the pressure was to high and it shot to much or triggered when he revved then the extra might have caused the motor to stall? The system continued to inject and maybe he tried to crank it again which could explain the explosion. Read about the oil refinery or whatever in the late 80's - mid 90's that blew up because the starting chambers for the furnace wasn't purged and reset and it was way in excess and blew up.

As I said, I could be wrong but that was how I saw it.

·
Blown and Squirted
3,407 Posts
I don't know much about power adders even more specifically NO2. I could be wrong, but if it's a NO2 system like I think it is, it's a "wet" system. Which has extra fuel injectors so when the system triggers it also injects fuel? If so if the pressure was to high and it shot to much or triggered when he revved then the extra might have caused the motor to stall? The system continued to inject and maybe he tried to crank it again which could explain the explosion. Read about the oil refinery or whatever in the late 80's - mid 90's that blew up because the starting chambers for the furnace wasn't purged and reset and it was way in excess and blew up.

As I said, I could be wrong but that was how I saw it.

Yeh I don't think there are any pro-mod cars running dry kits. :funny:

Best part is the guy from Wilson manifold standing around afterwards, guess the burst panels didn't do shit.

If I had to take a wild ass guess about a situation I was not present at and knew very little about, I'd say the crewman screwed something up while he was fumbling with the bottle valve and possibly some switches? But I probably shouldn't speculate.

·
6.9 6 speed
5,421 Posts
If only more people thought like you. :D

Not aimed at you Chris, but everyone else, stop saying NOS, it's nitrous, NOS is a brand. And it's N2O, NO2 is toxic, while N2O makes you feel good and go fast. :eek:nethumb:
I was thinking the same thing but convinced myself that he was joking lol

·
Turbo Dakota Junkie
1,912 Posts
You can plainly see the plume of fuel and nitrous coming from the front of the scoop before the explosion. One of the systems must have triggered. If fuel and nitrous were spraying and building up - it was just waiting for a source of ignition.... that it found. I hate when that happens.

·
Banned
1,029 Posts
If only more people thought like you. :D

Not aimed at you Chris, but everyone else, stop saying NOS, it's nitrous, NOS is a brand. And it's N2O, NO2 is toxic, while N2O makes you feel good and go fast. :eek:nethumb:
Thank you. That drives me up a fucking wall too!

·
Banned
1,029 Posts
You can plainly see the plume of fuel and nitrous coming from the front of the scoop before the explosion. One of the systems must have triggered. If fuel and nitrous were spraying and building up - it was just waiting for a source of ignition.... that it found. I hate when that happens.
Nitrous backfires are just fucking scary. I saw one in the staging lanes earlier this year. Not a bad one, but it still surprised the shit out of me.

I've been lucky enough to not have one yet.

·
6.9 6 speed
5,421 Posts
Nitrous backfires are just fucking scary. I saw one in the staging lanes earlier this year. Not a bad one, but it still surprised the shit out of me.

I've been lucky enough to not have one yet (knock on wood).
fixed

·
Turbo Dakota Junkie
1,912 Posts
I would look forward to a new safety rule that anyone approaching a car on the starting line will require an SFI fire jacket just like the drivers have. Just a matter of time.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts