Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered the documentation for the supercharger a few days ago, but I don't feel like waiting around for it to show up and then find out there's nothing in there about the plugs.

So what can I get? I bought a set of Bosch Platinum 2 plugs setup for the NA 360 Magnum, but would these be appropriate for a forced motor?

·
Home Owner....
2,565 Posts
they should work OK... most of the R/T guys with blowers use Autolite 3293`s(4293`s??) or NGK 6F11`s....

usually one step or so lower than the stock replacements to prevent ping/detonation.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, you can't detonate with a Kenne Bell because of the (Sl)Optimizer control box which pulls out timing before detonation occurs. I don't know if its actually a knock sensor or if its just vacuum dependant, but I'd rather not have it do that, so if there is a proper plug for this application that would be better.

B

·
0 Posts
I know how you feel, I purch a KB off of ebay used with no instructions now I would say I have a lot of experience with installing one. First the KB will Knock usualy in #7 and 8. The optimizer uses a knock sensor that retards timing under boost. I do not like the optimizer because when It needs to add fuel under boost it causes the trans to do some wild things (you will see the kb note describing this in the instructions) You really have to feather the gas on the highway or the thing kicks down. Go with 1 heat range colder plugs 2 ranges colder in #7 and 8. I would upgrade the 19lb injectors and install some fms 24lb injectors. I had mine on about 1 month and blew the head gaskets, Realy only the drivers side on #7 see the pics. If your truck has over 50k I would also replace the headgaskets with the felpro hd, do not use metal gaskets b/c the compressed thickness is less and that will raise your compression ratio. If anyhing you need to lower it. I ported and polished my heads also while I had them off. I am waiting on the fms injectors to be delivered and I will be back in buisness. I am having to drive a 4cyl nissan truck now in plase of my r/t and it sssssucks. . If you need email help email me at [email protected] and I will respond asap. You will get limited help from KB if you can get ahold of them :cussing: . Oh not to scare you in all this but you wil LOVE the supercharger, My first drive I was like this :drool:. All of the midrange power the r/t was lacking the s/c makes it come on like a rocket.Here are some pics.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Autolite 3923's will work fine. However, Denso IQ22 are the iridium equivilant. I have these installed in my Durango R/T, but, untill it's running I really can't give you a report.

From what I've heard, the needle point electrode combine with the iridium work to greatly decrease detonation (pinging). Additionally, these are the plugs (brand) that KB suggests. I went with the IQ22's because I was running 3923's prior. There were no problems when I had a KB, but since I'll be running much higher boost levels with the Paxton I figure any additional protection is worth the expense. And that's the drawback with the Denso's.... you'll pay close to $80+ for a full set.

Hope ths helps!!

B

·
0 Posts
I have only been to one show and their was a lot of stop and look ( for a long time). Polished is the way to go :biggthump . A lot of comments on the tires. Cant wait to get her runnin again. That Dgo is going to be sick with a 408 and a s/c (those are my future plans). Is it a 2wd, awd or 4x4??
My wife has a 98 Dgo with a 5.9 she wont let me drive it, She loves that thing more than me :woowoo: . But she thinks she can go in my r/t whenever she wants after I put on the s/c she drove it and smoked the tires when she took off and almost got a ticket.

B

·
0 Posts
DurangoDudeNJ-- OMG. Just spent a while looking at your cardomain page. We have the same taste and plans. You are alot further than me. I want the AAR Cuda hood, a 408, 20 inch r/t rims.
I love the cluster on your truck it is classy. I have some mercury montana needles to put on mine and I am going with the same guage face, Where did you get the r/t on the tach?? Cool D and Cool Hemi Ram :drool: :drool: . I would like to have the Green hemi ram but I do not think I could part with the r/t and she will not part with the D. I have never met you but you are a friend in my book because you love Mopars :biggthump . :banana2:

·
Registered
799 Posts
BLACK01RTCC said:
I love the cluster on your truck it is classy. I have some mercury montana needles to put on mine and I am going with the same guage face, Where did you get the r/t on the tach??

I have never met you but you are a friend in my book because you love Mopars :biggthump . :banana2:

Thanks man!! There's a TON of work that has gone into that project. A lot of it is my own creations combined with by-the-book bolt ons. The R/T on the tach is simply a vinyl decal. I took a factory R/T emblem, photocopied it and reduced it to the size I wanted. Then brough that to a local sign shop and they made it out of chrome vinyl. looks like it was actually printed on the face. It's too funny, I get more comments on that part of that guages than anything else. LOL. I know many folks who have followed suit, but the final result is still unlike anything else I've seen out there. It's amazing what you can do with a paint pen. ;)

Dude, we're all firends here!!! Glad to have ya in my book as well!! :biggthump

Are you able to get some time off to make it to Carlisle PA in July?? I'll be there with the D in tow.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BLACK01RTCC said:
The optimizer uses a knock sensor that retards timing under boost. I do not like the optimizer because when It needs to add fuel under boost it causes the trans to do some wild things (you will see the kb note describing this in the instructions) You really have to feather the gas on the highway or the thing kicks down.
Yeah I went through that kickdown all day today. Very aggravating. I thought it was the new transmission doing it. I remember reading a page from an R/T owner in Hawaii who pulled the SLOptimizer and put in a different controller. Have you heard anything about that?

BLACK01RTCC said:
Oh not to scare you in all this but you wil LOVE the supercharger, My first drive I was like this :drool:. All of the midrange power the r/t was lacking the s/c makes it come on like a rocket.
Did you ever get any track numbers with the Kenne Bell on your R/T?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts