Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Gas Guzlin and Tire smoke
716 Posts
In my Durango with 106000 on it I use Mobil one Synthetic and I love it....Why dont u want Synthetic? .... Dont listen to that bullsgit bout Synthetic making ur engine leak because I Switched to syntheric at about 80000 miles on it

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I'm running royal purple.... :biggthump 5 quarts

·
Registered
213 Posts
(Amsoil) Synthetic vs. Non-Synthetic & The Role Of Motor Oil

When a discussion of motor oil (or lubricants) begins, ... there is always a lot of debate regarding Brand "X" vs. Brand "Y", Synthetic vs. Non-Synthetic, Etc., and I am not here to debate those issues.

What is important ... is that automobile owners understand:

(1) THE ROLE OF MOTOR OIL Lubrication and Cooling, and

(2) CONVENTIONAL (non-synthetic) LUBRICANTS vs. SYNTHETIC LUBRICANTS .

You can click the above links or visit the AMSOIL FORUM for more information.

·
Registered
421 Posts
quaker state has synthetic oil too

bonicjar said:
I just started using synthetic oil and I have 93K on my D. So far I like it. I used the Quaker State but I think I'm gonna switch over to Mobile 1.

bonicjar,

You know if your using Quaker States own snythetic oil then I'd think your fine too. Just because most people use Mobil 1 or somthing other doesn't mean the Quaker States is inferior to the rest. My opinion only BUT as long as it's synthetic you should get all the same benifits. Heck if it's cheaper then go for it.

rimfire,22 :clap2:

·
Registered
213 Posts
(Amsoil) Synthetic vs. Non-Synthetic & The Role Of Motor Oil

GTMike,

Okay ... you opened the door, so I will step through.

(SPECIAL NOTE: I post the following without stating anything negative about any website or any competitors oil).

www.bobistheoilguy.com, a.k.a. BITOG, was owned by a guy named BOB (but no more, keep reading, he was forced to sell it ... by the oil company he represents ... Schaeffer's).

WITH RESPECT TO YOU ... That is the one hundredth time somebody has posted that the information on BITOG offers "unbiased information".

Unbiased Information? Sorry ... but if I have yet to see an unbiased opinion ANYWHERE in print ... be it in Books, Newspapers, Magazines, Internet, Etc. What really do you mean by "unbiased information"?

** Unbiased (definition) = "without bias or prejudice; impartial", "characterized by a lack of partiality"

BITOG Website ? ... I have been visiting it since it started ... and almost EVERYONE on it has a "biased" opinion.

Heh heh! That is why they argue so much. If there was a "clear cut" answer ... there would be nothing to talk about.

For goodness sake ... even conclusions offered from a scientific study are biased ... and the conversations on BITOG are certainly NOT based on scientific study. Even the Oil Analysis information ... the closest thing to a scientific study ... MUST be interpreted ... the results are NOT clear cut (black and white).

The BITOG website ( though I am not knocking it because some of the regulars are friends of mine ) is mostly a bunch of really good mechanics and auto shop owners offering their opinions based upon their own opinions ( seat of the pants and shade tree mechanics ). Sure, there are the occassional tribologists, chemists, and oil analysis professionals that visit and post ... but if anyone offers an opinion (information) ... it is "biased".

Even "BOB" who markets Schaeffer's, had to sell the website (at the insistance of Schaeffers Corporate) because of a conflict of interest between himself, the Amsoil Reps, The Royal Purple Reps, The Exxon/Mobil reps, Etc.

Sorry to burst your bubble ... but THE WORLD IS FULL OF BIASED OPINION and INFORMATION.

If there were such a thing as Unbiased Information, perhaps BOB would have been able to keep his site.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Don't you have a 4-ball wear test to demonstrate somewhere? :eek:wned:

:sorry: Just kidding...I've run Amsoil in many engines and IMHO it outperformed M1 by leaps and bounds, but since I've discovered Schaeffer's (not thru BITOG, but thru my local speed shop/machinist) I've been very pleased.

All in good clean fun...Carry on. :banana2:

·
Registered
421 Posts
how good does it have to be?

Hi all,

Hate to be a pain BUT how good does it have to be? Synthetic oil is all the same isn't it? All this stuff about what people use. I like Mobil 1 BUT is there a better synthetic oil out there? Mobil 1 is expensive enough for my pocket book. I'm scraping pennies for this stuff already.

rimfire,22 :wave:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Mopar Mike,

Ya made my day! :jester: I am not one of "those" 4-Ball Wear Test Amsoil Dealers.
Just check my AMSOIL FORUM on this website ... no mention of "Balls" anywhere! :jester:

rimfire said:
Hi all,
Hate to be a pain BUT how good does it have to be? Synthetic oil is all the same isn't it?
rimfire,22 :wave:
rimfire 22,

SYNTHETIC LUBRICANTS (including motor oils) are not all the same. Just like beer, wine and even burgers (and everything else available to consumers) ... they can be ranked by quality. Different base oils and additive packages. If you start with Superior BASE OILS and ADDITIVE PACKAGES ... The final product is a SUPERIOR OIL.

Since I mentioned beer ... :toast:

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm glad you can take a little good-natured ribbing. It's what makes internet forums fun.

Here's a little story about some absolute OWNAGE that I gave someone at a car show a few years ago. There was a guy selling some miracle snake oil treatment and had his little demo stand running. It was a pin and V-block test. Put regular oil of people's choice (he had several brands) in the test cup, and pulled down on the handle. The amp gauge pegged, and the motor locked up. Then he treated the oil with his special brew, and wouldn't ya know it...He could reef on that handle all day long and the amp gauge barely budged, and the motor never slowed down.

I asked if I could use a sample of my own "lubricant", and reluctantly he agreed, so I opened a fresh can of Coke, and put some in the test cup. The crowd was looking at me like I was nuts, till he started pulling on the lever, and the amps gauge never budged, just like it had done with his oil treatment. I took a big chug of my Coke, belched good and loud, and told him to have a nice day and walked away.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I am using SuperTech 10w-30 synthetic from Wally World at the moment. Good synth actually. And cheaper than the other brands. I will be switching to Pennzoil Platinum after my next 3 oil changes. I have stocked up on ST and my supply is about gone. I got a bunch of PP from WW and I stocked up on it. (Due to a sale). My filters are Amsoil SDF-15. I have around 18 of those.

·
Registered
421 Posts
thunderchild said:
I am using SuperTech 10w-30 synthetic from Wally World at the moment. Good synth actually. And cheaper than the other brands. I will be switching to Pennzoil Platinum after my next 3 oil changes. I have stocked up on ST and my supply is about gone. I got a bunch of PP from WW and I stocked up on it. (Due to a sale). My filters are Amsoil SDF-15. I have around 18 of those.

thunderchild,

Watch out for the Amsoil dealer. I don't know who markets Super Tech BUT too me as long as it's synthetic it should be fine. I'm a Mobil 1 man myself. It's expensive enough.

rimfire,22
:biggthump

·
Registered
893 Posts
Currently using Mobil 1 and I am very happy. I really don't think that it is necessary to use Amsoil Royal Purple, etc. for regular use trucks. Unless you are putting a hurt on the thing.

·
Registered
84 Posts
rimfire: I used M1 religiously with my first D and the beginning life of this one. I knew that there were good synth's out there without the M1 price. I found 2. I like the ST but I also really like the PP. I am switching to PP after I use up all of my ST. Amsoil filter I buy from the web.

·
Registered
421 Posts
how much is needed to have/use the best?

thunderchild said:
rimfire: I used M1 religiously with my first D and the beginning life of this one. I knew that there were good synth's out there without the M1 price. I found 2. I like the ST but I also really like the PP. I am switching to PP after I use up all of my ST. Amsoil filter I buy from the web.

thunderchild,

Personally I use Mobil 1 all the time in my Durango. However the wide availability of synthetic oil is emence! I figure it's all personal preference. I'll bet the Wally World synthetic is pretty good as is Amsoil, Royal Purple, Castrol, Quaker State etc. Generally synthetic oil is superior enough compared to any conventional oil.
Enough said.

rimfire,22

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.