Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gonna change the oil in my durango this weekend. What oil filter should I use? Same thing with oil? FYI car has 40,000 miles on it.

Jason

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I use a Bosch oil filter and Valvoline 5w-30. I would read your manual for what weight of oil ot use.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK. I read the manual already to see what weight to use, just wanted to know what kind.

Thanks,
Jason

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oil and filter

i like to use valvoline oil, synthetic would be better, but if your on a budget regular oil is cool too. i usally buy the bostch filters they seem pretty good, but if you wanna spend some money , i hear the k&n oil filters are ok. hope this helps :D

·
The Anti-RUB
1,752 Posts
I use Castrol every 5k, and use FRAM oil filters every 10k. Been doing it for years in my other vehicles with no engine problems. My '03 D only has 7k miles on it, but I changed the filter at 1k (part of my break-in-period maintenance schedule) and have had no problems, and it actually runs a little cooler (according to the temp guage) then it did with the stock filter... Good luck...

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well,
I finally got around and changed it. Used a fram filter and mobil oil. Deff. feels different.

Thanks for the help,

Jason

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just remember with oil filters you can't see the difference in quality, and price is misleading also. I don't like Fram and in 30 years as a mechanic I have never ran one. For over 20 years I run only premiem filters. My choice has been Wix or Baldwin. Where do I buy these Napa Golds are Wix and Carquest filters are Wix, they sell around $5.00-$6.00. Baldwin can be found at most Truck Supply Co. Peterbuilt, K.W. etc.
You can change your oil every 2000 miles and if you use a cheap filter your wasting your time. I change my oil & filter every 5000 miles and have done this for most of my driving life, and have never lost an engine. In fact I just put new valve cover gaskets on my 86 F250 with 160,000 miles and the inside was perfectly clean.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've always used the manufacturer's brand, in this case Mopar, which I bought from the dealer. There should be no warranty problems with that.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats right no warranty questions. Remember a couple of things, the manufactures buy from the cheapest bidders, and the warranty is only 36,000 miles, I drive mine for closer to 200,000 miles. If the manufacture stopped honoring waranties because of aftermarket filters lawsuits would be in high gear. I suppose you use MOPAR OIL, MOPAR AIR FILTERS? You better no touch anything until the warranty is up. GET A GRIP.

·
Registered
22 Posts
See, you learn something every day. After owning and racing 9 different sports cars, most built from the ground up, I thought I knew everything. After reading that filter article, I bought a Puralator filter and tossed the Mopar filter.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found that web site to be very interesting, and I too learned something. I still use Napa Golds along with Valoline oils, because after using it in my last ten vehicles with a combined mileage of over a million miles without one engine failure due to oil or filter, I just can't change.

After thirty years twisting wrenches I'm pretty set in my ways, I don't think I know it all, I just think I know most things.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've been using the Amsoil sdf42 filter and amsoil synthetic in mine since I bought it. Change it every 5-7k. No problems here.
I was thinking of adding in the bypass filter system down the road. I just have to figure out where the heck I can fit it!! ;)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OMG!:rant: :rant: i will never EVER purchase a fram. after reading that i just want to kick my self in the ass. i have been using M1 synthetic at what $25 for 6Qt but getting the EG fram and its like great oil crap filter. My POOR dak, she has a bad owner. But I'm goning to change my ways for good.

this sure has been one eye opening post.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,752 Posts
I just re-read through the web site, one thing I noticed about the FRAM section is that it is using the "old" style filters, then I noticed the page hasn't been updated since 05/25/99. Since that time FRAM went through a re-design (like adding the "sure grip" ontop of the filter for easier install etc). Would be interesting to see if the internals also changed.

Either way, I (or my dad, who got me started with FRAMs) have never had a problem with FRAM oil filters. I'm gonna stick with them.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
mobil 1 oil and filter.....

·
Registered
509 Posts
Plat00Durango said:
Gonna change the oil in my durango this weekend. What oil filter should I use? Same thing with oil? FYI car has 40,000 miles on it.

Jason

Jason,

I would just use Chrysler's own for your Durango and use your own good quality oil. I like Mobil 1.

rimfire,22

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I use Mobil 1 oil and filter so I agree with rockadaous I read some where that you get really good filtration when you use Mobil 1 oil with a Mobil 1 oil filter. Something about the synthenic fibers in the Mobil 1 oil filter with the Mobil 1 oil really help the filtration process.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts